Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
HAZDevTeam
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Joe Bartels hiking injury

Post by HAZDevTeam » Jun 13 2017 5:30 am

Edit: Putting the link to fundraising at the top of the thread:
https://hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10154

On Saturday June 10 while hiking in northern Arizona, Joe fell from a rock outcropping along the trail.

He sustained serious injuries and was airlifted to Flagstaff Medical Center before being transferred to Phoenix.

Joe is currently in serious but stable condition undergoing treatment for numerous broken bones and internal injuries.

There are many questions for which we do not currently have answers. We will post further details on his condition and recovery when doctors are able to provide them.

We know that HAZ is a close-knit community and appreciate the many thoughts and prayers from those of you who have made this website such a valuable resource in Arizona and beyond.

At this time Joe’s family has asked for privacy. Contact from well-wishers is appreciated but overwhelming. Please refrain at this time.

Joe was hiking with HAZ members who assisted with his care until first responders arrived on scene. Other hikers in the same area at the time provided important help. We are very grateful for all those who participated in his rescue. This has been a difficult several days for those involved, so we ask you to not inundate them with messages or questions.

Now, a few notes about the website.
Please don’t PM Joe at this time. He does not have access to HAZ in the hospital.

Technical issues may still be reported using the regular reporting buttons at the bottom of each page. Note that responses to these inquiries will take longer than usual.

This thread is locked because we would prefer not to have a thread full of comments, well-wishes, or discussion at this time. Please do not start a new thread or comment elsewhere on the site. We will provide an avenue for this in the coming days.

If you have urgent questions you may PM @HAZDevTeam but a response is not guaranteed and/or may take some time.

We will post updates here on the HAZ Forum in the days ahead.
We may also utilize the HikeArizona.COM Facebook page to post updates and information:

Thank you for your thoughts and support, patience and understanding at this challenging time and join us in wishing Joe a full and speedy recovery.

skatchkins
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Joe Bartels hiking injury

Post by skatchkins » Jul 02 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks for helping us find the adventures out there and igniting the adventure in us. I pray the recovery goes smoothly.
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

ddgrunning
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ddgrunning » Jul 02 2017 10:28 pm

Joe, We haven't met in person, but I feel I've gotten to know a fair bit about you "virtually" through the site. Love your humorous spirit, incessantly positive and upbeat attitude, and unbridled admiration and appreciation for the great outdoors. I expect all of those attributes to will you towards a speedy and full recovery.

You've nurtured an outstanding resource and a great community here on HAZ, and are entitled to some good karma! I join with the rest of HAZ in wishing you godspeed in your recovery and a bright future ahead.

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Jul 03 2017 8:54 am

Glad to hear your recovery is coming along! We all know you're as resilient as hell and will come out stronger than ever
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

rvcarter
City, State: tucson, az

Post by rvcarter » Jul 04 2017 8:00 am

Joe, wish you the best recovery possible. We miss you at the helm of HAZ, but take the time you need before you get back in the game. We've never met, but I always appreciate your help at getting me out of messes when posting. You've got the perfect attitude and demeanor for running a successful business, in this case HAZ. Hope you can get down to Tucson sometime for a hike.

Roy
Check out my Instagram posts at "cartershift", and my Youtubes at my channel "roy v carter".

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jul 04 2017 11:32 am

I talked to Joe just a bit ago... I was going to go visit, but it turns out he's flying the Coop today. I'm sure he'll be glad to be Home and it seems fitting that he'll be there today. Happy Independence Day Buddy and I'll see you next Month one way or another.... 8)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

BobP

Post by BobP » Jul 04 2017 12:55 pm

I just left the re-hab and Joe has either left or is leaving shortly. He appreciates all the well wishes here and cards sent to his po box. I've read most of the messages to him and he responded to all in only a way Joe can. He has recovered fast but still has a ways to go with a few issues. Joe is a fighter and will work as hard as he can. Please keep the messages coming and keep Joe in your prayers.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jul 04 2017 3:46 pm

Congratulations Joe as you are now a member of the survivors club. Welcome aboard and we hope you will not have any complications as a result of your fall and operations. Please remember that it is really not necessary to climb every rocky hilltop that you may pass by on future hikes. :doh: :-k
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 04 2017 8:03 pm

outdoor_lover wrote:I was going to go visit, but it turns out he's flying the Coop today.
That's great! I hope he enjoys whatever therapy comes next. My PT visits were the most inspirational and highest-benefit workouts I ever had.

