The Hike Book

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Grimey
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

The Hike Book

Post by Grimey » Feb 06 2020 2:20 pm

Just received an email from the publisher of Phoenix Magazine advertising a new book they are selling called The Hike Book. 228 of their favorite Arizona trails. Wondering if any members of Hike AZ know anything about it. Might be useful for pathologically solo hikers like myself (to know which trails to avoid.) :)

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: The Hike Book

Post by Sredfield » Feb 06 2020 2:35 pm

Has anyone seen it yet? I'd like to know how many trips in the book are not listed and documented on HAZ.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Feb 06 2020 2:59 pm

The author writes for azcentral, runs a popular hiking group on the site that cannot be named, and has her own hiking website as well.

While I haven’t seen the inside of this new book, the other sources she writes for have not featured any hikes that aren’t on HAZ that I’ve noticed with the possible exception of some more details on the dreadful BCT and MT.
Not guilty plea on all 3 counts

LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Feb 06 2020 3:51 pm

@chumley
Available at Costco and other major retailers on Feb. 22nd. Magazine format, so thumbing through and perusing a copy prior to a purchase should be doable.
Well, well, well...if it isn't the consequences of my own actions.

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Feb 06 2020 6:27 pm

Based on the author's website and Facebook group-- it can only be garbage.

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Feb 06 2020 7:09 pm

@Tough_Boots
lol ya if its from the person writing about hiking hot spots on AZ Central, ill pass too. Those articles are like copied and pasted from All Trails lol...oooo can't wait to hear all about the five best hikes in Sedona and the process for getting a permit at White Pockets, lol

Tortoise_Hiker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Feb 06 2020 7:23 pm

I like looking at different hiking books. I don’t think there is much in it that isn’t on Haz. Nothing to hardcore. It does list a few of the AZT sections. Sometimes looking at these kind of books get me to checkout new areas. I enjoyed flipping through it.😁
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

Hansenaz

Post by Hansenaz » Feb 07 2020 7:59 am

Yeah local hiking books can be fun to thumb through and/or fun to make fun of. But if you know how to use HAZ you don't need 'em.

wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes » Feb 07 2020 10:08 am

My policy is I only buy hiking books for places outside AZ, like Utah - where there isn't any website even a fraction as detailed as HAZ.

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Feb 08 2020 6:22 am

I have a small collection of about 20 vintage hiking books that are Arizona based. Discovered this website called Thriftbooks and they cull all the old books from thrift stores across the country. So far I've amassed a few books on peak bagging by Bob Martin, a couple of Grand Canyon guides by Harvey Butchart and a guide to the Santa Rita's by Pete Cowgill. Pretty fun to read how to get places before some of the freeways were put in. All of the books were sitting in a warehouse in New England or the midwest and selling for under $10.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Feb 08 2020 12:17 pm

I'll buy the book if it helps me find the elusive Flatiron TH or that mountain named for a cigarette.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Return to “Poems & Literature”