Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

"Wild" Movie coming out on Friday

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 02 2014 3:46 pm

I think I'll go see this movie, "Wild." I read the book and enjoyed it, although I liked it more for the fact the woman, Cheryl, started out totally unprepared for backpacking the PCT, but ended up learning as she went. By the time she finished the trail she was a fairly seasoned backpacker. But, another woman backpacker I know likes the story more for the personal stuff Cheryl overcame, rather than as a "backpacking story." So, each of us sees it differently. I did enjoy the book, and I expect I will enjoy the movie.

All of her personal issues were part of the story, of course, although her problems with life didn't resonate with me all that much. Such as, why was she so doggone attached to her mother, to the point of obsession? I thought it a bit odd. And then as I recall there was a heroin addiction? But anyway, she supposedly became a stronger person in the end. If she hadn't it wouldn't have been much of a story, right? If you are going to write a book like this one that SELLS you have to have adversity and then some means of overcoming it, along with a happy and thoughtful ending. So, blah blah blah, but I liked the backpacking part.

Yes, yes, I know, I have heard it has created a real problem on the PCT. A lot of people believe they are going to "find themselves" by hiking the trail, and the hiker numbers are way, way up this past couple of years or so since the book came out. The movie is not going to help the problem of there being too many hikers, it will make it worse. In time, however, the fad will fade. Probably not without a few hiker deaths and injuries, though.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn2-GSqPyl0
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: "Wild" Movie coming out on Friday

Post by rwstorm » Dec 05 2014 10:55 am

@Alston Neal
Just looking at the trailer...I'd say it's my kind of movie. :)
From the vaults of Jacob Waltz...with a little help from his Buddy Weiser

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Dec 05 2014 2:29 pm

So where can I find Dark Mountain?
Last edited by RowdyandMe on Dec 05 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 05 2014 2:56 pm

Netflix......prepare to be mesmerized.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 30 2014 3:40 pm

I went to see Wild today. I really enjoyed it. People keep telling me it's "not a backpacking movie." But to me it was, because she went out on the trail with all her personal baggage, both on her back and between her ears, and lightened her load as she went along, came to some kind of peace. Don't most of us find some peace from our demons when hiking?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » May 09 2015 3:39 pm

In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » May 09 2015 3:58 pm

Hahaha! That's funny! It's also funny because in the real story, by the time Cheryl Strayed got to Oregon she had become a pretty seasoned backpacker. It was only south in the Mojave Desert, Kennedy Meadows, etc., that she really had the learning curve. (Remember, she makes it clear she did not hike the whole PCT. Mojave Desert to Oregon, which is not to be sneezed at.)

Incidentally, I have a Kindle and I recently got on a kick of reading thru-hiker memoirs. Some of them are really entertaining. They are basically self-published, available only on Kindle, perhaps in need of a little editing, but to my very picky eye, not too bad. So far I have read and enjoyed, about the PCT:
"Thru-Hiking Will Break Your Heart" by Carrot Quinn
"Rabid," by Libby Zangle
and am reading now about the AT:
"Balancing on Blue," by Keith Foskett

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jul 18 2016 2:12 pm

Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

flagscott
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by flagscott » Jul 18 2016 4:13 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Hahaha! That's funny! It's also funny because in the real story, by the time Cheryl Strayed got to Oregon she had become a pretty seasoned backpacker. It was only south in the Mojave Desert, Kennedy Meadows, etc., that she really had the learning curve. (Remember, she makes it clear she did not hike the whole PCT. Mojave Desert to Oregon, which is not to be sneezed at.)

Incidentally, I have a Kindle and I recently got on a kick of reading thru-hiker memoirs. Some of them are really entertaining. They are basically self-published, available only on Kindle, perhaps in need of a little editing, but to my very picky eye, not too bad. So far I have read and enjoyed, about the PCT:
"Thru-Hiking Will Break Your Heart" by Carrot Quinn
"Rabid," by Libby Zangle
and am reading now about the AT:
"Balancing on Blue," by Keith Foskett
I'm a little late to this thread, but "The Cactus Eaters" by Dan White remains my all-time favorite PCT book. It's definitely the funniest. He was a journalist, so he knows how to write (unlike a lot of other "authors" who write thru-hike memoirs).

