Personal Topics :: Less Hiking/Outdoors/etc

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Billy
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Back in school.

Post by Billy »

Back in school and loving it! I have been out of school for a few months trying to repair a broken relationship, and to also spend time with my boys while they were out of school. Well, I went back to school tonight, all my old classmates were happy to see me, it felt real good. My oldest son is back home from a summer of traveling, I picked him up from the airport this afternoon, now my heart is at peace, all my children are home.

I share all this with you, because all of you are so special to me, I am glad we have each other to communicate with, because sometimes, you are my only friends, and the only people I can talk to and relate with, thank you.

How many of you are going to school, and for what reasons? Do you enjoy school? What do you plan on doing when you complete your schooling? And..................I almost forgot...........................
Is anyone up for a hike? :D I have some freedom now, my oldest is home!

I think I'll do something challenging and fun, early Thursday morning....and ......I can go running again! :D :D
Sorry for all the excitement, but I have been trapped at home for far too long.
Let's go hiking!
Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl »

Marlee wrote:I have a B.S. in Industrial Engineering from U of A, and M.B.A in Technology Management from U of Phx, and I work as a Manufacturing Engineer making that overpriced hardware for the Pentagon, as our friendly Philly beer columist termed it!
Wow, small world. My BS is in Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering (from U of Wisconsin), I'm a Quality (and often Manufacturing/Industrial/Tooling) Engineer at a manufacturer of overpriced hardware for the pentagon.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”
JimmineyGrl
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JimmineyGrl »

Daryl wrote:Become a professor, in many cases they are basically professional students teaching what they are researching.
This is something I plan on doing later in life. My plan is 20's = corporate world & get BS; 30's = start small business & get masters and more; 40's = teach and write at least one book; 50's or 60's = retire and run a B&B on the beach or in the mountains. All subject to change of course :)

I'm taking Calculus this semester. I am confident in my math skills but I will probably have to brush up.
Billy

Post by Billy »

That's awesomeJimmineyGrl, great goals for your future; the only way to make things happen, is to have goals, short range, middle range, and long range, with a plan, sounds like you've got all your bases covered. You will go far, stick with it.
Let's go hiking!
olesma

Post by olesma »

Daryl wrote:You'd have to be a masochist to want to get a masters in it.
Yep - I already took several advanced statistics classes that were required for my Phd - I didn't do so well. That is why I want a masters in it. I want to beat it into submission.
Billy wrote:too bad we can't get paid for it, maybe some day huh?
Actually - Bank of America pays for all my tuition, and next year I will be doing some teaching and earning an extra $3 gr per semester.

Not a bad deal for a part time student.
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein
JimmineyGrl

Post by JimmineyGrl »

In response to olesma's reply:

My company pays tuition too, which I am very grateful for! I just wish I was with them when I incurred the first half of my student loans
olesma

Post by olesma »

JimmineyGrl wrote:I just wish I was with them when I incurred the first half of my student loans
I'm in to the tune of $60 gr right now. All incurred while I was a music student at ASU (full time) - now I'm married and wishing I had the spare $550/month to pay the darned thing off.

That is one of the reasons why I keep going to school. The loans are still deferred and only some of it is racking up interest.

Might as well rack up as many degrees as I can while the getting is good.

BTW JimmeneyGrl - are you at ASU? And what is your major?
Billy

Post by Billy »

I'm incurring all of my student loans, no help for me, but fortunately, or unfortunately, I am so poor, almost half my tuition is picked up each year. You men who are divorced and paying child support may not like the sound of this... but I'm basically surviving off of my children's child support monies, and the rest of my families expenses are picked up by my earnings from cleaning houses.

So everyone incurring those student loans, I ask you, is it worth it? Will the debt out weigh the benefits?
Let's go hiking!
olesma

Post by olesma »

Billy wrote:So everyone incurring those student loans, I ask you, is it worth it? Will the debt out weigh the benefits?
Depends on how much you incur and what you incur it for.

If you are taking out student loans thinking it will be a cheap way to pay for a vacation or a car (I'm not saying you are doing that - but I know people who have done exactly that) then - no - it isn't worth it.

If you are taking out the loans to pay tuition/books/living expenses - well, you don't have much of a choice and - yes - it is worth it.

However, there are caveats involved. If you rack up too much debt in pursuit of a degree that will have minimal returns, well, then you could easily be hosing yourself. (BTW - if you rack up $50gr or less that is considered low - over $70 is moderate and over $100 is high - but usually only doctors and lawers rack up bills like that)

I can give you this advice though - go to the library and look for a book on tuition and grants. As a single mom there are literally hundreds of grants and scholarships available to you. You will have to do some footwork and apply to a whole bunch to get a few returns - but it is well worth your time. I applied to anything and everything I even remotely qualified for (sent out 68 applications if memory serves) - but I got back a couple thousand dollars in tuitions and grants. I'm just a middle-class white boy so not much in there was for me - but as I went through I did notice that if you are A) a female or B) an ethnic minority - there are grants all over the place. Trust me. If you are willing to put in the work I'll bet you don't have to scrouge any more money for tuition for as long as you're in school, and probably get a nice little piece of change for living expenses as well.

