Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Adios Arizona

Post by JimmyLyding » Aug 21 2010 1:21 am

Some of you have have heard that I'm moving to the Bay Area next week for an unbelievable professional opportunity. I want to take this opportunity to thank those of you with whom I have had the sincere pleasure of enjoying the great outdoors in my home state of Arizona. I've enjoyed the company of 32 individual HikeArizona.com users, and I heartily thank all of you. I also want to thank those of you whom I've never had the opportunity to hike with, but have become people I care about thanks to the interactions we've enjoyed here.

I doubt that there are many of us who enjoy and utilize this site to further our own recreation, fulfillment, knowledge, and humility who would claim that it hasn't had a positive effect upon our lives. This site has certainly changed me from a casual hiker into someone who thinks about the endeavor each and every day. I am in no way able to fully express my gratitude for all that HikeArizona.com and its myriad users have given me.

I do want to expressly thank a few individuals for going above and beyond in terms of making me the hiking maniac that I am today.

I thank Chris, The Stillernator, for setting up so many Sunday hiking trips. I have met so many great people, and enjoyed so many adventures courtesy of his efforts. Chris comes up with cool hikes that attract eager hikers, and ALWAYS drives. I can't say the same for my efforts. I've hiked with him on the hikes he's set up including: Pine Canyon, Oak Springs-BC Rock Wall Canyon, Mazatzal Divide, Devil's Chasm, East Mountain in my favorite the Pinals, Mount Kimball, and South Fork - Gold Ridge in the Mazatzals.

I also want to thank Ron rdavisiii and Wally wallyfrack for getting me hooked on doing hikes set up via this site. I believe that Ron set up that hike to Humphrey's Peak that took place on the Fourth of July way back in 2007. I thought that I was going to die halfway up. It was a great time, and it was a pivotal moment that greatly helped propel me to the point where I am today. Those gentlemen showed me how cool it was to enjoy that type of meet-up hike, and I've never looked back.

However, the person I want to thank the most is Joe Bartels. I'm confident in writing that none of us would be here enjoying this site and our state's fine hiking opportunities as much as we do were it not for his efforts. I know that I'm not alone in thanking him for creating and fostering the community that is HikeArizona.com. As I'm moving to the Bay Area, I've been checking out hiking websites for that area. I keep thinking to myself, "this Cali site looks like it was created by a 6th-grader." Then I realize that it is not a reflection upon the Californian who put his/her time and effort into that site, but rather the exemplary job that Joe has done to create this site that we all enjoy and wrap our arms around. Folks, there ain't nothing better out there so enjoy the heck out of it. Please do whatever you can to make this site better so that the person who types into Google "Hike Arizona" will enjoy all that we enjoy courtesy of Joe B. Thank you from the bottom of my heart (and feet, and damn do they hurt after today's hike), Joe. I encourage all users to support this site however they can. Share your stories, GPS routes, knowledge, and whatever else one sees fit in order to further the cause that so many of us have bought into.

I'll still be on this site sharing my adventures in California so feel free to check them out. Anyone looking to hike in Northern California or seeking some advice can PM me, and I'll happily respond. I ain't going nowhere, folks, except to a new set of hiking adventures.
Again, Thank You Joe Bartels, and I hope none of you forget that!
-Jim Lyding

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Re: Adios Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Aug 21 2010 3:41 am

122 Photosets,182 Triplogs and 4,602 photo ratings to your credit Jim.
Thanks from all of us and best wishes to you!
:thanx:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Aug 21 2010 4:04 am

Hopefully your new job is the seed to a whole new prosperous life, make it happen. Look forward to the N-Cali postings in HAZ style!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Tortoise_Hiker
Genuinepelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Aug 21 2010 6:24 am

Hey Jim,
Good luck in Cali. The Apache Maid hike you did with us was one of my toughest. :o :scared: Look forward to your cali. hike posts! :D
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

skatchkins
D’Avy Crockettpelli

Post by skatchkins » Aug 21 2010 9:34 am

Good luck man.
Hug some trees out there for us poor desert folks.
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

hippiepunkpirate
Chameleon Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Aug 21 2010 9:38 am

Glad I got the chance to meet you for the Flatiron hike, Jim. Good luck, up there!
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Aug 21 2010 10:06 am

Although it's not Arizona, the Bay Area is a great place to hang out. Good luck!

