Mapping and surveying GC through history

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Mapping and surveying GC through history

Post by chumley »

The ASU Library's Map and Geospatial Hub just published an online presentation with a wealth of interesting data from historical surveys of Grand Canyon.

If you like maps, history, or Grand Canyon, (or all three!!!) you'll probably enjoy this presentation.

Here's a news story introducing/describing the project:
https://news.asu.edu/20210211-creativit ... expedition

Here's a direct link to the project:
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/a8 ... 6b13326136
33s over 45s
Alston_Neal
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Mapping and surveying GC through history

Post by Alston_Neal »

Pretty impressive presentation.
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker »

I am going to be busy, thank you for the link.
jk
Canyonram
City, State: Page, AZ

Post by Canyonram »

@chumley

Thanks for the post. Wish I could have been with JW Powell---when the Canyon was still an uncharted mystery.
"I shot a werewolf once. But by the time I went to retrieve it, it changed into my neighbor's dog." D. Schruete
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

Canyonram wrote: Apr 12 2021 9:54 pm @chumley

Thanks for the post. Wish I could have been with JW Powell---when the Canyon was still an uncharted mystery.
I don't know. I would have been scared to death the whole time. I hope I wouldn't have gone with the guys who bailed out. Who would have thought that running the rapids was the safe option?
no avatar
sam_hikes
City, State: Phoenix,AZ

Post by sam_hikes »

a little off topic but I wonder what Powell and company would think of people swimming across the Colorado in pursuit of a new R2R2R FKT ALT record time?

Latest rage with the ultra crowd as I was asked for GC beta during a recent Mt Ord trek. The Mt Ord ultras struggled with their all day 28 mile double on Ord in prep for their upcoming 250 mile race in May from BC to Flag.

Just noticed a group of 4 recorded their GC FKT on youtube.
chumley

Post by chumley »

@sam_hikes
I would expect JWP would be very confused by the fact that human society had evolved to a point where people would eschew the wonder of exploration in exchange for vacuous accolades achieved from superficial ambitions.
33s over 45s
friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod »

@sam_hikes
I am going to go out on a limb and assume Powell's response would be, "What is R2R2R and what is a FTK?"
friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod »

@chumley
Wait? So Powell was not pursing any accolades? ;)
chumley

Post by chumley »

@friendofThundergod
I believe he made it his life's mission to make sure that the entire internet was aware that his name was emblazoned on the second largest fake lake on the continent.
33s over 45s
SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs »

@chumley - There is no better feeling than snagging accolades on Strava. Not that I will ever know.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal »

chumley wrote:his name was emblazoned on the second largest fake lake on the continent
Yeah if he could he would have had "a" hand in it.
Semifunctional adult

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com
Canyonram

Post by Canyonram »

@big_load

That would be a tough call to make—to stick with Powell or attempt to hike out. The three men who decided to hike out, Oramel Howland, his brother Seneca Howland, and William Dunn were all experienced hunters, trappers, with Seneca a ‘mountain man.’ That sounds like a trio with some chance to find their way not only out of the Canyon but overland. On the other hand (apology to Powell), Powell knew the Virgin River was close and the chance for survival and extraction, if they got past Separation Rapids, was at least quicker in that direction. I probably would have stayed with Powell out of determination to finish the mission—even with the temptation to continue the adventure by hiking out.

I’m more terrified of driving on the freeways during rush hour in LA, Boston, New York than anything the Canyon has to offer.

Need to give the Native Peoples who lived in and near the Canyon for thousands of years credit for the first ‘expeditions.’ Powell should have checked with Tiyo and borrowed a hollow log to run the River.

https://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-l ... ona-009125
"I shot a werewolf once. But by the time I went to retrieve it, it changed into my neighbor's dog." D. Schruete
Canyonram

Post by Canyonram »

Alston_Neal wrote:Yeah if he could he would have had "a" hand in it.
I’d applaud the play on words in regards to Powell having a hand in it, but would you be able to hear the sound of one hand clapping?
no avatar
ShatteredArm

Post by ShatteredArm »

sam_hikes wrote:Latest rage with the ultra crowd as I was asked for GC beta during a recent Mt Ord trek.
Trust me, I probably know a plurality of the ultrarunners in AZ, and I guarantee you the "Alt" R2R2R is not becoming the "latest rage", nor will it ever. A very small percentage of the people you encountered on Mt Ord will ever venture farther from the corridor than Hermit or Grandview, if they even get that far.

If I'm wrong, we're probably going to start hearing about a lot more rescues in the coming years.
big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load »

Canyonram wrote:That would be a tough call to make—to stick with Powell or attempt to hike out. The three men who decided to hike out, Oramel Howland, his brother Seneca Howland, and William Dunn were all experienced hunters, trappers, with Seneca a ‘mountain man.’ That sounds like a trio with some chance to find their way not only out of the Canyon but overland. On the other hand (apology to Powell), Powell knew the Virgin River was close and the chance for survival and extraction, if they got past Separation Rapids, was at least quicker in that direction.
I'd like to think I'd have stuck it out, having made it as far as they did despite some ominous mishaps.
SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs »

ShatteredArm wrote:Trust me, I probably know a plurality of the ultrarunners in AZ, and I guarantee you the "Alt" R2R2R is not becoming the "latest rage", nor will it ever. A very small percentage of the people you encountered on Mt Ord will ever venture farther from the corridor than Hermit or Grandview, if they even get that far.
I know a lot of the trail and ultra folks around Arizona as well. About the only runs I hear about not primarily on a corridor trail are Grandview-Tonto-SK or on rare occasions Hermit-Tonto-BA. Most of the runners stick with the tried and true corridor trails.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
KwaiChang
City, State: Bradenton, FL

Post by KwaiChang »

@SpiderLegs
Wimps!!! Just WIMPS!!!
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

Return to “Grand Canyon Forum”