Linked Areas none
HAZDevTeam
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Joe Bartels hiking injury

Post by HAZDevTeam » Jun 13 2017 5:30 am

Edit: Putting the link to fundraising at the top of the thread:
https://hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10154

On Saturday June 10 while hiking in northern Arizona, Joe fell from a rock outcropping along the trail.

He sustained serious injuries and was airlifted to Flagstaff Medical Center before being transferred to Phoenix.

Joe is currently in serious but stable condition undergoing treatment for numerous broken bones and internal injuries.

There are many questions for which we do not currently have answers. We will post further details on his condition and recovery when doctors are able to provide them.

We know that HAZ is a close-knit community and appreciate the many thoughts and prayers from those of you who have made this website such a valuable resource in Arizona and beyond.

At this time Joe’s family has asked for privacy. Contact from well-wishers is appreciated but overwhelming. Please refrain at this time.

Joe was hiking with HAZ members who assisted with his care until first responders arrived on scene. Other hikers in the same area at the time provided important help. We are very grateful for all those who participated in his rescue. This has been a difficult several days for those involved, so we ask you to not inundate them with messages or questions.

Now, a few notes about the website.
Please don’t PM Joe at this time. He does not have access to HAZ in the hospital.

Technical issues may still be reported using the regular reporting buttons at the bottom of each page. Note that responses to these inquiries will take longer than usual.

This thread is locked because we would prefer not to have a thread full of comments, well-wishes, or discussion at this time. Please do not start a new thread or comment elsewhere on the site. We will provide an avenue for this in the coming days.

If you have urgent questions you may PM @HAZDevTeam but a response is not guaranteed and/or may take some time.

We will post updates here on the HAZ Forum in the days ahead.
We may also utilize the HikeArizona.COM Facebook page to post updates and information:

Thank you for your thoughts and support, patience and understanding at this challenging time and join us in wishing Joe a full and speedy recovery.

mazatzal
Mazopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Joe Bartels hiking injury

Post by mazatzal » Jun 29 2017 8:06 am

Thank you for all your work / HAZ and best wishes for continued recovery.
Think about your favorite mazzy hikes!

SpiderLegs
Former Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Jun 29 2017 8:33 am

When I moved back to Arizona I was already a fairly experienced hiker, but I was dreading moving here again. Discovered HAZ and it made the move a lot more palatable. Like Jason, finding HAZ was a life saver and I can say that I've made some life long friends here.

Speedy recovery Joe!
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Jun 29 2017 9:41 am

HAZ, therefore YOU, changed my life forever, thank goodness! or I'd still be stuck in my garden, going to the boring gym and doing those casual hikes. I was so frightened when I heard about your accident and am now so happy to hear you're recovering quickly. All my best to you Joe!

PS and now just think, you have time to watch all my videos...if you need the link, let me know :lol: .
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

The_Dude
Hortipelli

Post by The_Dude » Jun 29 2017 1:18 pm

Good luck on your recovery Joe! Thank you so much for the great informational resource, and community you have started in motion. I hope rehab goes well, and you can get back on the trail before too long!

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 29 2017 1:27 pm

Give 'em hell in rehab, Joe! We will look forward to your reappearance at the helm of HAZ, and on the trails.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

writelots
Wendipelli

Post by writelots » Jun 29 2017 2:06 pm

I'm sending positive thoughts your way and thanking you with every step I take. You've inspired a whole community for positive change, and that makes you one of the best kind of people in my book!
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

Paintninaz
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Paintninaz » Jun 29 2017 2:29 pm

I'm glad you're on the mend, you had a lot of us scared...don't ever do that again, young man! ;)

Wishing you a speedy, and full, recovery, Joe! The trails will be waiting for you! :D
Paintninaz

Steph_and_Blake
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by Steph_and_Blake » Jun 29 2017 3:32 pm

Joe,

I just learned of your accident and am so glad to hear that you are back on the mend. We wish you a full recovery and a continued hiking career. Thanks for all you do for HAZ.
Stephanie and Blake Barnard

ssk44
Explorerkopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ssk44 » Jun 29 2017 4:45 pm

Hey Joe. I'm really glad to hear that you're recovering. Reading about your accident was humbling. Keep fighting Joe. You'll get there.

