Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
JohnB2
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: CIncinnati, OH

Suggestions for 2-3 week section?

Postby JohnB2 » Feb 29 2016 6:35 am

Hi.
I am a newbie. Any recommendations for hiking a 250 to 350 mile section of the trail in March? First time visit to the AZT. Water and weather are first concerns which come to mind. Another is access to and from an airport. My goal is solitude, hiking in beautiful scenery, but I am interested in covering some ground as well.

Thank you for any help.

John

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Suggestions for 2-3 week section?

Postby rcorfman » Feb 29 2016 8:59 am

Well, it's 300 miles from Mexico to Picket Post (passages 1-17) and that's the time most of the north bound thru-hikers will be starting.
Go find a LonelyCache

JohnB2
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: CIncinnati, OH

Postby JohnB2 » Mar 01 2016 11:30 am

@rcorfman
Thank you for the help. I was thinking of flying to Tuscon, going in around Vail at passage 8 and exiting at Roosevelt outside of Phoenix. Of course I should have taken more time to plan this. I spent some time looking at the passage information, and I my chief concern is water supply. I need to read more, but if it is a good bet that water will be available near the start / finish of each passage, I could buy my tickets and continue to do the research. In general, is there water near the start and finish of each passage?

John

garyc57
Junior Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Postby garyc57 » Mar 01 2016 12:01 pm

The only water near the start/end of each passage will be what you put there yourself, or MIGHT be there, for public consumption, thanks to our heavenly trail angels. :A1: You can contact the segment stewards before you leave, and find out what the water status is at that moment.

I wouldn't bet my life on water being there, unless I put it there myself - and then, there's always the chance someone will take it.

Forewarned is forearmed. YMMV. Caveat Emptor. Above all, have fun!

Return to “Bike, Camp, Climb, Kayak & etc”