Student loans are not the only way to go - you just have to do some work to get other sources of funds flowing.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I recently graduated (this past May) from the U of A with a B.A. in psychology. I have started working as a caseworker for people w/ serious mental illnesses. My company does tuition reimbursement so I will likely return for a Masters in counseling soon. But I want a few years off first! 16 years of school straight through is a real grind :pois:
"Of course we weren't lost. We were merely where we shouldn't have been, without knowing exactly where that was."
mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert »

I just registered at asu today. I think that student loans are a crock. I am financially independant from my parents but the gov't (the ones giving the loans) thinks that my parents should be responsible for paying all my tuition, books, living expenses etc... They offered me 5,500 for the entire year. This at 8.25% interest after I graduate. WHAT? I said. I might as well go to a bank and apply for a loan, my credit card interest rates aren't even 8.25%. I'm a dedicated student so I'll find a way to get through, but c'mon, its called finacial assistance because they're supposed to help you get through school, frankly I don't see much help comming my way... 5,500 is just barely enought to pay tuition for the next two semesters. Now, I'm not opposed to getting a job to help pay for it but in order to qualify for the kind of aid I need I have to be a full time student. As a full time student it is very difficult to get a job that offers enough hours to make rent/insurance/utility/etc.

Naturally the girl at the help desk was no help at all (they really should re-name that desk). Nothing I can do unless I join the military or get married, or have some kids and even then they can't help me until next year. If anyone understands why I am still considered dependant (despite the fact that they DO recognize my FINANCIAL independance) feel free to enlighten me. Sorry to bore you all with my endless griping, but they really ticked me off this morning.

Unfortunately I don't qualify for grants or scholorships because my parents make too much money. Not that I see any of that money.

Finacial aid my a$$
hikngrl
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hikngrl »

In response to matt gilbert's reply:
I understand your frustration! We are a lower middle class family with four kids all with in college age. Only two are going to college and we want to help as much as possible but because we have four can not offer to pay for school it's self.... We can not afford to take out the parent loans for my dtr cause we can't afford to have that on our books so at 18 she has taken out her first student loan and is now in debt.

The student loan was miniscule due to the fact that "her parents make to much money" and should be able to pay for her college! The people who decide this surely don't take into consideration that a couple with four kids all college age can not possible afford to pay for all four if they decide they want to go, there for can't offer to pay for one and not the other! We also have a life to lead and live pay check to pay check with very little savings and no portfolio to live on as we get old!

I feel guilty every time I talk to my dtr and son about how much help we can offer them with school. I would give anything to be able to afford to pay it all for them but just can't.

It is so sad that education is so unattainable at times.... or at least made to seem that way. I just this year payed of my student loans from my school I started when I was 32 years old!
Last edited by hikngrl on Aug 08 2003 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmangum

Post by jmangum »

All this talk about school reminds me that today is the last day of Summer school at ASU and I have a paper to turn in by 5:00pm today.

20+ pages on outdoor recreation programs for adolescents. It's been really interesting to research.
"You know, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't work."
-Calvin
olesma

Post by olesma »

Now you all are really going to think I'm sick - but I LOVE writing papers. Especially good, long, research papers. I live for that stuff.

I also live for putting it off till the last possible minute then doing an all weekend writing/researching binge.

I'm being totally serious here.

I need help.
hikngrl

Post by hikngrl »

That's the way my dtr always writes her papers and she always gets great grades on them! It is effective for some people.
jmangum

Post by jmangum »

You are sick! :pois:
I love the feeling of having completed a big, long research paper, but the process drives me crazy. I have to admit though - writing papers for my masters is a lot more enjoyable than those for my B.A. - For example I've really enjoyed researching this most recent one. I think loving what you are studying makes a big difference.
-Calvin
jmangum

Post by jmangum »

olesma wrote:I also live for putting it off till the last possible minute then doing an all weekend writing/researching binge.
I am also guilty of this - not becuase I love it, but because I'm usualy procrastinating until the last minute. (If I'm lucky I'm out on the trail until the last minute.)

Last semester I took a trip to Havasupai the week before finals when I should have been studying.

(Olesma - you were you were on the brink of ditching your studies and coming on that trip too, remember?)
-Calvin
CindyC

Post by CindyC »

I'm getting a little dizzy reading all this. My youngest is 12 and the only one left in Jr. High. I have one in college and one who dropped out of college much to my dismay, to work fulltime on his business. I have 2 entering college next year. Since it will be 4 more years until the next one starts I figure with any luck it will be my turn in 2 years.
Last edited by CindyC on Aug 08 2003 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'Achievement lies within the reach of those who reach beyond themselves'
JimmineyGrl

Post by JimmineyGrl »

matt gilbert wrote:parents should be responsible for paying all my tuition, books, living expenses etc...
I dealt with the same issue when I first applied to ASU at age 18. My dad made too much money fro me to qualify for anything and I wasn't seeing any of that money. Then I got married (and divorced) so I don't have to deal with that anymore. I think they consider you a dependant until you're 23 or 24.

Olesma - I'm at ASU and my degree is in Computer Information Systems. This semester, I'll be at ASU West then I will be at Main. I apply for the the professional program in January. (I completed the first half of my degree at DeVry)

Off the subject again - I'm really getting a kick out of spell check - it offered a$$ for ASU. :lol:
JimmineyGrl

Post by JimmineyGrl »

olesma wrote:but I LOVE writing papers
I love writing research papers too! As long as it's a topic I enjoy. (So far in college, I haven't had a topic I didn't enjoy)
mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert »

I'm a philosophy major, so writing papers is the name of the game for me. People are shocked when I tell them I haven't had to take a test in years, just write paper after paper after paper. Fortunately they are the best kind to write. I'm not a fan of the research papers though. I like being able to spout off in whatever direction I see fit at the time (as some of you are already aware).

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”