Personal Topics :: Less Hiking/Outdoors/etc

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Billy
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Back in school.

Post by Billy »

Back in school and loving it! I have been out of school for a few months trying to repair a broken relationship, and to also spend time with my boys while they were out of school. Well, I went back to school tonight, all my old classmates were happy to see me, it felt real good. My oldest son is back home from a summer of traveling, I picked him up from the airport this afternoon, now my heart is at peace, all my children are home.

I share all this with you, because all of you are so special to me, I am glad we have each other to communicate with, because sometimes, you are my only friends, and the only people I can talk to and relate with, thank you.

How many of you are going to school, and for what reasons? Do you enjoy school? What do you plan on doing when you complete your schooling? And..................I almost forgot...........................
Is anyone up for a hike? :D I have some freedom now, my oldest is home!

I think I'll do something challenging and fun, early Thursday morning....and ......I can go running again! :D :D
Sorry for all the excitement, but I have been trapped at home for far too long.
Let's go hiking!
Rodney
City, State: Indian-a

Post by Rodney »

Sounds like all your ducks are pretty much in a row! As a father, I can relate to the feeling that creates! :D
Billy

Post by Billy »

Yes Rodney, it was an uneasy feeling having a child so far from home, not knowing where he was (at times), or how he was. Going to bed at night was the hardest, locking up the house, kissing each one of my children as they sleep, then entering the empty room of my oldest, and feeling the emptiness in my heart. My goodness, I don't know what I will do when my oldest leaves home, oh well, I just feel blessed that I have him now, and I am going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts.
Let's go hiking!
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

My son is in Kentucky and my daughter is in Alaska. I do feel like a duck out of water sometimes...but, then again, that might be a normal feeling for a lot of ducks that live in Arizona! :lol:
AZ_Hiker
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by AZ_Hiker »

ROCK ON..
AZ Hiker
Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean there not after you!
azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 »

Hi Billy, I've been taking some classes at MCC this summer. I'm also signed up for the fall semester. The goal is to get into an nursing program, get an RN degree, and change careers. I'm enjoying school so far. I'm still looking for work but make use of my spare time by catching a few hikes here and there. On Friday I'm heading up to Oregon to spend some time with one of my brothers. We'll do some yoga, kayaking, and of course hiking. It'll be 9 days to de-stress.
Glad your oldest made it back home. How long is he going to be here? I always enjoy seeing my kids, it's just rare these days since they live in Nebraska with my ex. Oh well, I spent a week with them earlier this summer and we had a great time.
JimmineyGrl
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Back in school.

Post by JimmineyGrl »

I understand how you feel about being away from your children. My little boy (just under 4 at the time) went on vacation with his father last summer for two weeks and by the second week it was almost unbearable! (of course it doesn't help that I am not completely ok with my ex husband's caretaking skills)

For me, school starts at the end of August and I am ready!! I love school because I love learning and it's the better part of my social life. I am a little over halfway through my B.S. in Computer Information Systems at ASU.
Billy

Post by Billy »

JimmineyGrl
I went through years of having to send away my now almost 16 year old, every summer to his Dad in NY, and it is always so hard, but as long as Dad's want to be a part of their childrens lives, we are doing the right thing.

Good luck with your schooling, Computer Information Systems, I could never fall in love with that, but I sure am glad there are people who do. Keep up with school, I am really into my schooling too, I just love it. I am working on a B. S. in Marketing at the U of P.

azhiker96
My oldest lives with me, in fact, this is the first time in two years he has even expressed a desire to go and see his Dad, he had a good time, but he was more than ready to come home. Yes! I get to love on him just a little bit longer, I am so happy. I hate to hear when families break up, because it hurts the children, it's not what was meant for a family, they are meant to stay together. Families break up all too frequently, and although these things happen (not saying that it's right that families break up, it's not), it's important (as long as there is an interest), that both parties get shared time with the children, and communicate and make joint decisions over major things in the childs life. Oh how I wish life were perfect.

I think it's great you are getting a "9 days to de-stress" period with your brother, have fun! It's wonderful that you are taking the time to change careers, you go for it, get that RN degree!

AZ_Hiker
Thanks for the encouraging "Rock On" :lol:

Rodney
Alaska? Kentucky? why do they have to move away? :( I want mine to stay close, I know......I can't hold on to them forever :wink:
Let's go hiking!
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Billy wrote:Rodney
Alaska? Kentucky? why do they have to move away? :( I want mine to stay close, I know......I can't hold on to them forever :wink:
Well...actually, I moved here from KY. Both of my kids, 22 & 20, came out and my son decided to go back. My daughter stayed here. She is just visiting in Alaska right now...but, will probably move there later. Though I would miss her and my 6 month old grandson, I believe Alaska to be a much safer place than Phoenix...if you know what I mean.
hikngrl
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hikngrl »

My baby girl ( 18 years old) is moving away to college in a few weeks. She is the last at home and I am gong to suffer like you would not believe!Though I rarely see her even now due to the fact that she works and has a boyfriend who gets her far more than I do, I know I am going to long for our days of laughter and teasing. She is indeed my best girl friend and I am not sure how life will progress with out her at this point! Hold on to them and snuggle them while you an cause those days will end befroe you know it!
As for a hike, I am open Friday if you are interested... sorry, I don't run, bad knees! Besides I despise running!
olesma

Post by olesma »

All my kids are at home - but then, I only have the one boy of 3 and an as yet unborn girl. So I can't necessarily relate to them being "gone" - although if we leave for a weekend and have the grandparents babysit it is kind of unusual to not have the boy around.

