Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
FreespiritAZ
Poetkopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Investing in Gear

Post by FreespiritAZ » Mar 19 2010 4:08 am

So I have been an avid day hiker for the last 5 years, but am now looking to invest in gear so I can hike AND camp. I am wanting to get quality gear without it costing me an arm and a leg.

Does anyone know of any quality places other than REI or Cabella's? Both places seem so pricey to me. Are there any good websites you could refer me to? Are there any brands that you prefer? If so, why do you prefer them?

Until now I have also always just used tennis shoes for my hikes even though I could have probably used a pair of boots. Any tips or suggestions for footwear would also be appreciated :D

gringoantonio
G pelli
City, State: Boise, ID

Re: Investing in Gear

Post by gringoantonio » Mar 22 2010 5:27 pm

I have to agree wholeheartedly with azbackpackr about REI & AHS. If you want to know everything there is to know about the gear you want to purchase, go to the Hiking Shack. Their knowledge is unmatched. They're definitely the best place to get properly fitted for a backpack or boots. REI, on the other hand is a crapshoot--a lot of the staff has no clue what they're talking about, though a few do. If you want to avoid the gamble and leave the store confident in your purchase, go to the Shack and look for the older guy with gray hair and glasses (can't remember his name...). You won't find a more knowledgeable advice at any other store in the valley. This is not to say REI does not have benefits--they frequently issue 20% coupons, have good sales and I'm never saddened by the 10% dividend I receive every year. You also can't beat REI's lifetime guarantee on every thing they sell. Same goes for Backcountry.com's guarantee. A free lifetime guarantee can just about negate any concerns about cost. All 3 retailers have unmatched customer service. Good luck.

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Mar 22 2010 6:11 pm

It could also be the beginning of the mirror ball that was mentioned in a previous thread...

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Mar 23 2010 8:22 am

FreespiritAZ wrote:
Jeff MacE wrote:Additionally, when fashioned into a hat it will prevent mind control and other unwanted intrusions into your personal liberty...
Hmm interesting or maybe it is nice cheap entertainment for your fellow HAZ hiking buddies, hehe :D
Unfortunately, I doubt it would shock most of the HAZ'ers I hike with if I showed up wearing a tinfoil hat, or worse... :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Mar 23 2010 8:24 am

gringoantonio wrote:I have to agree wholeheartedly with azbackpackr about REI & AHS. If you want to know everything there is to know about the gear you want to purchase, go to the Hiking Shack. Their knowledge is unmatched. They're definitely the best place to get properly fitted for a backpack or boots. REI, on the other hand is a crapshoot--a lot of the staff has no clue what they're talking about, though a few do. If you want to avoid the gamble and leave the store confident in your purchase, go to the Shack and look for the older guy with gray hair and glasses (can't remember his name...). You won't find a more knowledgeable advice at any other store in the valley. This is not to say REI does not have benefits--they frequently issue 20% coupons, have good sales and I'm never saddened by the 10% dividend I receive every year. You also can't beat REI's lifetime guarantee on every thing they sell. Same goes for Backcountry.com's guarantee. A free lifetime guarantee can just about negate any concerns about cost. All 3 retailers have unmatched customer service. Good luck.
You hit the nail on the head. At REI you need to find someone who actually knows the gear. When you're new it's hard to smoke-out a person feeding you a line of baloney, so that makes it tougher. The biggest draw for me is the fact that REI has SOOO much stuff sitting around. You check out stuff, try it on, and then go home and order it from a cheaper retailer... ;)
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Mar 23 2010 9:05 am

Jeff MacE wrote:Unfortunately, I doubt it would shock most of the HAZ'ers I hike with if I showed up wearing a tinfoil hat, or worse...
so, show up wearing only the hat and a shoulder holster, with an unleashed dog quoting Napoleon Dynamite. That'll learn 'em.
:D

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Mar 23 2010 9:14 am

:sl:
..I hate that movie... :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Mar 23 2010 10:30 am

te-wa wrote:with an unleashed dog quoting Napoleon Dynamite. That'll learn 'em.
Your dog quotes Napoleon Dynamite??? I gotta get me a smarter dog. :sl:
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Not if we can help it.

