Personal Topics :: Less Hiking/Outdoors/etc

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Marc LaBelle
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Hiking with Dad at Thanksgiving

Post by Marc LaBelle » Nov 24 2003 2:11 pm

As I look back at the last few days/week, and some of the heated discussions that have popped up, along with some feelings being hurt, I think of why I started this hobby......My Dad.

When I was a little kid, my dad would take my brother and I up to New Hampshire to climb Mount Monadnock (the most climbed mountain in the world). We would also go trekking around in the wonderful New England fall weather. We would listen to him tell us about the simple, wonderful pleasures in life that can be found from any trail head. He let me know that the awesome scenes on any trail are "FREE" of charge. (except to park at some places). He planted the hiking seed in me.

The last few years, with Dad in Connecticut and myself in AZ., I would exchange my Sedona hiking stories for his barefoot Sierra club hiking stories. It has been about 6 years since Dad an I hiked together.

I am flying home (Connecticut) for Thanksgiving. My Dad asked me if I wanted to use the car to hang out with my old friends on the Saturday I will be there. I turned him down and issued a request of him......That we go hiking together. He is older now, but still has the eye for the more awe inspiring things in life, like a good hike. I will cherish every step we take on our hike. We choose to do one of the Lake Zoar hikes.

With the two of us so far apart we don't get to hike much anymore, but when we do, it is great. At 33 years old, and a self proclaimed Bad-@$$, I feel like a little kid following my Dad in the woods. There isn't a darn thing in the world that can or will phase me. For the last week and for the next few days I sit impatiently, like a kid on Christmas morning in front of the unwrapped gifts.

My point is this: My Dad will not be here that much longer. He is of good health, but just not a kid anymore. As long as I know that we can hike together, my world is perfect. He will never be taken for granted.

With that, I wish you all a Happy Turkey Day. On Thanksgiving I will be thankful that my Dad ever took me hiking.

woopitup
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by woopitup » Nov 24 2003 2:31 pm

Very nicely put! Best wishes to you and your dad this Turkey Day!

woopitup

mtoomeyaz
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by mtoomeyaz » Nov 24 2003 2:41 pm

Great point Marc. Your post inspires me to look within for the simple things for which I can be thankful. I encourage everyone to consider this exercise.
Mike T
-------------------------------------------------
Less is more

Rodney
City, State: Indian-a

Post by Rodney » Nov 24 2003 2:45 pm

Very nice thought Marc! I would love to be able to do the same...but, they tell me the planes aren't built to fly that high. :( Have a great trip of giving thanks and don't forget to bring back lots of pictures!

Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Nov 24 2003 3:54 pm

Thanks for sharing Marc. Be safe and post pic's of the hike.

sherileeaz

Happy Thanksgiving Marc

Post by sherileeaz » Nov 24 2003 5:46 pm

Sounds like a perfect Thanksgiving Marc.
Wishing you, your Dad and your family
a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Sherileeaz 8)
The value of life lies not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them.

Kenny
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Kenny » Nov 25 2003 11:16 am

Hey Mark,
Enjoy your trip & hike.

I too consider my self lucky, my dad took me (brother & 2 sisters also) all over the Sierra Nevada Mtns, from the time we were 5 till our late teens.
I miss those trips in a big way. Dad is still kickin, I took him up Tonto Narrows in August for his 75 th Birthday, we went up to the falls, he had a great time and will be back next year for more.

Pic attached: L to R my son, 1/2 sister, Dad, me.
And no 1/2 sister jokes.... she is all there :lol:

Kenny

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”