Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
BEEBEE
Hamopelli
City, State: Mesa AZ

Chiricahua National Monument Ranger Assault

Post by BEEBEE » Aug 30 2013 6:54 am

"I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts."

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Re: Chiricahua National Monument Ranger Assault

Post by cactuscat » Aug 30 2013 1:48 pm

Federal agents from our area are assisting with the investigation ...
Where is the "dislike" button?

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Sep 01 2013 6:13 am

WOW! A 60 year old Park Ranger must have been a real threat to their smuggling operation. Best wishes for her complete recovery.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Sep 03 2013 3:11 pm

Just as sad is that this is "a known drug smuggling corridor"....Apparently the Government Law Enforcement Divisions aren't willing to take the time or use Resources to alleviate that problem...Everyone is desensitized and just doesn't give a crap anymore and are willing to just let it be a "given".... :tt: It will probably take a foreign tourist being killed to embarrass the Government enough to crack down....An American LIfe isn't worth anything.... :?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Sep 03 2013 4:47 pm

Our leaders think it's more cost effective to send our troops around the world to protect the borders of other countries than keep them here and protect our own.
CannondaleKid

SkyIslandHiker
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Sahuarita&ShowLow AZ

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Apr 18 2017 4:22 pm

Glad to see some justice here. The culprit was just sentenced to a well-deserved 76 years in prison:
http://www.kvoa.com/st...

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer

Post by cactuscat » Apr 18 2017 4:35 pm

Amen! Some of my friends know and have worked with Karen Gonzales in the past - everyone was very glad to hear about this conviction and sentence. More stellar work by Investigative Services and the other agencies! http://www.nps.gov/orgs/1563/chir-assau ... encing.htm

flagscott
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Apr 18 2017 4:56 pm

I don't want to minimize this attack or any other. But some of the inflammatory comments above are somewhat divorced from reality. Crime rates (violent and otherwise) along the US-Mexican border are no higher than anywhere else in the country. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... by-county/

In 2014, El Paso was the safest city of its size in the US: https://www.newamerica.org/weekly/112/c ... he-border/

I realize that there are some unsafe places on the border, and smuggling certainly happens, but the problem is not as bad as some news outlets make it out to be.

friendofThundergod
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Apr 18 2017 6:15 pm

IMG_2235.JPG

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer

Post by cactuscat » Apr 18 2017 6:36 pm

@flagscott
I agree for the most part.

I have done a bit of border area hiking now, almost always solo - and yes I carry, but I have never felt anymore unsafe than in other parts of the state. Which is to say not at all unsafe.

Pretty regularly I will be speaking with a visitor/camper at my park and they ask about border safety and express concerns from what they have heard back home in Minnesota or Ohio or wherever ... I tell them my experiences and that in my opinion the danger is way overstated.

Return to “General”