SkyIslandHiker
City, State: Sahuarita&ShowLow AZ

Post by SkyIslandHiker » Jul 04 2017 8:40 pm

From the summit log on Mt. Wrightson:

[ photo ]

imike
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Jul 05 2017 8:55 am

Dang... Hoping for your complete recovery, which will be an adventure unto itself. Get Well!
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

ASUAviator

Post by ASUAviator » Jul 05 2017 6:04 pm

Sorry about the accident Joe :( I'm sure it will have its setbacks. However, I have no doubt there will be more epic bushwhacks going in the archives in the future. Hope the mend goes smoothly!

-TruckQuadChickapelli

Digital_Sherpa
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Digital_Sherpa » Jul 06 2017 9:36 am

Very sorry to hear about this Joe, but it sounds like you're making great progress and on the road to recovery. It's going to take time, so break out all those back issues of Backpacker magazine.

P.S. Blink twice if you were pushed off that cliff... :D

outdoor_lover

Post by outdoor_lover » Jul 06 2017 10:27 am

Btw, nice little Addition to your Profile Pic Joe.... That is just so wrong.... :sweat:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Jul 06 2017 3:48 pm

Glad to hear you are getting to go home!! Hoping you have a speedy recovery .... sending you good thoughts to help you along!
Dawn
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Bradshaws

Post by Bradshaws » Jul 06 2017 9:22 pm

I've been away from the website for quite a while, I'm so sorry to hear of your injuries but I couldn't be happier to here that you're doing well. You've given me so much through this website and its corresponding community, I feel like I know you but unfortunately we've never met. I hope nothing but the best for you and your family. I can't offer much but I do have the ability to repair cars and if my underwhelming ability can benefit you, I am at your disposal :-s :D Get well, good Sir!
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jul 06 2017 10:40 pm

a few words can not begin to express my gratitude for all the great members of HAZ that have been there when i needed them most

as many know i have a low tolerance for nonsense when folks seek help or share adventures
on the same token i'm rather awnry, live for laughter and have a deep family trait of never giving up and only accepting the best

more on that in a site clarification I plan to roll out when i'm back to snub dubbed HAZ Values which will explain how i was raised and why I created HAZ

ICU was great, they called me the wild child :lol:

out of all the positives i cherish my physical trainer Allison the most
Friends, family and neurosurgeons tried to convince me i'd be okay
It just didn't resonate until Allison yelled out in the stairwell as I ascended floor after floor
"JOE slow down, you are wearing me out" :y:
I knew at that split second everything would be okay
naturally I asked Allison to find something more challenging and she delivered in spades
my balance test the next day had my quads screaming and sweat rolling down my face again
t'was the greatest challenge in my life followed by the sweetest reward ( Allison cleared me for independent mobility )
i kept my fall risk bracelet as a reminder to the dark lonely weeks of not being allowed to stand without alarms and swarms of nurses intercepting my mobility

viva la HAZ, thx to the great community that is helping me through this journey!
I am back on HAZ where I belong. It's no secret I have a lot of healing and work on the horizon.
The best help for me now would be for all to get along, welcome new members and politely guide those that need help using the site ( private messaging is the ticket, public corrections have no place in this wonderful community )

- teva joe
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jul 07 2017 5:38 am

joebartels wrote:- teva joe
Be it tevva or teeva, it's good to have you back!
Take care!
CannondaleKid

chulavista
City, State: Little Running Water

Post by chulavista » Jul 07 2017 6:32 am

CannondaleKid wrote: it's good to have you back!
What he said!! Welcome back Joe!
You will never succeed if you don't try.
http://www.kathysieloff.com

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Jul 07 2017 6:43 am

Bravo Joe, Bravo!
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Jul 07 2017 8:03 am

joebartels wrote:this wonderful community
That's it exactly, thanks to you Joe. Onward and upward!

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”