Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Craig Childs is coming to Tempe!

Post by Tough_Boots » Aug 19 2010 12:20 pm

Hey everyone! Just giving you a heads up that we have Craig Childs coming to my bookstore (Changing Hands) on Sept. 27th to talk about and sign his new book Finders Keepers: A Tale of Archaeological Plunder and Obsession. His signings and presentations are always worth checking out!
Meet Craig Childs
7pm Monday, September 27 at Changing Hands Bookstore

Naturalist and adventurer Craig Childs, a frequent contributor to NPR's Morning Edition, presents his book Finders Keepers: A Tale of Archaeological Plunder and Obsession. To whom does the past belong? Beyond what most people think about archaeology—with its cleanly numbered dates and thrilling discoveries—lies a vibrant and controversial realm of scientists, thieves, and contested land claims. In Finders Keepers, Childs explores the field's transgressions against the cultures it tries to preserve. With his trademark lyrical style, Childs carries readers directly into his adventures and discoveries, lifting the curtain on the ethical dilemmas and dark side of archaeology. It is a book about man and nature, remnants and memory, a dashing tale of crime and detection. In other words, a ghost story. More info: HouseOfRain.com.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Re: Craig Childs is coming to Tempe!

Post by Alston_Neal » Sep 28 2010 11:12 am

As`soon as the weather cools down, I'm goin huntin fer a Salado pot held together with maskin tape. I know it's a half mile from where it's supposed to be.
So the ethical question is......Is stealing a stolen pot, that was illegally dug a bad thing?
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

Randal_Schulhauser
Historic Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Sep 28 2010 11:43 am

My bad in conversation last night;

GREG CHILD Mountaineer/Photographer/Collaborator for many David Roberts books is not CRAIG CHILDS Author/Desert Ecologist/Adventurer

:oops:

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli

Post by JoelHazelton » Sep 28 2010 12:02 pm

Randal Schulhauser wrote:My bad in conversation last night;

GREG CHILD Mountaineer/Photographer/Collaborator for many David Roberts books is not CRAIG CHILDS Author/Desert Ecologist/Adventurer

:oops:
:lol: What are the chances?
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Sep 28 2010 12:29 pm

Alston Neal wrote:Is stealing a stolen pot, that was illegally dug a bad thing?
I think if you find it you should send it to him and see what he does with it!
--bill callahan

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Sep 28 2010 12:40 pm

Tough_Boots wrote:
I think if you find it you should send it to him and see what he does with it!
I so wanted to say last night.....Well that mystery is now solved, I couldn't figure out why that pot I found had prehistoric masking tape in it.

Our humble abode..

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Sep 28 2010 12:42 pm

@Alston Neal
or that you restored it with duct tape! :sl:
--bill callahan

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Sep 28 2010 1:14 pm

:y: ..That would have been perfect!
Except ya never know there might be humorless folks present.
Btw.. Tough boots where were you sitting? I saw nobody that looked like your avatar, cuz I would have introduced myself.

Our humble abode..

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 28 2010 1:20 pm

Alston Neal wrote:Btw.. Tough boots where were you sitting? I saw nobody that looked like your avatar, cuz I would have introduced myself.
He wouldn't have recognized you either, with pants on. :sl:

Randal_Schulhauser
Historic Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Sep 28 2010 1:57 pm

Alston Neal wrote:My wife and I truly enjoyed Craig last night and some good questions were asked.
I wish I recognized you folks so I could introduce myself.

;)
Sorry we missed you last night. My wife Lynn and I were seated kinda dead center of the pack...

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Sep 28 2010 3:54 pm

Deb and I were in the back by where they were bringing out the chairs, she was dressed in black and I have white hair and a goatee and look like an a-hole.

Interestingly today in our gallery I had a couple of different folks come in with prehistoric pots to sell. Although I don't buy them I always like to get a feel for the kind of person they are. They usually fall into one of two types..old Arizona and they inherited them or tweeker. Today the story from both was their parents found them in caves in the forties. But they add quickly...on private land.
What does one do with this stuff? I talked recently with the curator of one of our esteemed local museums about this. They say that they will no longer take them as donations, but have them sign a paper transfering ownership. So no tax write off.
In our biz we see so much prehistoric material out there, I worry sometimes that some of this ends up in the landfill.

