Photos - Incredible Quantity & Quality this month

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Photos - Incredible Quantity & Quality this month

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Aug 25 2006 9:29 pm

WOW - We are well on our way to surpassing the prior record for quantity of photos - and - I feel that we are well on our way to surpassing the record for quality of photos. Keeping up with these photos is like drinking from a fire hose. Great job everybody. This is just incredible. I only wish that I had more time to look at all of these photos. Please don't get mad at me for not rating your photos - there is just not enough time in my day. I hope I am not insulting anybody by not having the time to rate your photos. :sorrry:

ps If you look at the stats you'll see what I'm talking about.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

cathymocha
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by cathymocha » Aug 26 2006 1:46 pm

I wholely agree! Thanks everyone for sharing these adventures.
:mrgreen:

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Aug 27 2006 11:16 pm

I would like to point out AZHikr4444. Phenomenal pictures lately! Keep up the good work.

By the way, I am now relenting to the digital age. I have acquired a sweet new PC, with the latest version of Photoshop. Now I just need to get a camera...maybe a Nikon D70s. Gotta do more research. Anyway, just thought I'd mention this since I've been a little bit against digital on this site.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 28 2006 6:21 am

I like all the photos, too. But when I tried to put some on here, they didn't load. What am I doing wrong?

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Aug 28 2006 6:32 am

azbackpackr wrote:I like all the photos, too. But when I tried to put some on here, they didn't load. What am I doing wrong?

I'd like to help. First and foremost they must be .jpg type, which is the most used format on the internet. Simply renaming the extension to .jpg won't work as we read the properties of the photo to be sure it's the right type.

Procedure
Choose a Hike and advance to the next screen. You will now have the opportunity to upload up to 5 photos in a batch at a time.

For each photo, ie:
* Photo A - click on Browse and choose a photo from your computer/harddrive.
* Next be sure to rename the photo, always start with 1.

Continue with B,C,D & E as needed. Then click Upload Batch. Please be patient, it will take anywhere from a few seconds to a ten minutes depending on your internet connection speed. Wait for the screen to refresh between each batch.

Upload Status
It's a good idea to glance down at the Upload Status & Photos delivered to HAZ boxes between each screen refresh. If you see any errors you'll need to correct and re-upload. Please be sure your there's a consecutive run of numbers in your Photos delivered to HAZ box. If photos are missing please reload the missing numbers.

If you're still having trouble PM me your operating system and version & your browser and version. thxs

al1inaz wrote:WOW - We are well on our way to surpassing the prior record for quantity of photos
Looks like we blew it out of the ball park in AUGUST!
Check this out...
2002 through 2004 = 1.8 gigabytes photos
August 2006 = 1.6 gigabytes photos
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Aug 28 2006 7:33 am

Its awesome. I love seeing all the cool places people go to that I don't have access to at the moment.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

fricknaley
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by fricknaley » Aug 28 2006 7:41 am

Plus all the great photos are inspirational for me to try and take better ones, too. There are great photographers on this site.

AZHikr4444
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by AZHikr4444 » Aug 28 2006 9:28 pm

In response to Matt Hoffman's reply:

Wow- thanks Matt! I appreciate the compliment! I've been given a wealth of tips- from Randy, Trish, Joe...plus reading a lot of books and internet sites. I'm also poised to take a couple of upcoming two day workshops. Hiking has kinda "opened up" an interest in photography for me- and not just nature, but other forms as well. You might spot me out and about in the East Valley, camera in hand...there are some VERY interesting folks out there!

Course, I'm only beginning to move beyond the "most shots are just plain luck" stage!

Good luck with your new setup and camera, Matt...I'm looking forward to seeing some awesome rock climbing photos!

Mike
A true outdoorsman, when treed by a bear, sits back and enjoys the view.

Lost? Hell, I ain't never been lost. But I have been a mite confused for a week or two.
-The Mountain Men

Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Re: Photos - Incredible Quantity & Quality this month

Post by Crocodile Ryan » Aug 26 2007 5:23 pm

This is kinda related to the quantity of photos..... :)

I recently hiked Mt Whitney and traveled through Nicaragua, Guatemala, Honduras, and Belize climbing a few volcanoes along the way, and I wanted to post a few of the pictures - maybe tempt a few people to make the trip, but I cant find the personal photos area any longer, did that go away with the upgrade of the site?
An adventure is merely an inconvience rightly considered

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 26 2007 5:33 pm

Just go to the normal Photo Upload
Don't select a hike, instead look at the bottom line and click "Generic Hike"

Anybody can post hiking photos worldwide, or even Arizona skiing photos for that matter :)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

djui5
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Re:

Post by djui5 » Aug 26 2007 6:55 pm

Hoffmaster wrote:maybe a Nikon D70s.

