Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Survival Wisdom & Know-How

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Jun 21 2011 8:27 pm

I received this book for Fathers Day from my parents. Pretty interesting reading. I have been just browsing in the plants section. I was wondering if anybody has heard of this book, and if it's been published in a smaller version. It's from the Editors of Stackpole Books. My book is about 12" by 14". Not really something I want to pack in an overnight bag.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

friendofThundergod
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Re: Survival Wisdom & Know-How

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 08 2014 8:12 am

I was trying to find a thread to recycle I hope I picked the right one. Here is some decent reading about survival myths, I stress decent, as I think any hiker will not find anything overly provocative or thought changing in article, its some pretty cliche basic stuff, that I would hope most seasoned hikers know by now, but it was somewhat interesting..I found the most interesting thing to be the statistic regarding lost hikers...it says 80 percent of lost hikers in U.S. and N. America are day-hikers, makes sense I guess, certainly believable..I have hiked with plenty of day-hikers who don't use GPS, don't carry maps, first aid kits etc and go by what the TH maps says that morning, or they bring some printed out map from an outdated forest service page that amounts to drawn lines on a blank piece of paper with no cardinal directions or topo features...sigh... :? trying to get in that 80 percent I guess..lol anyways here is article..prob wont blow too many people away..

( dead link removed )
( dead link removed )

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 08 2014 9:20 am

Quote of the day:
To me survival is only when you’ve made so many bad decisions that, if you don’t take immediate action, you might die. It’s having an ego that gets you into trouble, and not being flexible.
And the linked article on finding water in the desert relies on three very basic observations:
look for broad-leafed trees,
look for birds/insects
look in north facing canyons
http://www.theactivetimes.com/how-survi ... ter-desert
Highway to hell

friendofThundergod
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 08 2014 9:33 am

@chumley
been there with the ego lol...like no no I cant link up with trail rather than back-track and find trail, a mile later..ok lets backtrack and find trail..sigh

Return to “Poems & Literature”