Signed Harvey Butcharts - Grand Canyon Treks

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Wynne
City, State: Bishop

Signed Harvey Butcharts - Grand Canyon Treks

Post by Wynne » Apr 06 2015 6:34 am

Am new to this forum. Based in Bishop, California, I completed the desert peaks list in 1995 (20 years ago) using map & compass, with no GPS. I still hike with no GPS. That list completion included a climb of my now favorite peak, Weaver's Needle. I also publish Harvey Butchart's book, Grand Canyon Treks, a compilation of the original La Siesta Press trilogy. We spent a lot of time scouting many of the routes, researching the archives at Grand Canyon National Park and working with the backcountry ranger's office. It was a moment in time.

By the time I met Harvey, he was pushing 90, still spry and sharp. In 1997, author and NAU Geology alum, Andy Zdon (Desert Summits: A Climbing & Hiking Guide to California & Southern Nevada, and Geology of the Las Vegas Region) and I, sat with Harvey in his kitchen as he reminisced about some of his most exciting and rather challenging hikes and river crossings, while signing several copies of Grand Canyon Treks.
For anyone interested, we still sell Grand Canyon Treks (2nd Spotted Dog Press printing) and are offering for sale, a handful of Harvey's signed copies of the first Spotted Dog Press edition of Grand Canyon Treks.

Return to “Poems & Literature”