Kayak: Resources, classes, teachers, gear, tours, etc.

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Kayak: Resources, classes, teachers, gear, tours, etc.

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 11 2010 5:00 am

Well, now that I have a small amount of experience with this topic, I thought I'd start a new page about it. This will be for people who want to get into kayaking but don't know where to start. It took me years to find out all this stuff! In Arizona there are far fewer resources than California or other states!! It would be nice if this could remain a resource page, and people can add information or ask questions about kayaking lessons, gear, etc.

KAYAKING SCHOOL at Lake Mead offers beginner through advanced classes, and also trips. YES, they do teach the Eskimo roll and other more advanced techniques. Cheaper than doing lessons with an individual teacher, at least as far as I can find out: http://www.kayaklakemead.com

Buyer beware if you really want to learn this sport there are a lot of "recreational" teachers out there who do not teach any advanced skills. But you have to start somewhere. I actually had one teacher I called ask me "Why do you want to learn the Eskimo Roll? Why would you want to do whitewater?" Ok... each to his or her own, right?

That being said, FLAT water kayaking is a LOT more fun than I thought it would be. It is peaceful and quiet, if you can find an area with no speedboats! Yuma is very good for that.

YUMA KAYAK TOURS and lessons: Here is a woman named Sharon in Yuma (but only in winter) who sells Eddyline Kayaks, and does lessons and trips. The lessons are ONLY flatwater recreation info--NO Eskimo Roll is taught. I bought a paddle from her. A friend of mine recently went on a day trip with her, learned a lot about kayaking and saw some gorgeous scenery (Squaw Lake to channels to Colorado River, and down the river back to the lake--$45) Her web address is (dead link removed) 928-503-0537.

Also in Yuma, Arizona Western College may still offer a weekend beginner kayak and canoe class once a year. I took it Nov 2008, and it was very fun. Piece of cake, I didn't learn that much, but it was fun. I had canoed before, wanted to try kayaking.

Also in Yuma, at Martinez Lake, YUMA RIVER TOURS still offers a shuttle for canoers and kayakers who want to go upriver and float down. On their website they say they offer canoe trips in conjunction with Jerkwater Canoe Company, but last time I checked it seemed that Jerkwater company may be out of business. I think if you bring your own boat, they put it on their jetboat, so you get to ride upriver on that, which is very fun. Then they drop you off at their private campground called Norton's Landing. Then you float back down to Martinez Lake. NOTE: they will not do this for solo paddlers! They have a policy against that--you must have a small group of people going. (dead link removed) Also if you want to take your grandma to do something fun, try their jetboat ride. They stop twice along the way so you can walk around, and they also feed you lunch. It is very fun, as I said. We did it in 2005. And it is GORGEOUS as it goes through the Imperial National Wildlife Refuge.

SAN DIEGO fun: In San Diego a woman named Marie who is awesome does some touring lessons and takes people into San Diego Bay to see the turtles! She has other trips as well. http://www.familykayak.com The first time we tried a tandem boat it was because we had met her at Squaw Lake, and she let us use her boat. Two weeks later we found one just like it on Craig's List and bought it.

CANYONS AND COASTLINES: An Arizona paddlers resource page. Although no longer teaching except by appointment and you have to have your own pool, Nancy Kanu Wright does still maintain her paddlesports resource page. Be forewarned that some of the links on her page may no longer work: (dead link removed)

SAPC--Southern Arizona Paddlers Club http://www.soazpaddlers.org/ Tucson-based--is a happening club. This club does both flatwater and whitewater trips. A lot of their trips are suitable for beginners. I have a friend that belongs to it so I hear about their trips from time to time, haven't joined yet. In the past two months they have done the upper Salt and also the SF-Gila Box near Safford.

PRIVATE INSTRUCTORS in the Valley come and go, but are sometimes found on Canyons and Coastlines. You might also ask around, like at Arizona Hiking Shack. Last time I contacted one of them, he had his own pool but (unlike Lake Mead school) you had to bring your own boat and all your own gear and it was $50 an hour in his pool until you learned enough techniques and then he would take you to the lower Salt tubing area. Even if you have a whitewater boat, like I do, you also need floatation bags, the right kind of paddle, not just any paddle, your own PFD, neoprene skirt (not the nylon one I have) probably a wetsuit and booties. This route is a lot more expensive than going to the school.

