Nankoweap Intermittent Pools

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Barrett
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Nankoweap Intermittent Pools

Post by Barrett »

Does anyone know if there are significant intermittent pools in the Tilted Mesa area on Nankoweap?
The forecast calls for rain and I'm considering bringing my 3x32 Oz cache empty and filling it when I get near that area.
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar.
It was tense.
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Nankoweap Intermittent Pools

Post by chumley »

@Barrett
I wouldn't count on any pools. Even if there's a little bit of bedrock, with only about 0.10" of rain in the forecast, I don't think there will be much surface water to draw from.
33s over 45s
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

@chumley
Thank you.
I didn't like the idea of risking it, but with the temperature and rain forecast my ultralight plan has suddenly gained a lot of weight.
It was tense.
toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak »

Was there 4/10, saw zero water until Nanko Creek
friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod »

@Barrett I was out there this weekend to do Marion Point. No water seeping near Marion Point camp and no pooled water, generally very dry out there.
BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP »

@Barrett
Hope you have a great trip. Loved that area!
https://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP
Canyonram
City, State: Page, AZ

Post by Canyonram »

Barrett wrote:Does anyone know if there are significant intermittent pools in the Tilted Mesa area on Nankoweap?
The forecast calls for rain and I'm considering bringing my 3x32 Oz cache empty and filling it when I get near that area.
Don't plan the hike thinking there will be water anywhere but Nankoweap Creek---about 11-12 mile down. Even the seep at Marion is totally unreliable (about 1.5 miles down). The most water I ever got there was using a cotton handkerchief to soak up the dampness. I used to check there to see if I could gather sufficient water if I was in a pickle. No idea what is happening at this seep with the continued drought. You could day hike water down a few miles and cache water/gear for the full hike and return to the rim for the night and begin the hike proper the following morning.

You can also check with the backcountry office---depending on the rangers working there you might get lucky and find one with current knowledge of the water situation. As long as I can remember, Nankoweap has been considered a waterless trail down to the creek.
"I shot a werewolf once. But by the time I went to retrieve it, it changed into my neighbor's dog." D. Schruete
Canyonram

Post by Canyonram »

Barrett wrote:Does anyone know if there are significant intermittent pools in the Tilted Mesa area on Nankoweap?
Great triplog and photos. With all the rain, how much water were you able to draw?
"I shot a werewolf once. But by the time I went to retrieve it, it changed into my neighbor's dog." D. Schruete
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

@Canyonram
Having already carried in 96 oz., I had no need, but it did occur to me.
I didn't see any significant pools - I would rather drink rainwater than what reconstitutes in some of those.
The tent fly in place on the tent barely funnels at all. I could have used my mylar and gathered 96 0z. no problem.
I preferred to stay dry.
It was tense.
Canyonram

Post by Canyonram »

@Barrett
I’m curious about the amount of water that was available on Tilted Mesa. Your first night you got hit with heavy rain. When you started your hike in the morning, how much water did you see that you could have collected if you needed it? Also, on the way back up when you returned to Tilted Mesa (or along the route up), how much water was available?

When it starts raining at 2AM, you are required to crawl out of your tent, get butt-naked, and do the Hopi Rain Dance. Fill every available container with the gift of rain. Drink your fill (without kicking yourself into hyponatremia). Cache for the return trip.

[ youtube video ]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

@Canyonram
Perhaps because my water needs were addressed I did not pay close attention, but I do not recall seeing any pools larger than say 16 oz. Like most people, if my mind does not attach significance to an experience, it is erased. I don't want anyone relying on my tinaja beta.
I wonder which is more efficient, carrying water from the trailhead 8 miles downhill, or carrying it 3 miles uphill from the Creek?
In retrospect I would say no cache is needed if going from Creek to Trailhead in one day of cool weather if experienced, fit, and lightly loaded. I'm old with suspect knees and like to hang out, take pictures, etc.
It was tense.

Return to “Grand Canyon Forum”