Linked Areas none
joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Tom's Thumb Trail - "It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad..."

Post by joebartels » Nov 09 2014 7:43 pm

Nov. 8, 2014

Greetings,

I am a longtime journalist and author. I just wanted to let you know that my new book called “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Trip: On the Road of the Longest Two-Week Family Road Trip in History” includes the Hike Arizona website page for Tom's Thumb.

We included information about attractions that we either visited or passed close by on our record-breaking road trip. Our friend lives in Phoenix and recommended the site. We included a link to the website and more details in the appendix.

The book is about our trip from Maryland to California and back in only 17 days during the summer of 2013, as well as a primer on how to take a road trip. At almost 7,000 miles, we set a record for the longest family road trip in a roughly two-week span, certified by RecordSetter, a competitor of Guinness World Records. My kids really wanted to visit Hollywood, so we decided to see if we could drive all the way during our roughly two-week vacation. It was kind of like a real-life National Lampoon's Vacation, but with no dead bodies or theme park BB gun incidents.
The book contains fun facts, resources, and tips, including some humorous tips from my kids on various attractions and dealing with a long road trip. My kids had some interesting observations that played no small part in one reviewer calling this book, "A hoot!" Another said the book "never fails to entertain."
The book has been well-received, and we have completed a book tour, including an appearance at the Library of Congress' annual National Book Festival Aug. 30 in Washington, D.C. So a lot of people are hearing about and reading the book.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Kevin Shay
WTG paulshikleejr & the HAZ community!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Return to “Poems & Literature”