I was offered a 2-day 10 hour course for $200, all gear is included, at Lake Mead. This works out to $20 an hour and I don't have to buy all that stuff up front.

INFLATABLE KAYAKS, also called RUBBER DUCKIES are a good way to start experiencing whitewater but I'd recommend you do a whitewater rafting trip first to see if you like it. A lot of people are scared by it. http://www.raftthesalt.com does these trips late in the river season, Salt River Canyon (near Globe). They wait until the water goes down to do the ducky trips.

CRAIGSLIST San Diego always has an astonishing number of yaks for sale every single day. You really have to know what you are looking for. There are sea kayaks, touring kayaks, recreational kayaks, sit-on-tops, surfing kayaks, inflatable kayaks, whitewater kayaks, play boats...etc. etc. etc. We bought our tandem Wilderness Systems recreational boat off San Diego Craigslist.

There are kayaking tours available at Hoover Dam, also, that go down Black Canyon below the dam. If you google Hoover Dam kayaking you will find a gazillion outfitters.

The San Juan River just north of Arizona, between Bluff and Mexican Hat, Utah, has options. You will have to do your own searches on that one.

Do it yourself: Safford: The Gila River Box, and San Francisco Rivers are running right now between Clifton and Safford. Yuma: The lower Gila River dumps into the Lower Colorado River in Yuma, you can float down the Gila to the Colorado. There are of course hundreds of lakes in Arizona where you can kayak. I like Mittry Lake near Yuma, and Old River near Betty's Kitchen, which is a trapped portion of river between Imperial Dam and Laguna Dam. Winkelman: The Gila River between Dripping Springs and Winkelman is run when water level allows, usually with rubber duckies. People say to watch for sweepers in that section.

ARIZONA'S LONGEST RIVER TRIP other than Grand Canyon: Ehrenberg, AZ Put a week's worth of food and gear in your canoe or kayak and float down to Martinez lake in Yuma, over 100 miles!!! You can actually put in upriver from Ehrenberg near Palo Verde Dam. Be careful not to camp on the Indian Reservation!!!! The river is big, but there is no real whitewater. There are several actual BOAT-IN-CAMPGROUNDS!!! Here's an incredible Boy Scout website about how to do that trip: (dead link removed) It has maps, campground info, how to plan your days, etc. I am so happy to have found it! It even has music!

Colorado River in Grand Canyon is a whole 'nother topic. I am not going to attempt it.

Please feel free to add to my info.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Re: Kayak: Resources, classes, teachers, gear, tours, etc.

Post by trekkin_gecko » Apr 11 2010 8:02 am

i have a perception swifty, a 9.5 foot beginner/recreational kayak
i've been on:
tempe town lake, which isn't as lame as you might think ($5 daily permit required)
willow springs lake, good for an hour of two, very peaceful
blue ridge reservoir, which is my favorite place so far - you can camp and hike nearby, too
bartlett lake, saguaro lake (very trashy) and apache lake, all of which are fine for a weekday morning, but seem like they would be too busy on the weekends
i just like to get out and paddle for a couple hours and enjoy the quiet, being out on the water, and the scenery
i'd like to go down a river, but i don't think i have the right kayak or equipment, unless the river was pretty tame
thanks for the ideas and resources, elizabeth

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Apr 11 2010 9:18 am

Good to know. I have found it difficult to find resources for whitewater kayaking in AZ. in particular. Trying to get my wife some instruction and get her hooked. :)
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

gringoantonio
G pelli
City, State: Boise, ID

Post by gringoantonio » Apr 11 2010 10:19 am

One of the , if not the, most important parts of boating on a river is swiftwater safety.

