Linked Areas none
Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Changing Hands & AZW Brewing present Craig Childs - May 15th

Post by Tough_Boots » May 04 2018 11:30 am

***Free event***

Changing Hands Bookstore and Arizona Wilderness Brewing present Craig Childs
Join us for an AZ Wilderness Brewing tap takeover at our First Draft Book Bar as the author of House of Rain and The Secret Knowledge of Water visits with his latest, a vivid travelogue through prehistory that traces the arrival of the first people in North America at least twenty thousand years ago, and the artifacts that tell of their lives and fates.
when:
7pm Tuesday, May 15th

where:
Changing Hands Bookstore & First Draft Book Bar
300 w. Camelback Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85013

event details:
https://www.changinghands.com/event/may ... lost-world
Last edited by Tough_Boots on May 04 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Changing Hands & AZW Brewing present Craig Childs - May 15th

Post by big_load » May 16 2018 1:20 pm

It depends on the kind of book. Some of it is just a reminder of having met an interesting person. It's interesting how much signed books mean in other areas of interest. Mrs. big_load has quite a library of weaving books, and people care more about have a signed book from somebody that they know or studied with or who was considered influential in the weaving community. Some include samples, and the edition makes a big difference to some people depending on who wove the samples. I've seen an autographed book kick off hours of conversation about who learned what from whom, how different people approach problems differently, who is teaching workshops at various events, and a multitude of other practical and philosophical topics. Sadly, it also spurs a lot of talk about what some people were like when they were still alive.

Hansenaz
Ancient Dwellapelli

Post by Hansenaz » May 16 2018 1:23 pm

@chumley
I fully agree, plus I refuse to give autographs.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » May 16 2018 1:30 pm

big_load wrote:just a reminder of having met an interesting person
An old skool selfie? I guess it makes sense if it reminds you of having met somebody. But the rest of it is the content, not the autograph. The discussions, the samples, the workshops and events, obviously the writing contained in the book ... that's all clear enough to me.

But that definitely doesn't explain how it's more valuable to other people. Why would somebody pay more for your "memory". And if the value you place on it is a reminder, why in the world would you ever consider selling it to somebody else to begin with!?
Ja vi elsker dette landet

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » May 16 2018 1:35 pm

@chumley
My sister gave me one every Xmas. She's dead now, so I can't ask her. But she had a master's in library science, and valued books and their authors. Most recently, Tom Martin and Patch McCairen actually gave me signed copies of their books.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » May 16 2018 1:43 pm

chumley wrote:But that definitely doesn't explain how it's more valuable to other people. Why would somebody pay more for your "memory".
It gets pretty far out. I've sat through quite a few discussions that started: "This was so-and-so's copy of [other person]'s book". For people who care about relationships and the web of knowledge and tradition that seems to give a sense of connection. It's even worse with gear. When Mrs. big_load croaks, people are bound to be interested in something just because it was hers, more so if they know who she got it from.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » May 16 2018 1:51 pm

@big_load @azbackpackr
I actually get almost all of that. Relationships, knowledge, tradition, and certainly gear passed down among enthusiasts in a community of like interests.

Valuing books and their authors. The content is there, the name is on the cover.

I still don't get the autograph though. It doesn't change any of those things.

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » May 16 2018 3:27 pm

well all I know is my cousin-in-law's 90 year old mother was terribly jealous yesterday when I told her not only did I have George Montgomery's book with a personal note, I sat next to him at an art event and I remember how he taught me to clap my hands more lady-like.
And I remember most all of the nerve-wracking moments I had in acquiring Bob Hope (I didn't think it was him because he wasn't bald enough) in Atlanta and Henry Kissinger's (I mean Dr. Kissinger) autograph while walking to work in DC to name a few. I have about 15 autographs; all of them memorable to me and most were what you might call accidental.

So your question was intriguing and I don't know if this helps address your inquiry.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » May 16 2018 5:46 pm

@tibber
In my mind Chumley's question boils down to: "Why do people seek autographs?"
So while your reply is certainly interesting, no, it doesn't help much... :doh: :lol:
CannondaleKid

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » May 16 2018 6:23 pm

chumley wrote: I don’t understand why people place value on somebody else’s autograph.
The long answer:
I don't find it hard to understand. I consider a signed book to be like having an artist sign a print. If it was a line of people getting a glossy 8x10 headshot autographed, I might concede to your need to be contrary.

