Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Geocache

Postby kevinweitzel75 » Apr 22 2010 1:11 pm

A couple of my friends are in to geocaching. Was just wondering how many HAZ members do this? I have never done it, but it does sound interesting. Or is it a waste of time?
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Geocache

Postby joebartels » Apr 22 2010 1:21 pm

So many beautiful places to see in Arizona, no need to stash and hunt trash.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Postby SuperstitionGuy » Apr 22 2010 2:32 pm

Well said Joe. Lets detrash Arizona not add to it.
However HAZ users do hunt for beautiful pictures and then share them. :y:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Postby azbackpackr » Apr 22 2010 4:31 pm

I have a friend up here who is into it. I found my first geocache several weeks ago, over at G&F Grasslands area. I was over at my friend's house right before that--he loaded topo maps onto my GPS. I gently tried to explain the prevailing idea, mentioned that it is a "bit controversial." He didn't get it so I didn't press, although I did explain that nearer the big cities, the geocaches can get kind of trashy. He did understand that, but he didn't get why it would be a problem around here. Most of his are right by the town, anyway. He has a kid, they go out and do that together.

I plan to find some more of them, just to use that function on my GPS, just another function I can learn, since I am so techno-challenged. Not sure if I want to actually hide any, though.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli

Postby kevinweitzel75 » Apr 22 2010 5:56 pm

I think Joe said it too. Why waste time looking for someones trash when you can be hiking up in the Supes or something. Good call.
Robert Frost

FreespiritAZ
Poetkopelli

Postby FreespiritAZ » Apr 23 2010 1:17 am

Not all geocaches are trash ya know. Oosh on HAZ is a big geocacher. If you wanna know more ask him.

johnlp
Roastapelli
City, State: chandler,az

Postby johnlp » Apr 23 2010 4:46 am

A lot of geocaches are just small registers. Look for a few in the city, they are everywhere. See if you like it. I made a few trips looking for them with my kids. It's kinda fun. I have no interest in it anymore.
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

tahosa
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Fort Collins, CO

Postby tahosa » Apr 25 2010 3:39 pm

I just love the backcountry aspects of caching if done properly, I have one in San Tan Park that due to its complexity very few cachers look for it. Heck its only a small 10 mile hike. Some of those that I have in CO are up around 10,000 ft. and are a hard hike with some map and compass stuff to find it. Its not a stash for trash for me, for I have two caches that are memorials to a friend that was killed on the Matterhorn two years ago. And many of my caches are done in honor of the veterans of our country. And some are done in honor of my parents, my kids and my grandkids. And I have the distinct privilege of being the only living geocache and I do not think I am trash.
I will agree that a lot of the urban caches are useless and serve no purpose for me, but there are those that are handicapped and are not able to do what some hikers can do, so if that is there thing then let them have at it.

So if any of you out there want to take a walk in the San Tans and see the other side of caching just let me know and I'll gladly take you along.
AZ is nice but I still have a love for the ~back country~ of Colorado. Where I voulunteered for the USFS for 9 seasons doing backcountry patrols.

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli

Postby kevinweitzel75 » Apr 25 2010 7:00 pm

If I have offended any fellow HAZ members, I apologize. I probably shouldn't have used the word "trash". The appropriate term is "cache". I was under the impression that people left tin cans and such.

Tahosa, I would like to take a walk with you and check out the other side of caching. Send me a pm if you are interested.
Robert Frost

joebartels
teva joe

Postby joebartels » Apr 25 2010 8:09 pm

I'm the one that said trash and meant it most specifically to wilderness. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

tahosa
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Fort Collins, CO

Postby tahosa » Apr 25 2010 8:22 pm

joe bartels wrote:I'm the one that said trash and meant it most specifically to wilderness. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

No offense taken Joe. And I'm one that is against them in designated wilderness areas. I have pulled several of them that did not belong to me over the years. And there are a few down here in AZ that for some reasons are still in
a designated wilderness area and would love to take them to the dumpster. But I haven't had the time or the skill to get to one of them.
AZ is nice but I still have a love for the ~back country~ of Colorado. Where I voulunteered for the USFS for 9 seasons doing backcountry patrols.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Postby azbackpackr » Apr 26 2010 9:11 am

Tahosa mentioned veterans. The fellow I mentioned who is doing it up here is a veteran. He doesn't go to wilderness areas, and his are in town or on state land, mostly. They are all very short hikes--he, his wife and kid like to get out in the boonies but they don't do lengthy hikes. I am going to find them all just to be his pal and also to continue practicing that function on my GPS. (Slow learner.)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

FreespiritAZ
Poetkopelli

Postby FreespiritAZ » Apr 26 2010 7:50 pm

Tahosa, :thanx: for sharing your experience! I think more veterans need to be honored for their service to our country. You have inspired me to create a few caches of my own . My grandfather retired from the Navy after 20 years of service and was a WWII vet. I also have many other family members who have served and I think that would be a great way to honor them. My mom was an ET in the Navy for 6 years and was active during the Gulf War, though at that time women were not allowed on the air craft carriers or ships. I myself have thought about joining the Navy Medical Corps after I graduate.

As for your geocaches, I would love to take a trip in the San Tans to go hunting :)

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Postby azbackpackr » Nov 16 2013 7:06 am

A recent example of geotrash:
Seen November 15, 2013, in the White Mountain Independent:

"Snowflake-Taylor Police also received a call on what was initially believed to be a bomb. On Nov. 8 at about 2 p.m., police dispatch received a call from a citizen about what appeared to be a pipe bomb inside a drainage pipe on the corner of Frontier Parkway and state Route 277. Upon arrival, officers discovered it was nothing more than a geocaching clue."

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Postby SpiderLegs » Nov 17 2013 7:06 am

Don't do it so much now, but when my kids were younger I geocached with them quite a bit. I could not convince them to go outside for hiking or long walks with the dog, but throw a GPS unit in their hand and all of the sudden they were interested. If they had a GPS unit in their hand all of the sudden they did not complain about cold weather (lived in Idaho at the time) or hiking up and down trails for hours at a time.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Postby azbackpackr » Nov 17 2013 8:05 am

SpiderLegs wrote:Don't do it so much now, but when my kids were younger I geocached with them quite a bit. I could not convince them to go outside for hiking or long walks with the dog, but throw a GPS unit in their hand and all of the sudden they were interested. If they had a GPS unit in their hand all of the sudden they did not complain about cold weather (lived in Idaho at the time) or hiking up and down trails for hours at a time.

I've always thought that the two best reasons to geocache are to get kids outside, hiking and interested, and also to help us non-techy types to learn something about our GPS units. However, there is a bit of truth to the "geotrashing" barb.

SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer

Postby SpiderLegs » Nov 17 2013 8:41 am

azbackpackr wrote: However, there is a bit of truth to the "geotrashing" barb.

It's a good way to recycle Altoids tins.

Return to “Bike, Camp, Climb, Kayak & etc”