Nankoweap Drive, Starting Point, Etc.

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Nankoweap Trail, AZ
Linked Areas none
ddgrunning
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Nankoweap Drive, Starting Point, Etc.

Post by ddgrunning »

Looking for intel on the status of the road to the "north" TH to Nankoweap, off 89A by Vermillion Cliffs. The maps show it a "Buffalo Ranch" Road, then 8910. Is it a high clearance/4WD situation?

Also, while I'm at it, I get the sense that this is generally the preferred starting point, as opposed to starting from the Saddle Mountain Overlook. That said, I'm interested in hearing views of those with experience.

Finally, I've got a 4 day permit, but considering just taking 3--with two night base camp at Nankoweap Creek. If we were to add the additional night, suggestions on what else to see/do? Looking forward to the day hiked down to the granaries, but not sure what else there is to explore in the area. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Canyonram
City, State: Page, AZ

Re: Nankoweap Drive, Starting Point, Etc.

Post by Canyonram »

@ShatteredArm
Thanks for calling out my misstatement. I apologize. Your initial post to the OP provided some good info. I should have said: “Do you have any additional advice for the OP or is it your intent to simply troll my responses to the forum?”
"I shot a werewolf once. But by the time I went to retrieve it, it changed into my neighbor's dog." D. Schruete
Canyonram
City, State: Page, AZ

Post by Canyonram »

@nonot
Great list.

Butchart used the phrase 'sporty' when describinng his more extreme routes. It means, "Good God---you want me to go that way!"
"I shot a werewolf once. But by the time I went to retrieve it, it changed into my neighbor's dog." D. Schruete
ddgrunning
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ddgrunning »

@nonot
Thanks. Looking hard at Mystic Falls. Looks like a solid bushwhack on the final approach, but not too bad in the creekbed before that, and manageable AEG. Also, considering Nankoweap Butte per @friendofThundergod's suggestion, or along the Colorado to Kwagunt Canyon/Creek. Making it down and back to the LCR would be cool, but probably a little much for a day hike for those of us not named @toddak ;-)
friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod »

@ddgrunning I might be putting Mystic Falls on my list too for the future :)
friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod »

@ddgrunning
Also I think a fun test for your pretty rugged family would be hike down CO, up Kwagunt and then summit Nankoweap Butte, by using the Fault Butte route, pretty straight forward off trail navigation. I didn’t post a route but details of route are in here.

[ triplog ]
nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by nonot »

@ddgrunning
I've wasted far too much of my life researching every Grand Canyon hike from Butchart and others I could get my hands on. The last triplog to Mystic Falls I have is over 10 years old, but reported brush only in the last segment, with the majority of the trip up that branch of the canyon described as fairly easy. I have no idea though if the falls will run in the fall, or if it is a spring snowmelt only deal. In any event, I've found exploring the various side canyons in the big ditch to always be enjoyable even without big waterfalls.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!
no avatar
ShatteredArm
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by ShatteredArm »

@nonot
I had Mystic Falls penciled in last year, but yeah, hard to find any intel on if it would actually be flowing. Seems especially doubtful this year.

Return to “Grand Canyon Forum”