Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

4 Nevada men rescued after GC base jump

Post by hikeaz » Sep 21 2010 10:46 pm

September 21, 2010 11:34 PM ET

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) - Northern Arizona authorities say they have rescued four Nevada men reported missing after base jumping along the Little Colorado River.

The Coconino County Sheriff's Office says the Las Vegas-area men were located late Tuesday afternoon halfway down a canyon outside Grand Canyon National Park. They were airlifted out by helicopter and were being treated for severe dehydration, but none of the men were reported to be injured.

The men's names and ages were not immediately released. Authorities say it's unclear how the men got stranded (gee... I wonder how) after parachuting off sheer cliffs along the river Sunday. They were due to return home Monday and when they didn't, concerned relatives called Arizona authorities.
kurt

fotogirl53
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Re: 4 Nevada men rescued after GC base jump

Post by fotogirl53 » Sep 21 2010 11:40 pm

I wonder how much adult beverage was involved in deciding to jump off a cliff without thinking about how to get back up?! [-X
Allergic to cities.

Dave1
Articulate Adventurer
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Dave1 » Sep 21 2010 11:43 pm

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 22 2010 4:07 am

Well, I guess I am glad they got rescued, although I am worried they are young, and will probably be passing their genes on to another generation of idiots.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Vaporman
Mythical Legend
City, State: SLC, Utah

Post by Vaporman » Sep 22 2010 7:07 am

LoL... :sl:
Yea, canyoneering is an extreme sport... EXTREMELY dramatic!!! =p

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Sep 22 2010 8:09 am

azbackpackr wrote:Well, I guess I am glad they got rescued, although I am worried they are young, and will probably be passing their genes on to another generation of idiots.
By your own argument, then, we as a society as a whole are responsible for removing the selection pressures that would have prevented them from passing their genes on...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 22 2010 8:36 am

Hmmmm.....
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Sep 22 2010 8:55 am

I'm just sayin'... :D
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Sep 22 2010 9:35 am

They should have left those clowns to die. Their carcasses would have been good condor food

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Sep 22 2010 10:36 am

jeffmacewen wrote:we as a society as a whole are responsible for removing the selection pressures that would have prevented them from passing their genes on...
Removing the D-rings from their shoots prior to jumping would've had the same effect...

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 22 2010 10:59 am

Don't we have a couple base jumpers on site here? Maybe they could give us some "insider info" as it were?
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Sep 22 2010 1:31 pm

I tried it twice with an old buddy who had his own gear. Skydiving is a much better ROI time and energy-wise, IMHO... :M2C:
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

azhiker96
No Trace Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Sep 22 2010 2:27 pm

jeffmacewen wrote: By your own argument, then, we as a society as a whole are responsible for removing the selection pressures that would have prevented them from passing their genes on...
Yup, we've been doing it for a long time; helmet laws, seat belt laws, mandatory vaccinations. :M2C: :M2C:
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

base871
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Sep 22 2010 6:54 pm

Yup got stuck after dark in hell hole bend. Very technical jump, with little or no room for error. Very few trails to the top, and tricky (hence why none are on here.)

So you think they shouldve died huh? Nobody deserves to die. We just do something most people are too scared to do. Get to see nature in a different perspective.

tarzan swinging' moron.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

AZLOT69
Adventure Kokopelli
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by AZLOT69 » Sep 22 2010 7:25 pm

To die would be the cowards way out, let them pay for the rescue ! :STP:
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

base871
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » Sep 22 2010 7:44 pm

Oh they will pay. to SAR and the Navajos. They outlawed base jumping there last may.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Sep 22 2010 9:19 pm

base871 wrote:Oh they will pay. to SAR and the Navajos. They outlawed base jumping there last may.
Good to know. Hey, you want to go and pull a stealth jump I couldn't care less as long as you don't hurt anyone and you pay if you need to pay...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Sep 22 2010 9:29 pm

base871 wrote:Yup got stuck after dark in hell hole bend. Very technical jump, with little or no room for error. Very few trails to the top, and tricky (hence why none are on here.)

So you think they shouldve died huh? Nobody deserves to die. We just do something most people are too scared to do. Get to see nature in a different perspective.

pumpkin moron.
I was pretty out of line. I apologize. However, what they did was very very stupid. Engaging in such behavior (i.e. jumping down without knowing how to get out) not only places their own lives at risk, but also the lives of the folks who are brave enough to rescue them. That is the ultimate act of selfishness.
I could care less if people engage in what most people consider excessively risky activities as long as it doesn't endanger others.

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Sep 23 2010 7:06 am

I could care less if people engage in what most people consider excessively risky activities as long as it doesn't endanger others.
...when it comes to SARS, this argument does not hold... otherwise, we'd all have to quit heading out into the wilds. Those volunteers and professionals choosing to engage in rescue have to make that dedication without regard to the origin of the problem. There is just no good place to draw a line. Individually, we decide to run whatever risk we care to... I'm happy if no one chooses to get me out of any mess I get myself into. I would not appreciate being told I can not take my risk simply because it might place a rescue person at risk. That risk is theirs to determine. Charge for stupidity, if it can be reasonably defined. Otherwise... it's all just part of the mix. Life.
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

paulhubbard
Harley Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Sep 23 2010 7:59 am

The only legit "charge for stupidity" is already in place - Drive around barricades that block a temporarily flooded road and if rescued you face a hefty fine under the "Stupid Motorist" law. I love that one - If the shoe fits (and it does often!)
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Return to “Grand Canyon Forum”