Our humble abode..

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli

Post by JoelHazelton » Sep 28 2010 3:57 pm

Alston Neal wrote:I have white hair and a goatee and look like an a-hole.
:lol:
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 28 2010 4:41 pm

Alston Neal wrote:Deb and I were in the back by where they were bringing out the chairs, she was dressed in black and I have white hair and a goatee and look like an a-hole.

Interestingly today in our gallery I had a couple of different folks come in with prehistoric pots to sell. Although I don't buy them I always like to get a feel for the kind of person they are. They usually fall into one of two types..old Arizona and they inherited them or tweeker. Today the story from both was their parents found them in caves in the forties. But they add quickly...on private land.
What does one do with this stuff? I talked recently with the curator of one of our esteemed local museums about this. They say that they will no longer take them as donations, but have them sign a paper transfering ownership. So no tax write off.
In our biz we see so much prehistoric material out there, I worry sometimes that some of this ends up in the landfill.
Take it and return it to the wilderness?
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Sep 28 2010 5:38 pm

Alston Neal wrote:Deb and I were in the back by where they were bringing out the chairs
I was probably sitting a row or two in front of you. I was about half way back but near the end near where we bring out the chairs.
--bill callahan

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Sep 29 2010 10:38 am

PageRob wrote:
Alston Neal wrote:Deb and I were in the back by where they were bringing out the chairs, she was dressed in black and I have white hair and a goatee and look like an a-hole.

Take it and return it to the wilderness?
That's a nice concept, but when my wife and I go into a house to deal with the estate where we're there for the historic to modern Native art. We see years of collecting from around the southwest, so the redistribution of pounds of sherds, manos, metates, tools, etc. would be quite an undertaking. This is why I posed this problem. Can you imagine foking with the Archies by unknowingly placing stuff maybe more than a hundred miles from where it came from?

Our humble abode..

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Sep 29 2010 10:40 am

Tough_Boots wrote:
Alston Neal wrote:Deb and I were in the back by where they were bringing out the chairs
I was probably sitting a row or two in front of you. I was about half way back but near the end near where we bring out the chairs.
If you were wearing a blue shirt and having a sandwhich with your beloved, then you were right in front of us.
So near yet so far...

Our humble abode..

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Sep 29 2010 10:49 am

Should have used the rainbow wave
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 29 2010 11:14 am

Alston Neal wrote:That's a nice concept, but when my wife and I go into a house to deal with the estate where we're there for the historic to modern Native art. We see years of collecting from around the southwest, so the redistribution of pounds of sherds, manos, metates, tools, etc. would be quite an undertaking. This is why I posed this problem. Can you imagine foking with the Archies by unknowingly placing stuff maybe more than a hundred miles from where it came from?
Well, considering that Jeddito Black-on-Yellow has been found south of Phoenix in a legitimate excavation, it wouldn't be awful.
In all seriousness, if you want to redress ancient sherds I can give you a hand. I am pretty decent at IDing in the field. With the sherd in hand (or multiple photos in front of me) and my resources, I do pretty dang good. That could narrow down where you could "redistribute".
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Sep 29 2010 12:01 pm

I'll keep you in mind. A month ago we did an estate appraisal and in it was just lots of prehistoric stuff that really didn't have any value. Well not monetary in regards to the estate. So I have no idea what this woman will do with this stuff, since we didn't even want the contemporay art.

Our humble abode..

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Sep 29 2010 12:12 pm

Alston Neal wrote:If you were wearing a blue shirt and having a sandwhich with your beloved, then you were right in front of us.
So near yet so far...
Not me... though a sandwich would have been nice!
--bill callahan

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Sep 29 2010 3:33 pm

Oh so you were that sweet lady from New York... :whistle:

Our humble abode..

Return to “Poems & Literature”