Arizona Hiking Shack holds affordable classes every year. You won't get certified (those classes are far more expensive) but you will learn skills that could save your, or a friend's, life.

http://www.hikingshack.com/

If you're looking to get certified, Russ Dodge is one of the best instructors in the state:

(dead link removed)

I believe he holds more classes than the ones listed on the Rescue3 website.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 11 2010 6:23 pm

Awesome, thanks for the rescue info. I just walked in the door a few minutes ago after driving home from a Salt River rafting trip. It was really fun. Anyway, there were law enforcement and fire personnel in the river, training for that. They had a "victim" who had fallen out of his duckie. I saw the guy fall out and thought it was for real. Later as we rafted by them--they were just downstream of the 60 bridge in a small rapid, they had a guy on a backboard in the water, and were practicing getting him out.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

ssk44
Explorerkopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ssk44 » Apr 12 2010 10:24 am

HAZ Combined hiking & kayaking destinations...

(Goat Mountain - Tonto NA)
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=1954

(Canyon Lake - Point Campground Overlook)
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=2343

(El Recortado - Route #1)
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=3175

(El Recortado - Route #2)
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=3182

(Blue Tank Canyon)
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=3162

(Skeleton Cave)
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=2387
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 12 2010 10:55 am

Right on! Thanks for posting the list!

I should go back to Yuma next winter and do the same thing over there, in the Imperial National Wildlife Refuge. Not sure I can talk hubby into it though. He wants to go to Texas... :o

toddak
Solo Adventurepelli
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Apr 13 2010 6:52 pm

Tyler Williams has an excellent guide book called "Paddling Arizona", with separate sections for lakes, easy rivers and full whitewater rivers, plus put-in/take-out locations, shuttle logistics, ideal flows, etc. Check out http://www.usgs.gov for realtime river gage and flow conditions (click on AZ in the US map).

I picked up 2 used 10.5-foot creekboats on craigslist here in phoenix with paddles and skirts for $500. So far the Lower Salt, Beaver Creek above Camp Verde and the Verde River from Camp Verde to Beasley Flat have provided really fun, exciting Class 1/2 beginner runs.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 14 2010 8:21 pm

That sounds fun. Thanks for posting the river data site, I neglected to think of that. Surprising as it may seem, I saw the paddling guide for sale at the local C of C just the other day, will have to pick it up next time I go back there (if I am not broke!)

I will also post this info on the state parks thread: Lyman Lake is set to re-open, to be run by Apache County, with donations from Springerville, Eagar, St. Johns, etc. It will be open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. They are going to use our local prisoners to do a lot of the labor around the park. (Prisoners in orange jumpsuits are often seen around our towns doing weedeating, helping with roadwork, etc. Oddly enough, we are used to having them in our front yards, running weedeaters!)

no avatar
TRLiver
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: los angeles, CA

Post by TRLiver » Feb 27 2011 11:49 am

Yes, if you visit San Diego, give Marie at Family Kayak a call. We had a blast with her last summer on the turtle excursion--so enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Also recommend (dead link removed) for Lake Mead excursions. It's the perfect family trip..you can rent sit-on-top kayaks and there are lots of beaches and places to picnic.
Last edited by TRLiver on Mar 06 2011 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 27 2011 11:55 am

Yes, I've met her, too. She seemed very nice.

Still looking for that summer Grand Canyon trip for 2011, between June 10 and July 4, or between July 13 and Aug 10 (or so.) I have a 2012 permit. So, I have a spot to trade on my Sept. 2012 trip. You let me on your 2011 trip, I'll let you on my 2012 trip.

For summer 2011, I can bring an experienced boatman and raft with me, if another raft is needed.

Jenna Palomino
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Chandler, Arizona

Post by Jenna Palomino » Mar 09 2011 4:04 pm

@azbackpackr
:y: I've been wanting to Kayak for so long now, thanks for sharing the Info!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 09 2011 6:51 pm

I just finished the kayak class last night at the NAU pool, via NAU Outdoors (dead link removed) and am going on a Verde River day trip on Sat with the class and instructor. However, I was just about the worst student when it came to learning the roll. I did learn the other skills: hip snap, wet exit, t-rescue, etc. I noticed that maybe about 1/3 of the students didn't get the roll. I will need a LOT more one-on-one instruction to learn that, I think. It just didn't make sense to me once I was upside down in the water. I was a bit panicky, too.