The short answer:
You don't have to understand.
trekkin_gecko wrote: I wouldn't mind knowing how the event was. Kyle? Too specific to the original topic? Did anyone actually attend?
It was a nice event-- about 75 in attendence. His fans really enjoy him-- the same kind of crowd that Charles Bowden used to attract (maybe a little less grizzled though).
Last edited by Tough_Boots on May 16 2018 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--bill callahan

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » May 16 2018 10:40 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:like having an artist sign a print
I also don't understand this. I know who made it regardless if it is signed or not.
Tough_Boots wrote:You don't have to understand
While I certainly concede the truth in this statement, sometimes I find that understanding the things that make us all unique is a benefit that helps me better relate to those who have different perspectives than I do. I hope that's not considered a bad thing.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » May 16 2018 11:17 pm

chumley wrote:I also don't understand this. I know who made it regardless if it is signed or not.
Funny thing about understanding others-- you need to consider viewpoints outside of your own. 🤣
--bill callahan

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » May 16 2018 11:37 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:
May 16 2018 11:17 pm
you need to consider viewpoints outside of your own.
I thought that was the whole point of me asking the question. I've yet to hear any viewpoints explained except that sometimes an autograph can be a reminder/memory to having met somebody. As Mark mentioned above, the why is still largely a mystery to me.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » May 17 2018 12:00 am

There's some stoned 19 year olds in a dorm room somewhere having a very similar conversation and doing a much better job at it.
--bill callahan

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » May 17 2018 3:54 am

@chumley
I think you have a valid question. For me, growing up in a bookish family, it was a "given" that a reader would like to have a signed copy of a favorite book. I don't think we ever asked "why?" We would have thought there were differences amongst: 1) finding a signed copy in a used bookstore, or 2) going to a book signing yourself and meeting the author, or 3) better yet, knowing the author well enough to receive a gift of a book addressed to yourself from the author.

I just finished reading Camino Island, a novel by John Grisham, in which one of the main themes is first editions and signed copies. (It's also a good yarn.) But the "why" of it, I don't really know. It's a very old tradition. Maybe people like to know that the actual author handled their particular copy?

I stopped by the used bookstore in Springerville years ago, when I lived nearby, to browse and talk to the owner, Robyn Burnham, a friend. She said, "Oh, I have a book for you I've been saving!" She reached under the counter and pulled out a very battered paperback copy of Desert Solitaire. I opened it and saw that it was signed by the author, Edward Abbey. I was very thrilled. She sold it to me for 5 bucks. So, this is now a prized possession of mine.

But that still does not answer your question. Why would it be thrilling to have this old battered copy, just because Ed Abbey once handled it and signed it? I have no really good answer for you.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » May 17 2018 7:37 am

Why do people ask for/cherish autographed items?
My top two votes would be:
1. Bragging-rights
2. Another excuse for hoarding

Due to the smart phone boom I believe written autographs will soon be a thing of the past, replaced by the ubiquitous autograph-by-selfie, which IMO, are simply about raising their self-worth, or self-importance, if you will... everything seems to be about me, me, me!
:M2C:
CannondaleKid

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » May 17 2018 9:16 am

People like different things because different things resonate with different people. Signed books, antique fans, typewriters, stamps, Pyrex, Instagram likes, numbered peaks, benchmarks, sports. Who gives a poo? Being able to accept often shows more strength of character than trying to understand. Compulsively (and publically) trying to understand can sometimes just be a show of self-importance.
--bill callahan

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » May 17 2018 9:38 am

Tough_Boots wrote:Being able to accept often shows more strength of character than trying to understand.
I don't think these two things are mutually exclusive. Things that resonate is an intriguing subject for discussion. Psychology, human nature, self-reflection, etc.

But I'm probably gonna need a huge bong hit first. :D

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » May 17 2018 10:30 am

chumley wrote:I don't think these two things are mutually exclusive.
Not always but quite often they need to be. Trying to understand is fine but if you have to understand someone else's "whatever" to accept it then you're really just making it about you. You shouldn't have to "relate" to someone to accept them.
--bill callahan

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » May 17 2018 10:50 am

Tough_Boots wrote:Trying to understand is fine but if...
The but if part is all you.

My questions here haven’t gone beyond the trying to understand part.

Apologies do anybody who feels my curiosity is unaccepting.

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » May 17 2018 11:50 am

A few years ago I got on a historical autograph kick. Mainly people of AZ., like General George Crook, Captain John O. Bourke and others associated with the Indian wars. I really wanted Al Seiber and Tom Horn, but to no avail and that was part of it, the hunt. Autographs given by celebs didn't do it for me, but I did get two that really made great gifts. A good friend of mine has always had the classic Blondie poster of Deborah Harry in his office. One day at the gallery my mouth dropped when Deborah Harry came in looking for vintage jewelry. I asked her for an autograph for my "friend" and she winked and said sure. No really my name is Alston and he is Dave, it's legit. Made his day. The wife of my best bud in Japan had lost her mother and shortly after we were over and met her father. In his broken English he somehow conveyed to me his love for American actress Ali MacGraw. Well I see Ali every summer in Santa Fe at a show we do and I asked her for her autograph for Hiroaki. She sent me a vintage photo of herself made out to Hiroaki. MY friend said when he opened it he cried. It's now on the TV next to a picture of his wife. Autographs effect people differently, something most of us won't understand like climbing Camelback in June at 4pm.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Return to “Poems & Literature”