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Aug 21 2010 10:29 am

Good luck, buddy!
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

fricknaley
Yikesapelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by fricknaley » Aug 21 2010 11:56 am

though i've never met you, jim, i feel like i've known you forever. i wish you the best :DANCE:
hi

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Aug 21 2010 12:25 pm

Jim Lyding wrote:However, the person I want to thank the most is Joe Bartels.
I also second that! Whenever I research out of state hikes I end up amazed that there's nothing else out there like HAZ. It's truly the premier hiking site out there. Without it I would definitely be 30 pounds heavier and a less happy person! Bravo, Joe! :y:
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

JimmyLyding
Sasquatchopelli
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Aug 21 2010 1:09 pm

fricknaley wrote:though i've never met you, jim, i feel like i've known you forever. i wish you the best :DANCE:
I'll be back in Tucson for 3-4 Arizona football games this year. I'll let you know. If you're into tailgating for the games that I'm not attending head to the huge tailgate with the large tent(s), monster grill, white trailer, and the 52" flatscreen. Tell 'em I sent you.

dround
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert,az

Post by dround » Aug 21 2010 6:17 pm

Jim Lyding wrote:However, the person I want to thank the most is Joe Bartels. I'm confident in writing that none of us would be here enjoying this site and our state's fine hiking opportunities as much as we do were it not for his efforts. I know that I'm not alone in thanking him for creating and fostering the community that is HikeArizona.com.
fricknaley wrote:though i've never met you, jim, i feel like i've known you forever. i wish you the best
Good luck out in the bay area, you will probably be back in AZ some day, AZ seems to call some of us back more than once. Your message got to me, being a new member, always ignoring the donation box at the bottom of the screen has opened my eyes.
Joe the check is in the mail!

DarthStiller
Lombardi Caretaker

Post by DarthStiller » Aug 21 2010 8:00 pm

Even though I wasn't thanked the most (Joe is obviously most deserving of that honor), I do feel honored that I was mentioned first. Thanks, Jim. I've hiked with 40 HAZ members so far, and I can say definitely that your one-liners and overall laissez-faire attitude during hikes and the rides up and back have been very memorable for me. I hope you can find time to make it back for some more HAZ hikes as well as the UofA games. Everyone I've met on HAZ is very cool, but you and I seem to share the same sense of politics/philosophy, beer, and music, not to mention hiking. Good luck in your career, but don't give up on AZ permanently, we need to dilute the right wing nut voting pool. :STP:

BTW, if there is an NFL season in 2011, the Steelers are scheduled to play in SF. I might make the trip up and try to make you an honorary one-day Steeler fan. At least you can dig how we tailgate Steel City style.

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Aug 21 2010 8:21 pm

Jim - best wishes. Where in the Bay Area? What's the opportunity? Keep posting hikes - especially of Russian River Wineries :y: If you need tips on Wine Country, HAZmail me. Not all of my time at Stanford was spent studying. We'll come visit you and you can entertain us and take us hiking. :sl: Great biking around the Bay Area. Yosemite, Shasta and Tahoe are (sort of) in your back yard. I've got a Trails.com subscription and will HAZmail you some hike descriptions.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Aug 21 2010 11:09 pm

Good luck to you, Jim. N. Cal. is down right beautiful! Would love to hike that part of Cali. Keep us posted on the hikes and pics.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Aug 22 2010 4:07 am

Good luck, Jim, don't forget about us!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Sun_Ray
Javakaipelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray » Aug 22 2010 10:25 am

Jim, my wife and I lived in San Ramon, CA, in the east bay, for 18 years before moving here in 2004. You'll love it. Our favorite hike was the Loch Leven Trail off hwy 80 almost to Lake Tahoe. We'd stay at the Rainbow Lodge right as you exit 80.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/documents ... venROG.pdf
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Aug 22 2010 10:27 am

Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

AZLOT69
Adventure Kokopelli
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by AZLOT69 » Aug 22 2010 10:32 am

Great, we could use another roving reporter up here !
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

The_Eagle
The Bunyan Blind Raptor
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Aug 22 2010 10:50 am

Jimmy,
Best of luck to you up in northern fur-shur-land.

I enjoyed all of our hikes and conversations. Your wit and gruffness will be missed.
Thanks for being the inspiration for the recently named Rock Wall Trail (formerly the "BC Rock Wall Trail") and teaching me a thing or two.
Your ability to name all the mountain ranges, peaks, trees, plants, and critters amazed me.
(Even if you were making it up).

I want to especially want to thank you being the lightning rod on the hike that almost killed me.
http://hikearizona.com/x.php?I=4&ZTN=505&UID=48890
But the fireworks were incredible.

I look forward to all the new No-Cal hike descriptions.
Give us a lookup when you make it back to the State for a hike.

BC
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”