That's a VERY nice camera! You can't go wrong with Nikon glass :D

Hoffmaster

Re: Re:

Post by Hoffmaster » Aug 26 2007 7:03 pm

djui5 wrote:
Hoffmaster wrote:maybe a Nikon D70s.

That's a VERY nice camera! You can't go wrong with Nikon glass :D
The Nikon D80 came out like 5 minutes after I posted that, so I bought that instead. I got a Nikon 18-135mm lens, which is a piece of junk by Nikon standards, but it's my primary lens for now. Recently I picked up the Nikon 60mm Macro, which is absolutely phenomenol! Next on the list is something like a 10-24mm. It'd be cool to have something really wide; almost fish-eye.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 26 2007 7:08 pm

a different category but anybody that's currently looking and interested in Nikon should wait until November when the new D300 comes out

it was just announced last Thursday
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Crzy4AZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Crzy4AZ » Aug 26 2007 9:02 pm

I don't have a reference point for the quantity since I just recently joined the site. But I can say that I'm officially addicted to checking for new photo sets. I get all sad by Thursday when the weekend sets aren't popping up anymore. Whenever I have a minute at work I am on HAZ looking at pictures tempting the little red spy eye icon in the taskbar knowingly violating the network usage policy. It's all worth it though to see such beautiful places and the stories people tell both directly and indirectly with their photo sets.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Aug 27 2007 8:44 am

Network Usage Policy! Just tell them you're feeling stressed and might inflict physical harm on your coworkers :gun: if you don't get a few minutes to relax by enjoying serene photos of the Arizona Wilderness. Make sure they know that IT is the primary cause of your stress. : rambo : They'll let it go. It's not like you're downloading movies, streaming music, or otherwise hogging company bandwith. (Disclaimer: this suggestion only works if the IT-police have a sense of humor and may result in your termination [or prosecution!] if improperly attempted!). :cry:
Highway to hell

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Aug 27 2007 3:48 pm

All of the amazing photography on this website continues to inspire me and my photography. Sometimes I feel like I just can't keep up with the quality of photos I see here!
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Jun 02 2008 11:47 pm

I posted some new pics to my Calloway gallery. Images 12-22 are new.

http://www.hikearizona.com/photocodeZOOM.php?ID=5409

I love West Clear Creek!

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Jun 03 2008 6:25 am

One of the many things I love about this community is how little negative feedback you get when it comes to photography. I remember years back being made to take an art class to fill a requirement at the U and getting all kinds of unsolicited beta from people whose pictures were arguably much worse than mine. Perspective is hard to capture, its what made Ansel Adams who he was. I'm no Ansel and never will be, but most everyone on here "gets" my pics because we all appreciate the outdoors, trails, wildlife, etc. That's a fun thing to be a part of! :)
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

desertgirl
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by desertgirl » Jun 06 2008 12:08 am

Its been quite while since I posted any pictures here. ( I have in the past month posted a few - Escalante Route, Monument Valley and Calloway Trail) This is a great community to get some constructive feedback. The excellent photos are inspirational !

Joe- Thanks for the features that allow for easy comments and rating :)

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Aug 20 2008 7:24 pm

Jeff MacE wrote:One of the many things I love about this community is how little negative feedback you get when it comes to photography. I remember years back being made to take an art class to fill a requirement at the U and getting all kinds of unsolicited beta from people whose pictures were arguably much worse than mine. Perspective is hard to capture, its what made Ansel Adams who he was. I'm no Ansel and never will be, but most everyone on here "gets" my pics because we all appreciate the outdoors, trails, wildlife, etc. That's a fun thing to be a part of! :)
I can't figure out how people decide to rate the photos the way they do. It seems some of it is friends they have, some is because its pretty, and some just makes no sense at all. Some people really love alpine rats. I don't know what makes people like a picture or dislike a picture and rate it accordingly. Don't really care much either. One time a guy sent me a unsolicited PM telling me people were rating my pictures low because my horizons weren't level. Many of my horizons aren't level because it can be hard to level a camera when looking at the small scree which has sun glare on it. I have tried a little harder to level them though. I didn't respond to him, but I also never really cared about the ratings I get.

I consistently see one member rating my photos on the lower end, 2's and 3's. I have seen this same person rate a photo that belongs to a person they might know much higher. To me the photo doesn't necessarily merit such a lofty rating compared to my own. I have also seen people rate a nearly identical photo to one I have posted much higher and with greater frequency than my own. In the end, I don't care about critics, raters, or really what people think about my sets at all. I mostly post so friends and family can access the site and see them, or because I'm saying, "this is what I did and this is how it looked". Thats why you'll never see a photo of a wildflower in my set, its about where I've been, not scoring kudos.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

Return to “Poems & Literature”