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Apr 22 2010 1:45 pm

I am far from a pro, but by jumping on HAZ and asking was the right thing to do. I have found alot of good stuff on CraigsList also. Thermarest 3/4 pad for $15 and a Magellan Triton 400 for $40.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Apr 22 2010 2:39 pm

http://www.sierratradingpost.com

i just scored a pair of $100 Vasque trail runners for $34, and they fit perfectly.
I just scored a women's GoLite Jam2 backpack, for $64 shipped. She's gonna love it.

berkforbes
Goatapelli
City, State: phoenix

Post by berkforbes » Apr 22 2010 2:42 pm

Squirrelbait wrote:She's gonna love it.
Ahhhh Pookie Bear!! :budrose:
"Rather love, than money, than fame, give me truth."
-Henry David Thoreau

FreespiritAZ
Poetkopelli

Post by FreespiritAZ » Apr 22 2010 8:49 pm

Has anyone seen any good deals on Women's backpacks? I am getting my tax refund on May 4th and have already started looking..... :y:

berkforbes
Goatapelli

Post by berkforbes » Apr 22 2010 9:59 pm

I have been seeing ads all over for a clearance osprey 70 aether and im pretty sure its a womens small. thats the same pack i use but in mens of course.. very well built and super comfortable.
-Henry David Thoreau

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Apr 22 2010 10:10 pm

berkforbes wrote:sprey 70 aether and im pretty sure its a womens small
My main pack is an Aether 70. The women's version is called the Ariel.

FreespiritAZ
Poetkopelli

Post by FreespiritAZ » Apr 23 2010 1:20 am

I am definitely not a small in womens, lol. I recently borrowed a men's small pack for a backpack trip down to Fossil Springs and it worked very well. I would probably be a medium in women's. Thanks for the tips will keep the Osprey brand in mind :D

berkforbes
Goatapelli

Post by berkforbes » Apr 23 2010 7:04 am

You are correct big load... I just picked up the same pack for my Royal Arch trip, awesome gear for sure! Here is a link for an 09 closeout on the Osprey Aether 70 its small size only, but its a mens pack so it may work for you. http://www.rei.com/product/803566?prefe ... erralID=NA
-Henry David Thoreau

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 23 2010 8:54 am

Golite Quest is about a pound lighter but more cubic inches. Cheaper, too.

I bought the Quest on sale, haven't used it yet. I wanted to go more toward ultralight. However, it has been pointed out, there is some question if it would take abrasion as well as a heavier pack.

I'll review it after the Blue Range backpack in June.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Apr 23 2010 9:20 am

dont bother with either of those packs. take a look at this one: http://www.granitegear.com/products/bac ... porki.html
i have a few female friends like Liz and Bonnie that use it. if they love it as veterans, you may wanna take thier advice not from the "i love this pack but ive never used it, or used it once" crowd.
the men's version, the vapor trail, also has a following. Kurt can attest to its durability and functionality.
REI also sells the Vapor Ki, but get fitted there and then buy it on sale elsewhere. mike

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Apr 23 2010 9:21 am

azbackpackr wrote:Golite Quest is about a pound lighter but more cubic inches. Cheaper, too.
Yeah, but it can't lug as much water. My main criterion was being able to hold 3 gallons of water, a week of food, and gear for temps down to 15F.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 23 2010 10:00 am

Good points, all. Several women told me they liked the Golite quite a bit. I have used external frame for years, and have yet to put a lot of weight in an internal that didn't then make the belt uneven--higher in front, sagging down my butt in back, while at the same time feeling like a total strait jacket, unlike my old external frame.

However, external frame packs have the distinct disadvantage of being too top heavy and too wide, and very bad for off-trail scrambling.

I do really like the fact that they are not fashionable, though. I like stuff that isn't fashionable. ;)

I had a really nice Mountainsmith internal frame pack, kind of a weekend size. I put 30 pounds in it quite a few times to train. I just absolutely hated it with a passion. I gave it to my daughter and kept using the external frame pack.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

BlueFrog
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa,Az

Post by BlueFrog » Apr 23 2010 10:43 am

in the Bass pro shop online store clearance section,i just saw a few differant womens packs.

Return to “Bike, Camp, Climb, Kayak & etc”