Post by RedRoxx44 » Dec 05 2013 7:09 pm

If you don't like really narrow slots--don't look at this video

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Re: All the tight places

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 05 2013 7:43 pm

I don't like videos, but probably like narrow slots. :D

Very cool. I'm afraid I'm past my prime, can't do that stuff any longer. My joints (especially wrists) don't bend very well, and most of them ache.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Barrett
Solopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Barrett » Dec 05 2013 8:45 pm

Most things that kill you aren't very pleasant, but ending up jammed at the bottom of this slot after a fall, unable to move as gravity squeezes the air from your lungs... slipping a little further... then unable to even refill your lungs...
- sheer terror.
Count me out.
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar.
It was tense.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 06 2013 7:16 am

Barrett wrote:Count me out.
Same here...
On Wednesday we went to the showing of Gorging in Tempe and afterwards they had a question and answer session with the producer and participants in the movie. It seemed to me quite a paradox... spread the word about the sport of 'gorging' but just don't tell the wrong people.

Wolfgang Schuster in particular, (president of the Coalition of American Canyoneers) seemed to take it a bit too far... I was very put off by his comments. He exuded an arrogance of the need to be first to go through a canyon, but keep it private and don't tell others! He complained about the crowds now showing up to pass through the same canyons...
Ha! Welcome to today's world buddy!

This same theme seems to be prevalent through the efforts of the American Canyoneers organization... they fight with the government to prevent wilderness areas from being closed to or at least a permit system to limit the numbers, yet on the other hand complain about the excessive numbers of people in those same areas. So how do you balance the two?

Wolfgang's solution appears to be let me and my buddies do what we want where we want but don't allow the same for everyone else. Yup, a real positive solution, wouldn't you say?
:M2C:

All that aside, the movie itself was great, but you won't ever see me doing that.
CannondaleKid
Change Phoenix website: PHOTOS & VIDEOS

oceanwithin
Kellipelli
City, State: AZ

Post by oceanwithin » Dec 06 2013 9:00 pm

I love canyoneering... but I have no desire to do crazy stemming like that. It takes an incredible amount of energy to sustain and the consequences of slipping... :o Looks like a beautiful canyon though.

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Dec 07 2013 8:05 am

@oceanwithin
Some good less severe but beautiful canyons in that area off the North Wash. When this canyon had it's supposed first descent ( as intrepid as the old ones were I really doubt a lot of things were ever first descended by the current modern crop of canyoneers', even most caves) some big dogs in the canyoneering world ended up spending the night on a ledge as they did not anticipate the difficulty and were not fully prepared.

desertgirl
Bika pelli
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by desertgirl » Dec 10 2013 9:33 am

CannondaleKid wrote: On Wednesday we went to the showing of Gorging in Tempe and afterwards they had a question and answer session with the producer and participants in the movie. It seemed to me quite a paradox... spread the word about the sport of 'gorging' but just don't tell the wrong people.

Wolfgang Schuster in particular, (president of the Coalition of American Canyoneers) seemed to take it a bit too far... I was very put off by his comments. He exuded an arrogance of the need to be first to go through a canyon, but keep it private and don't tell others! He complained about the crowds now showing up to pass through the same canyons... Ha! Welcome to today's world buddy!

This same theme seems to be prevalent through the efforts of the American Canyoneers organization... they fight with the government to prevent wilderness areas from being closed to or at least a permit system to limit the numbers, yet on the other hand complain about the excessive numbers of people in those same areas. So how do you balance the two?

Wolfgang's solution appears to be let me and my buddies do what we want where we want but don't allow the same for everyone else. Yup, a real positive solution, wouldn't you say? :M2C:

All that aside, the movie itself was great, but you won't ever see me doing that.
I was there at the movie as well -- this is very fair editorial on the post movie Q & A. If you don't want to have people there -- don't make a movie and show it and then qualify it with " invite the right kind". No movies, No charging for movies , no books, no " I will take you because you are the "right kind" , no crowds ....Go enjoy your canyons on your own and be very quite about it....

friendofThundergod
Adventurepelli

Post by friendofThundergod » Dec 10 2013 10:34 am

@CannondaleKid
Although, its a little off-topic, your opinions are consistent with a conversation I had with another HAZ member on Sunday. Mainly about sharing cool hiking locations, everyone wants to preserve their favorite spots and I get that, and I do that as well, however, some spots move you so much you want to share with other "cool" people...but then someone says well now everyone goes there and spot will be ruined, perhaps some truth, but the majority of these areas are public lands, so who are we to determine who is worthy of visiting?

I am unfamiliar with director, but I can totally picture the scene you described, some guy is saying on one hand hey patronize my film, like my videos on youtube etc, but please don't visit these spots or tell others about them lol..they are only reserved for us elite canyoneers, or something to that extent..