Eric
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30

syoung
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by syoung » Jun 29 2017 6:30 pm

Really happy and glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery!

KwaiChang
GC Bound
City, State: Rochester, NY

Post by KwaiChang » Jun 29 2017 6:47 pm

Joe - so glad this is open -I hope you are too! :y:

You and I had a rocky start with the GPS deal and what not. :scared: I have read MANY MANY a post here - not replied to them but read many. Between you and Chums I have come to think there is no other site that offers what HAZ does. You WILL get better - think of that waaaaaaaaay down look whilst climbing up Cheops Plateau and things seem better no??? :scared: :o :lol: Of course they do!!! :y:

Wishing you alllll the best - my hope is to get my butt out west and hike with you! Sooner rather than later! :pray:

Stay well my brother - do the things yo have to do and honestly when I read of this at first I though - oh it is Joe - he will be fine. Be well - you have MANY peeps behind you brother! :app: :app:

Both you and your baby (HAZ) rock!!! : rambo :

Kwai
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....

fotogirl53
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by fotogirl53 » Jun 29 2017 9:52 pm

Hi, Joe
I hope your rehab is helping and knowing the excellent shape you are in, you will amAZe the staff with your stamina and drive. If you need anything, just put a shout out and we will all be busting down the doors to help you.

I'm kinda spooked now knowing where you were injured--I hike there at least once a month. When you are past this, I'd like to know more about it. I'm sending positive energy your way.
Allergic to cities.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jun 29 2017 11:46 pm

Hey Joe. So glad to hear you are doing so well! Know that you are in my thoughts daily, and I hope to see you soon. A few have already mentioned their Sentiments about how you and HAZ have impacted their Lives, and you already know my Story, but let me tell you again how Grateful I am for you, your Site, and most importantly, your Friendship.

When you're ready to start hitting up a bit of Hiking, you know where to find me. And no Fair trying to Dethrone me as the slowest Hiker on HAZ either, I won't stand for it. I'll be the Perfect Motivator when you start up again, lol

Work hard, sweat harder and try to not drive the Nurses crazy with your Insane Songs. Take care my Friend and I'll talk to you soon.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Norb
Silent Kokopelli

Post by Norb » Jun 30 2017 8:40 am

Joe, I'm so glad to hear that you're recovering and that you're getting therapy in rehab! Best wishes!

cw50must
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by cw50must » Jun 30 2017 4:11 pm

Get well soon!

Grimey
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Grimey » Jul 01 2017 6:01 am

Hey Joe, I was shocked and saddened to hear about your accident. Glad to see you are getting better. Get well quickly!

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » Jul 01 2017 2:46 pm

Get well soon and to a speedy recovery and really, it's hot out there, so you're not missing much. I know you have a lot on your mind so don't worry I'm not going to do anything weird on the forum. My best to you and your family.
Alston aka スパイシーな猫 (Spicy Cat), Tiny Dancer and my favorite Tweet Boogie.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

david_allen_3
Mysticapelli

Post by david_allen_3 » Jul 01 2017 4:01 pm

Wish I had a view of Piestewa Peak! Hang in there. Good seeing you on the Ma Ha Trail on S Mtn a couple years ago. Hope to see you out on the trails again soon!
Wherever you go there you are.

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Jul 02 2017 5:52 am

If you were to go hiking next weekend, that would be my best chance of keeping up with you :o Wishing for a speedy recovery and out-running me again on the trails.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

oldandsteady
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilberrt, AZ

Post by oldandsteady » Jul 02 2017 9:37 am

Get well soon!!

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”