GC "deepest elev drop point= 6000 ft."

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

GC "deepest elev drop point= 6000 ft."

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 13 2008 10:56 am

Every morning I try to find time to view the Natl Geographic website "Photo of the Day". For Sat-7/12/08 they had one posted on our GC, with the below caption(photo not attached). Does anyone know where (what location at the GC and is it accessable by vehicle) this 6000' deepest drop point is located?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
"Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, 2005
Photograph by Michael Nichols

A pool of rainwater in a Grand Canyon boulder reflects canyon and sky. A writhing giant with scores of limbs (some still unnamed), the Grand Canyon slices 277 miles (446 kilometers) through northern Arizona, extending 18 miles (29 kilometers) at its widest point and 6,000 feet (1,800 meters) at its deepest—one of Earth's largest canyon systems. Cut by the Colorado River in the past six million years, it exposes rock strata that detail nearly two billion years of North America's geologic history.

(Text adapted from and photo shot on assignment for, but not published in, "The Unexpected Canyon," January 2006, National Geographic magazine)"
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: GC "deepest elev drop point= 6000 ft."

Post by joebartels » Jul 13 2008 11:04 am

Grasshopper wrote:Does anyone know where (what location at the GC and is it accessable by vehicle) this 6000' deepest drop point is located?
I've never been there but probably the trailhead for those rim trails such as Bright Angel Point Trail on the north rim?

BTW... that photo was fair at best :lol:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 13 2008 11:41 am

joe bartels wrote:BTW... that photo was fair at best

..and probably WHY it was never published :) . Their "Photo of the Day" website features photos that were taken on assignment for a National Geographic Magazine article, but were never published. Their photo captions are sometimes interesting to read, and once in a while they do publish a photo that ranks a solid "5" in my book!

nonot

Post by nonot » Jul 13 2008 1:07 pm

North Kaibob is listed at 5760 on HAZ, probably close enough
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Davis2001r6
City, State: Suffolk, UK

Post by Davis2001r6 » Jul 13 2008 1:36 pm

I don't think it was saying a place has a 6000' drop, just the canyon is 6000' deep at it's deepest spot. I think Pt. Imperial is the highest point along the North Rim at around 8800'.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 13 2008 1:54 pm

I think you're right
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 13 2008 5:10 pm

Because I'm enjoying the rain on my patio this afternoon, I'm playing with Topo!... From Pt. Imperial to the river is 6019 feet. It's a distance of 7.25 miles, and from as far as I can determine, it is impossible to see the river from Pt. Imperial due blocking terrain in the lower elevations.

Its 5600 feet from Francois Matthes Point (8060ft) to the river, over a distance of 6 miles. It appears to be the largest elevation change where there is a direct line-of-sight from the high point to the river.

The steepest and deepest single area I see is from Dutton Point to the river. It's about 5400 feet over a relatively short 3.5 miles.
Profound observer

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 13 2008 6:14 pm

chumley wrote:It's about 5400 feet over a relatively short 3.5 miles.
Ouch!

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Jul 13 2008 10:46 pm

well im new to the forum but have to chime in on this one. alot of people have different ways to measure height. being a B.A.S.E. jumper for the last 8 years ive heard it all. "go to the grand canyon, its 5 thousand ft to the bottom" is a big one. you'd be very lucky to find 900' shear there. another fella a few years back said to check out ariviapa, it got "thousand footers". of course we went to find nothing jumpable. im just using all this as an example. alot of people think if they were to fall off the south rim at yavapai point, they'll fall all the way to the bottom, when in actuality impact would be around 500 give or take.it like saying "arizona-deepest elev drop 12'633 ft." just my 2 pennies.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Jul 14 2008 8:57 am

base871 wrote: ive heard it all. "go to the grand canyon, its 5 thousand ft to the bottom" is a big one. you'd be very lucky to find 900' shear there.
Clarifying this with the word "shear drop" definitely gives this issue more clarity..thanks for your 2 pennies!
(a GC 6000' drop or deepest point from top to water level at bottom still seems like an unbelievable long way down to me, but maybe so based on others comments above)..

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 14 2008 10:14 am

base871 wrote:being a B.A.S.E. jumper...
Wow! It looks so cool, but I realistically know I just wouldn't have the cajones to actually do it. :o Good for you!

I'm Norwegian, and very time I visit Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock) in Norway, I'm always amazed at watching the B.A.S.E. jumpers. It's one of the premier spots for the sport and it's a spectacle to watch. 2000 feet straight drop to Lysefjord below.

Photos borrowed from Wikipedia.
Attachments
pk1.jpg
pk2.jpg
Profound observer

base871
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Jul 14 2008 3:03 pm

norway is amazing! probably the most jumped cliffs in the world. alot of 3ooo' footers, and i believe the Troll Wall was around 4, but its illegal to jump now. alot of people are opening sites on baffin island, supposedly there is a 5000'ft wall that is 1000'ft overhung. now thats a cliff! id love to go, but i guess ill have to stick with the "low" stuff around here!
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by azdesertfather » Jul 15 2008 12:10 am

chumley wrote:
Photos borrowed from Wikipedia.

B-E-A-UTIFUL attachments...gives me the itch to get up there again this fall!!! :D
Dave
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Grand Canyon Forum”