I totally get protecting cultural and historical sites, but all one can ever hope is that the honest stay honest and ethical remain ethical, but as hikers, climbers, canyoneers etc. we can only ensure that what we are doing is ethical and hope others follow and maybe not draw a line to them on a map :)

I have literally been half way around the world three times, and America is doing an ok job at preserving its natural wonders and wilderness areas..I have seen these beautiful castles built by the Greeks in Afghanistan that were turned into ammunition dumps, and public bathrooms and been on rain forest tours in Africa where we came across illegal logging and it didn't faze anyone..I think sometimes backpacking, hiking and these other outdoor sports lead to a culture of "elitists" who occasionally fall in the trap of, "I am worthy of visiting this place, but others are not"...I don't think that is what Teddy Roosevelt intended..I remember my first Rim to Rim to Rim, I literally was grilled for like 20 minutes by someone who thought I was illegally camping, who said my boots were not proper for hike and my pack was too heavy, so I must be looking to squat on someone's reserved site..lol..and he was apparently the hiker police and was not going to allow it..I told myself, I really hope I never come off like that to someone..but he fit that sometimes typical "hiker elitists" profile, of the guy who thinks you are wrong, because you are not doing something that is consistent with their values, or because you are doing something that does not appeal to them.

Ok that is my first time expressing a strong opinion...maybe too much coffee today..

chumley
Pitchin' Tent Expert
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 10 2013 11:02 am

friendofThundergod wrote:Ok that is my first time expressing a strong opinion...maybe too much coffee today..
As long as you didn't tell azbackpacker she should go out and vote for somebody you should be ok. :)
3-minute master!

friendofThundergod
Adventurepelli

Post by friendofThundergod » Dec 10 2013 11:17 am

@chumley

No worries there, I am a vet and I teach government, yet have not been near a ballot box in probably ten years.. :? so so so apathetic..lol worse government teacher ever..

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 10 2013 11:53 am

friendofThundergod wrote:
..but he fit that sometimes typical "hiker elitists" profile, of the guy who thinks you are wrong, because you are not doing something that is consistent with their values, or because you are doing something that does not appeal to them.
That's the reason I wear Columbia, especially in WA. If you're not wearing Mountain Hardware, REI, or North Face you're obviously too stupid to flip burgers and you're also the one who throws their Budlite cans all over the place.
I love being a heathen.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

friendofThundergod
Adventurepelli

Post by friendofThundergod » Dec 10 2013 12:00 pm

@Alston Neal
that bad eh? my friend keeps telling me to move there or Oregon..lol

chumley
Pitchin' Tent Expert
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 10 2013 12:31 pm

@Alston Neal
If it doesn't have "Ozark Trail" on the label, it's not for me! :)
3-minute master!

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 10 2013 12:35 pm

@chumley
Says the man with duct taped hiking pants.... :D
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 10 2013 12:44 pm

"Gorging" was very interesting to me as well...It invokes a lot of thought as Brian (the Director/Producer/Filmmaker) shows three different Perspectives of some of the Pioneers of Canyoneering and shows you how they can affect the Canyoneers that are going into the Sport now....And yes, they had a Q & A afterwards with one of the Main Characters who was very abrasive about what the Sport has become today...It left me with mixed Emotions since I am trying to take it up...But, I thought Brian did a really nice Job with the Film itself...

And I'm with Kelli....Love those Canyons, but that kind of Stemming is way more than I will ever think about trying....How can you enjoy something like that when every second is a physical demand trying not to fall??? :o I think I'll skip those kinds of Canyons.... :sweat:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

desertgirl
Bika pelli
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by desertgirl » Dec 12 2013 9:11 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:"Gorging" was very interesting to me as well...It invokes a lot of thought as Brian (the Director/Producer/Filmmaker) shows three different Perspectives of some of the Pioneers of Canyoneering and shows you how they can affect the Canyoneers that are going into the Sport now.... ...But, I thought Brian did a really nice Job with the Film itself...
Totally Agree with you here -- I really enjoyed the movie itself and would recommend it.

Back to video posted: Hmm wish I had the gumption :scared: to that ...perhaps some day : :?

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 13 2013 6:59 am

desertgirl wrote:Re: OutdoorLover's comment I thought Brian did a really nice Job with the Film itself...

Totally Agree with you here -- I really enjoyed the movie itself and would recommend it.
I believe he did a super job, as did the other cameraman right there, stemming along with him.
CannondaleKid
Change Phoenix website: PHOTOS & VIDEOS

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 13 2013 5:04 pm

@CannondaleKid
I actually did a Canyon with Brian the day before Gorging premiered in Springdale/Zion... http://hikearizona.com/trip=94116

It was very interesting hearing about the "behind the Scenes" portion of making the Film....When he was stemming that Canyon with his Photo Gear, shooting Steve (I think that was his name), he was pretty intimidated at times and was pretty freaked out when Steve "fell" and was out of sight! It was just him and Steve in that Canyon, and Brian was doing all of the Filming...He didn't have a lot of budget for that Film, but he was very Passionate about making it and it showed....And you still wouldn't catch me alive in a Canyon like that.... :sweat:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Return to “Bike, Camp, Climb, Kayak & etc”