Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
hippiepunkpirate
Chameleon Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Sierra Nevada or Colorado Guidebook Recommendations

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Jan 23 2013 4:21 pm

Looking ahead to summer / early fall, I'm looking to plan a trip to either the Sierra Nevada or Colorado (with any luck, both), with the intention of doing a multi-day backpacking trip bookended with a couple days of car-camping and shorter dayhikes. I was wondering if anyone has any favorite guidebooks for either area? For Colorado, I would be most interested in the San Juans as they are closest, by guidebooks for the whole state are fine as long as they are good. I'll also take specific hike recommendations here, although I don't have any real length/time constraints yet. Mainly I just like to get high up near or above treeline with some nice lakes and/or streams and great views. I wouldn't mind doing a walk-up or light scramble peak bag in the mix, but I can easily find info to do something like that on 14ers.com. I'm more concerned about finding some great high altitude backpacks in awesome places.
?
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Sierra Nevada or Colorado Guidebook Recommendations

Post by Jim_H » Jan 23 2013 6:27 pm

Both the Sierra and the Rockies? Daring. Not since 2008 have I had duel trips to the Rockies and the Sierra. It's always been one or the other. Summitpost can provide some online info. The Sierra Page is pretty good. If you really want to be daring, go to the Tetons, or the Uintas.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Sierra Nevada or Colorado Guidebook Recommendations

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 24 2013 9:52 pm

I like the book Sierra South. I'm not sure what edition it's on now--the one I have is 40 years old! However, the newer edition is readily available. Sierra North is its companion book, but the Southern Sierras are where it's at, in my opinion.
http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-South-Back ... ikearizona
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Poems & Literature”