Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Canyonram
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Trail head theft

Post by Canyonram » Mar 06 2010 4:10 pm

Has anyone experienced theft and/or vandalism of their vehicle after leaving it parked at the trail head? This is becoming a very common event at some of the trails close to urban areas and I wonder if it has happened to someone at Grand Canyon. (I hope the answer is NO.) Some of the GC trail heads are accessible at night with the 'overnight' parking clearly designated (Grandview comes to mind).

Last summer, I returned late to the BCO parking lot after a Clear Creek hike. My tire was flat----I had to unload my truck and made a ruckus getting the tire on-and-off. I was fully visible under the overhead parking lot lights and it dawned on me that I could just as easily be stealing a tire instead of replacing a flat. I was not challenged by anyone---Park Service or other hikers.

PatrickL
Semi Annual Kokopelli
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Re: Trail head theft

Post by PatrickL » Dec 01 2011 7:05 pm

This, and crooked people on the trail, are always my biggest concern while I'm out. On the way to Bassett Peak a few weeks ago, I had passed a few occupied campsites on the way in, and parked at some random spot on the side of the forest road. From the outside of the car, I imagine I look like a 16 year-old who took his mom's minivan out for the day - Not the most intimidating persona. But alas, I've never had a problem. Nothing noticeable is gone, and no dings, scratches, or bullet holes have been spotted. I would love to think there are more good people than bad people out there, but that can be a difficult task.

Trishness
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Dec 01 2011 8:10 pm

Alston Neal wrote: My son told me that one day at a TH he saw 2 women pull up in their car, pop the hood from inside and throw their purses into the engine compartment. Then locked the car and took off hiking.
That's a good one!

I don't ever bring a purse to any trailhead. I have a little wallet that I put my cash, DL, cards and registration in and put it in my pack. I never leave the registration or insurance cards in my vehicle. And having Lojack is a good thing too :)
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 02 2011 10:35 am

One day after hiking I noticed my wife had left her car keys in our vehicle. She had been doing this for awhile when I had a DUH moment.
So, leaving your keys here means if someone breaks in they can unlock the Club and then drive off. We both looked at each other and laughed....Duh!
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

chumley
budding artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 02 2011 4:15 pm

Arrests made in theft from cars parked at Scottsdale trailheads

Scottsdale police have arrested two people on suspicion of making large purchases with credit cards stolen from cars parked at hiking trailheads.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scot ... z1fQDu69PV

As usual, an apparently brilliant pair ...
smoke it

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 02 2011 5:59 pm

Sheez, what a couple of dumb donkeys, and total losers. Stupid to live your life that way. Everyone, no matter how downtrodden, has better choices than that.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 04 2011 9:42 pm

Kudos to the "Resident" who actually not only noticed something, but took the time to act! : app :
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Dave1
Articulate Adventurer
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Dave1 » May 21 2012 12:33 pm

Scottsdale man arrested in trailhead VW burglary

A Scottsdale man was arrested Sunday on suspicion of burglarizing a vehicle in the parking lot of a trailhead.

Scottsdale police arrested Donald Tomasian, 43, about 5 p.m. at the McDowell Sonoran Preserve Gateway Trailhead, 18333 N. Thompson Peak Parkway, after he was observed by police burglarizing a white Volkswagen vehicle parked at the trailhead.

Tomasian was booked for...

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » May 23 2012 8:51 pm

: app :
Good job, cops!

Snipers in the bushes might work, too.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Re: Hiking vehicles

Post by RowdyandMe » Feb 15 2019 6:18 pm

I hiked at Desert Vista Trailhead this morning. I met and talked to a few hikers and runners. But when I finished my hike. I seen one of the runners upset as someone broke his window and two other cars also had broken windows. One lady was very upset as her purse was taken.
Somehow I got lucky as my car didn’t get broken to.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Return to “Grand Canyon Forum”