South Rim Photo Location Help

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, Arizona

South Rim Photo Location Help

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Sep 27 2019 1:33 pm

This is a long shot, but I need help from any HAZ member who is familiar with the south rim overlook locations. The attached photo was taken in 1963 and is of me and my sister dangling our legs over the edge of the south rim. Obviously this was during a time when parents would not be arrested for child endangerment. :) This would have been near the Village and the usual tourist stops of the time. Hopefully the bend in the river and other geologic formations will be sufficient clues. Photo comparisons will be the key obviously, so if you are bored to tears and have no life, please look through your photos and try to find a match.
The end goal of all this is to take my sis up to the GC and recreate the photo (even with a close match to the clothing) and give her both photos framed together as a gift. Thanks in advance for any help!
Attachments
Shell & I #2.jpg
"In beauty happily I walk, With beauty before me I walk, With beauty behind me I walk, With beauty all around me I walk"
Navajo Nightway Chant

Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: South Rim Photo Location Help

Post by Alston_Neal » Sep 27 2019 3:50 pm

There's that happy little Dos we all know and love.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 27 2019 4:06 pm

At first glance, it looks like you’re a whole lot closer to the river than a south rim viewpoint. I’d have to look at it more closely though. Sometimes those old photos can play tricks. There was a similar post here a while back where the photo was scanned from a slide or negative upside down so the photo was reversed from reality.
Profound observer

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 27 2019 4:12 pm

It’s taken at the Desert View Tower. I didn’t post this one to HAZ, but I took it this April.
Attachments
6D1DBCB0-9B65-450B-843C-6BA3EDCB3027.jpeg
Profound observer

LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, Arizona

Post by LosDosSloFolks » Sep 27 2019 5:03 pm

@chumley
Yes! :y: You nailed it. :app: Mille Grazie. Before I saw this last response from you I was about to message you saying It might be more east than I originally thought. It did look like we were down on the Tonto platform but I never made it below the rim until 4 years later with the Scouts on the NK. Funny, I was just looking at Jim_H's post the other day of his Tanner hike and saw the tower in his photoset. I'll be certain to post the re-make of the photo with kudos to you. That trip was the classic Route 66, Chicago to L.A. with the canvas water bag on the hood and everything. Ended up at Disneyland just like the Chevy Chase movie. :lol: No "family truckster" though, just an old Buick. Thanks again...I owe you one.
"In beauty happily I walk, With beauty before me I walk, With beauty behind me I walk, With beauty all around me I walk"
Navajo Nightway Chant

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Sep 27 2019 5:25 pm

Yup, Desert view, I was just there. Also, the river and distinct super group formation is visible near the bottom.

It looks like you went out past the railing, which I also did, to a rocky outcropping beyond the normal viewing area. It is very easy to access that area today. I also went out there and just sort of hung out under a juniper before I left, to get away from all the crowds taking selfies.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

Return to “Grand Canyon Forum”