Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel PLUS Rim area accoutrements closed

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Area  • Grand Canyon, AZ
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel PLUS Rim area accoutrements closed

Post by hikeaz » Mar 19 2020 2:15 pm

Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel Closed From Friday, March 20, 2020– Thursday, May 21, 2020.

Physical backcountry Office is closed - Permits by phone (928 638 7875) and fax only.

Effective 3/20/2020
Closed are:
El Tovar Hotel
Bright Angel Lodge
Thunderbird Lodge
Kachina Lodge
Maswik Lodge
Hopi House
Lookout Studio
Hermits Rest
Phantom Ranch
Mule Rides yippee!
Bus Tours

Effective Sunday, March 22, 2020, the following Delaware North Operations will close:
Yavpai Lodge. Yavapai Lodge Restaurant and Tavern
Trailer Village will only be open for full hook-up sites.
Trailer Village restrooms, along with partial and no hook-up sites will be closed.
The RV and Camper Services laundry, showers and food service will be closed.

Effective March 23, 2020, Canyon Village Market will be open from 12-6 pm.
The Collection of entrance fees has been temporarily suspended at Grand Canyon National Park at the Desert View and South Entrance Stations. This is being done to help limit exposure of park staff and visitors to the novel (new) coronavirus (COVID-19).
Digital entrance pass options are not available at this time. Please do not attempt to purchase.
Grand Canyon Shuttle Bus Service is Suspended (including the Hiker Express Shuttle)
Last edited by hikeaz on Mar 19 2020 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kurt

no avatar
ShatteredArm
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel PLUS Rim area accoutrements closed

Post by ShatteredArm » Mar 28 2020 9:23 am

@chumley
The trail was closed at noon yesterday. More than likely, I would've been off the corridor trails by then. The permit would've technically been valid since it didn't have any nights in corridor campgrounds. I'm fairly positive they wouldn't mind someone who is already down there hiking out after the trail closure.

There very well could be some people who are already down there, are planning on hiking out via Bright Angel, and don't know that it's closed.

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Mar 28 2020 9:26 am

chumley wrote:What makes you think you'd have been able to hike on a closed trail?
I would simply put on my old NPS hat ask each individual hiker "What the hell are you thinking!
:sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl: :sl:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Apr 04 2020 3:01 pm

The Grand Canyon Lodge North Rim has moved it's 2020 season opening date to June 1st, 2020.
kurt

azbackpackr
City, State: Flagstaff AZ

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 29 2020 3:06 am

GCNP River district: They MIGHT reopen for launches June 14, but they will evaluate the situation again mid-May, and will let commercial outfitters and private boaters know.
Xanterra facilities, Grand Canyon, will reopen June 15, but again, they will continue to evaluate the situation. This would include most of the hotels in the Park.

The unemployment I'm now able to collect is nice, but will run out in mid-July. Fortunately I have other income. Other people may not have that. I'm using the unemployment $$ to save up a year's worth of rent money, and have paid off small debts already. I'm not running out to buy a new kayak, although it's very tempting. I also am not sure I want to do my job when the time comes. As a bus driver, it puts me in very close contact with many people from all over.

The people who said that "being on a river trip is the safest place" are not thinking through all the possibilities. Imagine a 14-day commercial oar trip with 27 people on it. One person on that trip may be coming down with the virus, unknown at the launch ramp. They can infect others on the trip. Then the Park Service has to put their personnel in jeopardy sending a helicopter crew to remove the sick people. A few days later, maybe more people get sick, to the point maybe there are no longer enough qualified boatmen. Then the Park Service has to find boatmen willing to go in, fly them in, and fly more sick people out. It would be a nightmare.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Grand Canyon Forum”