As long as you can escape the boat via the wet exit, then you can do some of the easier trips.

Incidentally, if you don't know anything about kayaking, this skill is necessary only for white water boats, (and some touring and sea kayaks) not recreational, or sit-on-tops, or duckies. It is necessary for the type of boat where you are basically attached to the boat via the skirt, thigh braces, etc.

Loads of roll vids on youtube: [ youtube video ]

Also on my calendar: A rafting trip on the Verde, a flat water kayaking float in May from Glen Canyon Dam to Lee's Ferry, a sea kayaking trip in July at Santa Cruz Island (off the coast of Ventura CA). And am still hopeful to get myself on a GC river trip this coming summer!

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird

Post by MtnBart01 » Mar 09 2011 8:41 pm

@azbackpackr
Do they have weekend classes etc. ie. pool class and then river trip? I'm in Phoenix and want to get my wife into paddling. That was the set up I did in Or. a couple of pool classes and then two days paddling class II and III whitewater. Of course, I had a lot of all year round options there and knew more people that paddled. I have gotten zero whitewater time since moving to Az. for lack of connections and now extended periods of work during the Az. season.
Incidently, the class I took they were big on t-rescues etc. and didn't really even show people roll technique in the first couple pool classes.
I picked up the roll the first time and they had me do it about 15 times in a row in disbelief. My understanding is that very few people pick it up on the first try and it usually takes several outings before you have a bomber proof dependable roll that will aid you in whitewater. I just studied the technique and visualized it while laying on my back in the living room (upside down kayak position) before I went out on the outing. Sounds odd, but once you understand where the paddle goes and that it is really your hips and proper head follow through that is doing the work you'll get it. The main thing is the paddle not hindering the other part of the technique.
Or you'll realize that it sucks to drag 55+ gallons of water in a plastic boat to the side of the river or pool to drain. :sl: If your weak on the staying upright skills and you can identify with the previous sentence you'll be rolling on your off side as well as your good side in no time. As far as the panic some people like a nose plug if you have a propensity to get water up your nose while your upside down.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 09 2011 9:39 pm

Hi,
NAU won't be offering the class again until fall (or maybe summer). It is five 3-hour sessions. It was on Sunday evenings. The Verde River trip is separate.

If you go to that Canyons and Coastlines website I posted, there are usually some ACA teachers listed. But they charge about $50 an hour. Lake Mead kayak school also does classes. They are also more expensive than NAU.

I took the 5 sessions, worked hard at hip snap, etc. I am an old surfer and love swimming. I have no problem with water up my nose, since I automatically blow air out my nose. However, I get very disoriented being upside down, and I tend to panic. I cannot relate the rightside up with the upside down. The instructor was good, but he thought I would get "muscle memory" a lot quicker than I do. I think I would need several more one-on-one sessions to even understand what I am supposed to do. It scared the crap out of me, to tell you the truth. I panicked even though he was right there holding me. He had me do the paddle routine while rightside up over and over again but once I was upside down I had absolutely no memory of that motion I was supposed to do with the paddle. It made no sense to me once I was upside down. Another problem I had was that I did not have the boat tight enough so that my hipsnap did not work. I told him that the first time we tried it. My knee kept slipping out of place. Finally we undid my skirt and he was distressed to see how loose all the strings were. (I know, that does sound sort of funny!) So he told me to tighten it all up and take a break. But then there were too many others in line, so I didn't get a second one-on-one session with him.