School - don't get me going. I'm trying for my Phd in Educational Psychology right now. I have been in school all my life minus a brief 2 year stint in Brazil. I will have my Phd in 3 years, then probably get a masters in statistics, them I still want to get an MBA at some point and another degree (probably masters) in Computer Science. (oh yea, and I do all this while working full time - my wife is a stay at home mom)

My wife thinks I'm nuts. But I love to learn stuff - so why not just keep doing it?

I also have another plan. I am not terribly good at math, so when my kids start doing math that gets too difficult for my current skills - I am thinking I may try and get a degree (probably just an undergraduate degree) in Math so I can help them out.

I think my biggest thing is that if I meet a subject that is kind of difficult for me, I want to beat it into submission and learn all I can about it.

Competitive learning. (did anyone ever notice my intensely competitive streak?)
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein
Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl »

You don't like math and you want a statistics degree :o ! Statistics is all math, and pretty advanced math at that. I went through a few classes in it while getting my degree. You'd have to be a masochist to want to get a masters in it. It's good stuff to know though, people think you're real smart when you start talking it and you'll win more/lose less when you go to vegas.

I keep thinking of going back for a masters, but I haven't figured out in what yet. I'm not sure of what I want to be when I grow up yet.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”
JimmineyGrl
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JimmineyGrl »

olesma wrote:(oh yea, and I do all this while working full time - my wife is a stay at home mom).
I need a stay a home man! I find it very difficult to do the cooking and cleaning and nurturing and the working 50 hours per week during the school semester but somehow I manage.

I also intend on pursuing multiple degrees. I wish I could be a professional student!

:lol: !! Off the subject - spell check offered neutering as a replacement for nurturing!! :lol: (nurturing misspelled)
Billy

Post by Billy »

Daryl said: You don't like math and you want a statistics degree!

That was exactly my thought when I read olesma's post saying he would probably be getting a masters in statistics; he must be crazy! :lol:

I love going to school too olesma, too bad we can't get paid for it, maybe some day huh?

Daryl, I understand, it's hard to know what you want to do sometimes, my Mom did that, kept going back to school, getting into other things, she went to school for a major portion of her life, never obtaining a degree. Mom sure does know a lot about a lot :lol:, she does a little bit of everything, and can't seem to commit to any type of career for very long, what's in a degree? who knows........but I do know, experience speaks volumes.

JimmineyGrl said: I also intend on pursuing multiple degrees. I wish I could be a professional student!

Exactly!!! that's what I say too, professional student sounds great, we just need to find someone willing to pay us to do what we love to do.........learn :D
Let's go hiking!
Billy

Post by Billy »

dcorneliusI would love to go hiking with you tomorrow, but I am afraid now that my son is home, everyone wants to see him, so I am booked up with family and friends this week, this weekend I am going to send time with my boys before school starts. PM me when you get your next day off, and a little advanced notice would be helpful. I would love to go out hiking with you, just let me know, sorry I can't make it tomorrow, I would have liked that. I always think I am going to have more time than I actually have to do things. :roll:
Let's go hiking!
Marlee
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by Marlee »

Congrats Billy - I'm so happy for you. You got it together girl!

I have a B.S. in Industrial Engineering from U of A, and M.B.A in Technology Management from U of Phx, and I work as a Manufacturing Engineer making that overpriced hardware for the Pentagon, as our friendly Philly beer columist termed it!

There has been alot of talk about math on this Post - a good time to tell you I tutor math - (MwM - Math with Marlee) - out of my house. I did it part time in Tucson and moved up here to do it full-time, but got sucked into that govt extortion business again. I tutored math in evenings and weekends in Tucson (and love it!), but do not have students here yet.

Although I have no human little ones as everyone on here talks about, Bailey (my doberman pinscher) and I do have a new addition to the family - a little kitten, Barnum. They get along great, sleep and play together all day, and hardly leave each other's side.

I'm up for a hike Sat. or Sun. morning.
Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl »

Become a professor, in many cases they are basically professional students teaching what they are researching. Colleges are hurting for proffesors in the technical classes like statistics, calculus, thermaldynamics, physics... Of course you'd have to find a topic that you loved, because thats about all you'd do the rest of your life.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”
Billy

Post by Billy »

Becoming a professor is a good idea Daryl, or even teaching a class or two in the evenings to bring in a second income would be a great idea. Olesma, don't get any ideas, your wife would kill me if you started taking on anymore, how many balls can you juggle anyhow? You are good to do all that you do, and so is your support system, that wife of yours is a gem.

Marlee is a MATH TUTOR! Did everyone read that! Keep her in mind, it's always good to know someone who tutors in math.

Marlee, congrats on the new addition to the family, your little kitten, Barnum. I think us HAZ's would enjoy seeing a picture in your personal gallery of the newest addition to your family :wink:
Let's go hiking!
hikngrl
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hikngrl »

That's fine Billy don't worry about it. I am always looking for a hiking partner I am sure I will post many more times in need of a partner. Any time you can go just jump in there and say something! I am always open to be asked, just don't get offended and give up on me if I have to tell ypu no because of my schedule!
Billy

Post by Billy »

Sounds good to me, I'll pin you down when I'm able to get out, I am so anxious to get out. I did get up to Browns peak over the weekend with my little men ages 6 and 4, they made it all the way to the summit; such big men they are :lol: They were my protectors, keeping me safe from all the bears, snakes, and other critters. With their little bare chests puffed out, they walked ahead, and cleared the path for Mom; so cute, I'll have to post the pictures I took of them.
Let's go hiking!

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”