New Book: Chasing Centuries

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
GeeEss
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

New Book: Chasing Centuries

Post by GeeEss » Dec 12 2018 9:15 am

A few of you may be aware of my ongoing research regarding ancient cultures and agaves. In that light, I have written a book, which may be of interest to some here, and should be available from the publisher within a week, with wider distribution to all the usual sources to follow. We're currently putting together a book tour, which will include presentations at AAS Verde Valley and Archaeology Cafe. More venues to follow.
CC_Flyer.jpg
[ Chasing Centuries: The Search for An ... uthwest ]

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: New Book: Chasing Centuries

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 12 2018 10:32 am

@GeeEss
Interesting! Will there be a Kindle edition?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

GeeEss

Post by GeeEss » Dec 12 2018 10:52 am

Sorry, not at this time.

Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 12 2018 1:27 pm

Are you the person who totally re-wired my head about Perry Mesa and the agave nurseries? That then led to following the agave dna trail along side the pottery trail.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

GeeEss

Post by GeeEss » Dec 12 2018 2:20 pm

Hmmmm.... Can't say I recall that, but it sorta sounds like me. Some very interesting agaves on Perry Mesa.

Hansenaz

Post by Hansenaz » Dec 12 2018 3:15 pm

That's excellent...congratulations. I need to get that book. I have little faith that I can assimilate enough that it would help, but I often find myself noticing agaves and wondering whether they are descendants of ancient cultivated ones, unusual for their location, or just pretty.
Last edited by Hansenaz on Dec 12 2018 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GeeEss

Post by GeeEss » Dec 12 2018 4:55 pm

@Hansenaz Thank you. The book will absolutely help you identify local agaves, and help you determine whether agaves near archaeology sites are wild or domesticated cultivars. Whenever you find any that catch your eye, shoot me a pic, and we'll see what we have. I am still out there doing what I do, the research continues. Ha! "Research". Let's get real -- I'm out there having a ball!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 13 2018 8:23 am

@GeeEss
This is so interesting! I will be interested in buying the book. The desert I live in is the Mojave, in the Tri-State area, which also has agave at certain elevations. I have to wonder if the ancients brought some to the area. There are loads of petroglyph sites around here. I found an interesting website which mentions roasting pits. Here is a list from that site of the species near Las Vegas: https://www.birdandhike.com/Veg/Species ... _Yucca.htm
Last edited by azbackpackr on Dec 13 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 13 2018 12:02 pm

@GeeEss
I read an article back in 2006/07 about a study done on Perry Mesa about the agaves and how they were imported, raised and traded. I think it came out of ASU, but I don't remember the author. It finally answered the question about the piles of rocks by the cliff edges that turned out to be nurseries. The article also talked about their DNA trail and how the trade routes worked. Whereas before the routes were based on the pottery trails. I'll be adding your book to our collection.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

GeeEss

Post by GeeEss » Dec 13 2018 4:27 pm

@azbackpackr
I have been in your area a few times, the only agaves known there are two different forms of A. utahensis, and they are both spectacular plants! But I'll tell you a secret, I have also found some very mysterious and little known agaves in the Grapevine Canyon area, and these may be cultivars, I am not sure. Research is ongoing!

GeeEss

Post by GeeEss » Dec 13 2018 4:33 pm

@Alston_Neal
Agaves on Perry Mesa were certainly cultivated, and I believe some might be cultivars, but the jury is still out on that score, in part because what present as distinct but similar agaves there appear to be hybridizing, so sort of a nucleotide goulash that continuing DNA analysis may eventually sort out. In any case, there is at least one new undescribed species there, possibly more.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 14 2018 4:34 am

@GeeEss
Yes, I'm not surprised. I snowbird in Needles, and so Grapevine isn't too far. Have been there a few times. I'll watch for the agaves next time!

GeeEss

Post by GeeEss » Dec 21 2018 11:56 am

Books are now in hand and ready to ship. If anyone would like a signed copy, send $23 + $3 shipping (AZ residents $2.05 sales tax) to chasingcenturies@agaveville.org via Paypal, and it will go right out. Otherwise, Amazon is expecting their stock by Jan 1.

Also, I would like to thank this forum and its many fine members for your assistance in my research. I had many sources for my frequent habitat excursions, and this was a good one. I often stop in to browse photo sets, looking for arch. sites and interesting agaves, and found many fine tips here. I did not post as many routes and triplogs as I might because I often failed to complete the hikes, distracted by interesting plants along way. But I tried to contribute what I could when I did go the distance. Keep up the good work. I am certain other researchers utilize the site in a similar manner.

Return to “Poems & Literature”