I know, for example, that when I get a new school bus with all the functions in different places, I have a hard time with the steps I have to follow to correctly drop off children. It has to go in sequence: Activate amber lights, stop bus, set parking brake, sweep eyes over mirrors and street for danger, then press door button to let the kids out. In an unfamiliar bus, I do not get this sequence quickly because the buttons are all in different places. It has to go into muscle memory and for me that takes more than a week of working on that bus. With a bus, I can look at it and think it through. But in a kayak, the teacher said I can't think it through. I have to just "have the muscle memory." But I don't have it yet, so I can't do it. Muscle memory takes me more than one session of one-on-one. And I am not about to try it without someone next to me. Also, I need that kayak to be very tight! That was part of the problem.

I know that my son learned to roll in one session. I am not sure I can learn it but if I can, it will have to be with someone there.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 12 2011 7:35 pm

Just got back from running the Verde in the white water kayak, from White Bridge to Beasley Flat. This was the first time I have tried to run white water in a kayak. I am amazed I never flipped. It was actually another NAU class, so there was an instructor along. One guy flipped about 4 or 5 times. The boats they use are Jackson Heroes:
http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/white ... ro-series/ The Jackson family actually donated the boats to NAU Outdoors. All the gear they have is new. Very nice. And a good instructor, Chad Stone, ACA certified.

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird

Post by MtnBart01 » Mar 12 2011 7:49 pm

@azbackpackr
Nice! Jackson makes great kayaks. Or maybe I'm partial I have a Jackson 4 fun. :D

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 13 2011 7:03 am

@bart01
Yes, a very nice boat, although I tend to feel about it the way I feel about my $2500 mountain bike: A better boat than I am a boatman (a better bike than I am a rider.)

However, I also think, with persistence, I can get better at the boating as I have gotten a little better at the mountain biking over the years. I have an old kayak, a Perception Dancer, I can continue to practice with. There are kayak sessions at both NAU pool and Flagstaff High pool, where you can bring your own boat and practice. I am not sure I want to take that old boat down the river, though. But it will be fine for pool practice.

The Jackson Hero boats cost around $1200 (without the skirt or paddle, etc.) which I think is very reasonable, given the cost of other kayaks. But if you haven't kayaked before, don't buy one, unless you are going to take classes. NAU is going to offer a roll class later on, I think, for people like me who took the beginning class. I wish I had signed up for the NAU Outdoors 3-day San Juan trip but now it is full. I didn't sign up for it because I have a big family get together that weekend.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 03 2018 7:54 am

I had forgotten about this thread--it's ancient.

I now have a lot of kayaking miles, including almost all of the lower Colorado River from upper Lake Mead to Yuma, under my deck, plus a lot of San Diego area and Conception Bay in Baja. I have gone through several boats. I'm into the flat water style, and am interested in really improving my skills. I have a Necky Eliza 15.5 touring/sea kayak. I'm at a plateau level in skills, and would like to get into Greenland-style sea kayaking. I don't have a roll, although I have tried it (but not recently). Likely I will head for Aqua Adventures in San Diego at some point, but I would prefer to find an instructor in Arizona or in southern Nevada who has access to a warm swimming pool, and can teach me some roll techniques, and better bracing, etc. I want few distractions, and I find that cold water is a very big distraction. I also want a gentle, calm, centered, and easy-going type of person to instruct me. No Type A in-a-hurry people, thank you!!

If anyone knows of an instructor with these attributes, please let me know.

I have had a lesson at Kayak Lake Mead, and I won't go back. The instructor offered no private lesson, even though I requested one. Although lower Lake Mohave was very warm that day in August, he chose to launch us at cold-water Willow Beach. Then he spent most of the time instructing the other student in the class. Waste of my time and $$, although I learned to insist on a private lesson, and I learned to ignore the guys who say you don't need nose clips or goggles when you are learning. Later that day I bought the nose clips and goggles, went to the warm part of the lake, and practiced hanging upside down, with the goal of simply relaxing and getting rid of the panic. I also realized that all of my past instructors have been males with Type A personalities. Ugh! Always in a hurry, those types, and if you are panicky, that is the last thing you need.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jan 03 2018 10:56 am

There was a Guy that did Instruction at last Year's Paddlefest and I really liked him... But I can't for the Life of me remember his Name... I'll see if I can find it somewhere....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Return to “Bike, Camp, Climb, Kayak & etc”