Personal Topics :: Less Hiking/Outdoors/etc

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

HAZ Jeep Posse

Post by Daryl » Aug 04 2003 11:22 am

I notice a lot of folks here have jeeps. We should start the HAZ Jeep Posse.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

bryanmertz
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by bryanmertz » Aug 07 2003 12:54 pm

I don't have a jeep, but I am a great co-pilot. I see we wrangle up some folk and do the Crown King trail.

Bryan

ADGibson

Post by ADGibson » Aug 07 2003 8:26 pm

I have a '93 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. Does that count?

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Aug 07 2003 8:44 pm

I have a couple cherokee emlems lying around we could just glue those to your quarter panels.

CindyC

Post by CindyC » Aug 08 2003 6:13 pm

bryanmertz wrote:I don't have a jeep, but I am a great co-pilot. I see we wrangle up some folk and do the Crown King trail.

Bryan
In this family we have a 1960 Willy's CJ, a 1978 Wagoneer, and a 1990 Cherokee. Good idea Bryan, but the Crown King trail isn't all it's cracked up to be. Any other trail and I'm game.
'Achievement lies within the reach of those who reach beyond themselves'

Snick33
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Snick33 » Aug 08 2003 8:49 pm

Any trail is fine with me as long as it involves terrorizing townfolk, fast women, sunglasses, and putting some kinda decal on my window with a kid peeing on something or another, it really doesn't matter what.
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

Greg Jackson
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Greg Jackson » Aug 08 2003 9:55 pm

the Crown King trail isn't all it's cracked up to be. Any other trail and I'm game
How about thinking about some of us with stock Toyotas.
Dog is my co-pilot.

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Aug 08 2003 10:34 pm

I've got a book with a ton of 4x4 trails, I'll look through it for a moderate ground clearance trail, maybe with some offshoots for those of us with lifted or modified trucks/jeeps. There are some really nice areas in the goldfield mountains that are set aside specifically for four wheeling, you need to get a permit, but its free, and the permits keep a lot of people out of the area.

bzachar
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by bzachar » Aug 08 2003 11:52 pm

In response to Greg Jackson's reply:

I'd suggest something relatively easy for novices as one person's Heaven is another's Hell. Case in point: Some folks feel the road to Four Peaks is a nightmare, for others it's kid stuff.

I've been on trips with 4-Runners and if they don't have limited-slip or the driver doesn't have good technique they can struggle getting up hills.

The trip to Martinez Canyon (southeast of Florence Junction) is relatively easy, great views, you can park inside the canyon at the old camp and hike farther in to some pretty nice scenery and the ruins of the old mine.

A trip within the group's skill level is key. At the end of the day you want everybody to have had a good time, not say,"I'll never do that again!"

Bill
Grand Cherokee
V8, Quadra Drive, Up-Country Suspension

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Aug 09 2003 5:36 pm

Or How are going to fix that out here ? I did not go to the prom in a jeep I rode a Schwinn Collegiate five speed. I was in the 1991 Fiesta Bowl parade with my 1988 Wrangler. Its military olive in color (Jeep calls it Khaki) and driving up to Central Ave. the police let me thru the barricade and I drove down and in front of the parade. I also have a 1987 M416A1 jeep trailer and my tent trailer is the same size. The Jeep folks need to bring back the rear lift tailgate instead of the swing tailgate.

ADGibson

Post by ADGibson » Aug 09 2003 5:38 pm

This is a great book for 4x4 peeps.

http://hikearizona.com/books.php?REV=1&ID=66

I love this book.

hoppy47m
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by hoppy47m » Aug 09 2003 6:04 pm

Yayyyyyy that sounds cool....I have an '87 YJ....lift kit.....350 camaro engine.....big mudder tires...(don't get too close behind me, throws stuff for a hundred yards).....
All Who Wander Are Not Lost, and I do walk to the beat of a different drummer.....'cause I lost my drum

CindyC

Post by CindyC » Aug 10 2003 7:39 am

In response to Greg Jackson's reply: Your right Greg, I'm sorry. The whole purpose of getting together is to have a good time. Guess I got ahead of myself. :oops:
'Achievement lies within the reach of those who reach beyond themselves'

ADGibson

Post by ADGibson » Aug 10 2003 8:12 am

That also depends on what we mean by "stock". If he has a stock 4Runner or Tacoma then he will be fine on most trails without a problem. Toyotas are amazing right out of the box with little modification other than some better tires.

hoppy47m

Post by hoppy47m » Aug 10 2003 9:18 am

I managed a score of 249, guess that was because I haven't bolted on my winch yet, if I just sat it in place would that count?.... I do a lot of those roads around fossil creek, the ones you see that go up to the top of the mountain, I can't resist the..."I wonder whats on the other side" thing......Usually there is a canyon (duh) and then it turns into..."hey.....I wonder what's down there"...of course.....another mountain....
I am going up to the Whitehorse lake area in a few minutes, I have some unexplored roads there I need to check out........just for the heck of it.....
Hey....if you want a good 4 wheel drive rig...I have a real nice '82 bronco for sale...great condition, lift kit, big tires,...alllllllll kinds of new stuff on it....and CHEAP...(I have 3 4wheel drive rigs, 2 cars and only enough room to park 3 of them) shoot me a letter if you are interested and I'll tell you about it....(am I gonna get in trouble for trying to sell this thing here? :?: )
All Who Wander Are Not Lost, and I do walk to the beat of a different drummer.....'cause I lost my drum

ADGibson

Post by ADGibson » Aug 10 2003 9:27 am

Put the write up in the HAZ Classifieds w/picture if you can. An 82 could be just what the doctor ordered.

hoppy47m

Post by hoppy47m » Aug 10 2003 9:37 am

I was going to do that....but I can't seem to locate the link........maybe I'm blind this morning :o ....It is a really good rig.....might even be into trading

ADGibson

Post by ADGibson » Aug 10 2003 9:40 am

(dead link removed)
there you go.

hoppy47m

Post by hoppy47m » Aug 10 2003 9:48 am

Thanks!!! I heading there now....

Snick33
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Snick33 » Aug 10 2003 3:16 pm

How about a nice cruise up Mount Peeley? It's about 8 miles, my stock Grand Cherokee makes it easily but it's beautiful and challenging. You start out in the desert and in up in a great stand of Ponderosa's. For the more hardcore, there is always side trips to make it more exciting. the road ends at a nice shady trailhead with a great view of the Mazatzals and parking for a dozen cars. It's only 70 miles from Phoenix off the Beeline, and it's never crowed.
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

Greg Jackson
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Greg Jackson » Aug 10 2003 4:19 pm

CindyC, DoFear kind of got it right... stock Tacoma TRD with mud TA's.

Kind of cool that you can buy a truck with a push-button rear locker straight from the dealer.

My biggest fear is inflicting more damage than I owe on the thing.

I also have an '84 Toy w/ dual Webber side drafts, off road only, sitting in my side yard. I need to put it up on the for sale board. But I'm kind of lazy...
Dog is my co-pilot.

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”