Carrot's book was excellent, too. I believe she's working on a CDT book now.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 18 2016 6:04 pm

@flagscott
Thanks much, I will look for it. I really liked Keith Foskett's books. He wrote about Camino de Santiago in Spain, and also the AT and PCT. He's called "Fozzie" on the trail and he is oh so veddy English. Pretty good for an amateur writer. Incidentally, I didn't think the movie "A Walk in the Woods" had near the humor the book had, although it was entertaining.

Also, a HAZ member from Yuma, good friend of mine, is hiking the PCT right now. Had to skip the Sierras due to snow. She will return in Sept to finish that section. She tried going up north of the Sierras and hiking south, but very soon got into more snow than a Yuma girl wants to see. I can't remember what moniker she used to use on here, but she doesn't post any more.

I also sort of know some folks hiking the Camino in Spain right now. They are going on my October GC river trip. That is, I haven't met them yet, but they are solid on my trip. So, I'll ask them all about it when I meet them.

flagscott
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by flagscott » Jul 18 2016 7:31 pm

azbackpackr wrote:@flagscott
Thanks much, I will look for it. I really liked Keith Foskett's books. He wrote about Camino de Santiago in Spain, and also the AT and PCT. He's called "Fozzie" on the trail and he is oh so veddy English. Pretty good for an amateur writer. Incidentally, I didn't think the movie "A Walk in the Woods" had near the humor the book had, although it was entertaining.

Also, a HAZ member from Yuma, good friend of mine, is hiking the PCT right now. Had to skip the Sierras due to snow. She will return in Sept to finish that section. She tried going up north of the Sierras and hiking south, but very soon got into more snow than a Yuma girl wants to see. I can't remember what moniker she used to use on here, but she doesn't post any more.

I also sort of know some folks hiking the Camino in Spain right now. They are going on my October GC river trip. That is, I haven't met them yet, but they are solid on my trip. So, I'll ask them all about it when I meet them.
I haven't read Keith's books, but I follow him on youtube, and I've enjoyed his trail videos (even though they are mostly just him talking into the camera while hiking). I'll keep an eye out for the books.

PCT hikers have been spoiled the last few years with low snow, so a lot of them started way too early this year. We had an average or slightly above average snow-year when I thru-hiked in '09, and the Sierras were tough (though beautiful).

My wife and I are planning to do the Camino when we're closer to retirement and looking for something kind of cushy. I hear it's a great walk, though.

wha
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » Jul 18 2016 8:58 pm

flagscott wrote:Carrot's book was excellent, too. I believe she's working on a CDT book now.
I thought she was working on her train riding book. She didn't enjoy the CDT that much, and that might make for a boring book. I liked her PCT book. And Foskett's PCT book, haven't read any others.

I also liked Wild, book and movie.

flagscott
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by flagscott » Jul 18 2016 9:16 pm

wha wrote:I also liked Wild, book and movie.
Like almost every thru-hiker I know, I did not like Wild. My reason was specific, though: I don't think that people solve their problems on thru-hikes. You're just too busy hiking and/or too tired from hiking to be thinking about big picture stuff. So, basically, I think that the narrative that she put in the book, that she turned her disaster of a life around on a 3-month walk, was mostly BS and was invented to sell books.

That said, I do think that long-distance hiking can have positive effects on people's lives after the hike is over. But gradually turning things around after your hike is over doesn't make for a compelling book or movie.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 19 2016 6:27 am

flagscott wrote:gradually turning things around
Heaven forbid we should learn patience, right? :roll:

I just didn't understand that woman, Cheryl Strayed's, big problem with her life, with her mother dying, etc. (The book was much more detailed about all that stuff than the movie was.) I just didn't understand how having your mother die when you are an adult would turn you into a heroin addict, etc. etc. Sounds like an excuse to me. I experienced almost no empathetic feelings for her self-created predicament. In the movie, the very best scene was in the motel room when she could not pick up the backpack. The physical comedy was great. (Can't find it on YouTube.)

In a way, truthfully, doing a lot of backpacking can be more of an escape from reality than helping your reality once you get back to town and have to go on living, holding a job, paying your bills, dealing with people, etc. That's what I've found doing 25-day river trips. The second one I did, it took me 6 months to recover financially. Coming up this fall, I have two back-to-back river trips: a 25-day GC raft trip immediately followed by a 14-day lower Colorado River kayak trip. However, I recently started collecting a small retirement, which is very helpful, and my monthly overhead (rent & utilities) isn't a lot these days, either.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Aug 28 2016 2:05 pm

I seen it once that was enough and I seen Dark Mountain once and that was enough also.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Return to “Poems & Literature”