Hiking Related – Not Trail Specific

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Latest Silicon Valley excess

Post by kingsnake » Mar 03 2014 5:15 pm

As if air hockey, free lunch, and charter bus commutes were not enough ...

"Twitter dismantles 100-year-old Wild West homestead cabins, ships them 1,000 miles and sets them up inside HQ so staff can use them for lunch breaks" [-X

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rters.html
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Re: Latest Silicon Valley excess

Post by Nighthiker » Mar 03 2014 6:17 pm

Wish they would have sent them a outhouse instead.
jk

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Mar 03 2014 6:18 pm

At least they'll be in a climatically-controlled environment(?) Accidental spills from the chai lattes might even act as a preservative...

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 03 2014 6:30 pm

PLC92084 wrote:At least they'll be in a climatically-controlled environment(?) Accidental spills from the chai lattes might even act as a preservative...
You always ignore PMs. I guess now that you are an Arizonan, you disdain us LaLaLanders.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Mar 03 2014 6:41 pm

azbackpackr wrote: I guess now that you are an Arizonan, you disdain us LaLaLanders
Disdain!? Not at all... That would imply I'm self-loathing and totally lacking in self-esteem (silence, Alston...). I have nothing against Cali-phony-ians (but I'm still shocked you've voluntarily become one!)

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 03 2014 7:50 pm

PLC92084 wrote:
azbackpackr wrote: I guess now that you are an Arizonan, you disdain us LaLaLanders
Disdain!? Not at all... That would imply I'm self-loathing and totally lacking in self-esteem (silence, Alston...). I have nothing against Cali-phony-ians (but I'm still shocked you've voluntarily become one!)
I didn't become one, I always have been one! My great-grandparents on my grandfather's side are buried about 15 miles from where I sit. On my grandmother's side, her people arrived by sailing ship in San Francisco in 1857. That's not a typo. What happened to my state? Most people here weren't even born here! They need to all go back to where they came from!

(Yes, I admit, I just told you in the PM I am probably moving back to Zonieland in the summer. Mainly because it's cheaper. I''ll show up with CA plates on my vehicles and everyone will hate me.)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Mar 03 2014 7:54 pm

azbackpackr wrote:They need to all go back to where they came from!
Gee, that sounds like something many in Arizona would say too. :lol:
Onward into oblivion!

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Mar 03 2014 8:18 pm

Pretty much any growth state has a percentage of people who think everyone else needs to go back to where they came from. They never seem to take it back more than the recent arrivals, and forget they came from elsewhere. Even on the Navajo Reservation, they would be somewhat serious, and somewhat jovial about whites being here, and they as "native" having some right to the land, despite that the entire Athabascan population came from elsewhere, like Canada. Most of the Rez, was completely uninhabited, or was Ute land, Kayenta and points west belonged to the Utes prior to the Navajos in the 1880s or 1890s. The Hopis came from the Grand Canyon (so the legend goes) and the upper Rio Grande region (Tewa). People have moved around throughout time. Etruscan was an Italic non-Indo-European language that got swallowed up by Indo-European Latin, Germanic languages over ran a few Latin based ones, who overran had another Indo-European Language spoken by the Celts and Iberians. What does any of this have to do with Arizona? Nothing, absolutely nothing! Excess!
Are you ready for some women's volleyball!?!? Some Monday night women's volleyball!!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 03 2014 8:33 pm

So, either we don't belong anywhere, or we belong everywhere?

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Mar 03 2014 8:45 pm

People move, it's a fact of life. It's what we do when we get there, how we treat those we either take over, or are economically above, what happens to the land, and so on. Also, how we drive.
Are you ready for some women's volleyball!?!? Some Monday night women's volleyball!!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 03 2014 8:53 pm

Jim_H wrote:People move, it's a fact of life. It's what we do when we get there, how we treat those we either take over, or are economically above, what happens to the land, and so on. Also, how we drive.
Ah, now there's the rub...how we drive!

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Mar 03 2014 10:41 pm

azbackpackr wrote:So, either we don't belong anywhere, or we belong everywhere?
I often reflect on people's sense of belonging. I haven't developed any earth-shattering insights, but it continues to fascinate me. I feel comfortable in many places, and people there seem comfortable with me, but some places have a much stronger pull than others. Not belonging anywhere seems pretty unusual to me, but I think some people have trouble connecting with that feeling. I also think belonging in a place is distinct from being happy there.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 04 2014 4:43 am

big_load wrote:I also think belonging in a place is distinct from being happy there.
Interesting observation. Happiness is probably not as connected to "place" as we've been led to believe. While many of us feel a great deal of happiness when on trips to the wilderness, these are short trips. I myself have tried living in remote areas more than once in my life, and have to say these experiences did not in and of themselves create happiness. Whatever happiness or contentment I am lucky enough to experience is an inner experience, not completely influenced by place. After all, you have to take yourself with you wherever you go. The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side of the fence. You have to make your own happiness within yourself. In 12-Step programs they talk about the "geographical cure" as being totally ineffective. I think this is somewhat true.

All that being said, I am sure glad to be out of Eagar, Arizona! I can think of many, many nice things to say about it and its citizens, and especially of the beautiful mountains surrounding it. But I'm glad I don't live there any longer! The only way I could see living there again would be if I could earn over $35,000 a year there AND have a nice guy to share my house with. As it was, I was making about $9,000 to $12,000 there. I couldn't afford to stay warm in those harsh winters.

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Mar 04 2014 10:25 am

azbackpackr wrote:Ah, now there's the rub...how we drive!
Yup, I recommend you take that motorhome and drive north for the summer and south for the winter. :y:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Mar 04 2014 10:53 am

Excess, huh? Not bad for a company that has never turned a profit and lost over $150 million in the last year and a half. I think analysts suggest it may finally have positive cashflow sometime by late 2015.

Nice cabins though.
Profound observer

Return to “General”