12 Day Grand Cany Backpacking/Float Video

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

12 Day Grand Cany Backpacking/Float Video

Post by tibber »

I'm to South Bass beach around Day 7 of this video. Those of you have hiked from Hermits to Royal and out via North Bass will really appreciate it. I'm watching it over time and have found it very good and the quality of the video is top notch. I'd like to know how they make it so smooth. Anyway, it is definitely an adventure and since I know I will no longer be able to do that kind of hiking, it was fun to tag along with them while they did all the work.

Enjoy: [ youtube video ]
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.
LosDosSloFolks
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Re: 12 Day Grand Cany Backpacking/Float Video

Post by LosDosSloFolks »

@tibber
We've watched a lot of his videos....very well done indeed. Thanks for posting this one.
It was me...I let the dogs out.
no avatar
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

I watched it the other day when I got the youtube notification and yes I can easily say it's one of Joey's best videos to date. I think anyone on this site would enjoy it.
no avatar
wildwesthikes

Post by wildwesthikes »

@tibber
re: how they make it so smooth.

I can't speak for Joey but I can tell you how I do it:

My camera (Panasonic G9) has both in-body and lens stabilization - together they work in tandem to do 6.5 stop stabilization that looks almost gimbal like. It also has electronic image stabilization - which I usually don't use because it crops the image. I remember Joey saying on another recent video that he was thinking about switching to the new GoPro (8?) and I think based on what I'm seeing it looks like that's probably what he's using. The new GoPro's have really good electronic IS. I can also tell there's stabilization applied in post in at least some of the scenes; you get used to the look of it after a while.

On my own videos I do all of the above. I also keep the camera on a tripod and I hold it in such a way that it minimizes shake - sort of bracing it against my body as I walk, holding it almost at a diagonal angle when doing 1st person shots. You have to be careful with how much stabilization you apply in post, as too much on shaky video will make it look all weird and wavy. Yes that setup is heavy, but it can be done just as easy with lighter cameras - including cell phones.

I've found in-body stabilization + post stabilization in software is the best combo. You have to play with the settings per scene to get it just right. I frequently will do multiple takes of the same shot to get it as stable in-camera as possible, which is key.
no avatar
Nobody01

Post by Nobody01 »

Probably one of the best videos from that guy so far. He doesn't really know how to end his videos for the life of him but the rest is pretty good stuff! Good quarantine videos to pass the time!
Embrace the suck.
tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by tibber »

He used to work at the Swiftcurrent Inn at Glacier in 2007. I was watching a couple of his Glacier Park backpacking videos over the last week and learned that. He's backpacked a couple areas we are hoping to do this summer.

Anyway, I thot the Grand Canyon backpacking video was a great backpack and how they dealt with certain situations that came up. That last nite in the Canyon sounded like something else. They are strong backpackers, that's for sure.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

Return to “Grand Canyon Forum”