Personal Topics :: Less Hiking/Outdoors/etc

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Moving to Casa Grande / Phoenix / Kayenta / Anywhere

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 24 2011 9:09 pm

Well, I guess I'll have to change my screen name soon. My wife and I are going to be moving to Casa Grande before the end of the year. Listing the house for sale up in Page. No job yet, kinda scary, but my wife needs to go back to school full time. Even commuting to and from UofA, with the house prices in CG we'll save money over moving to El Pueblo. Big change - this will be my first time living off The Plateau since '99. Eeek!
Last edited by PaleoRob on Oct 07 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Moving to Casa Grande

Post by paulhubbard » Feb 24 2011 9:28 pm

My GF lives and works in CG. [Big] houses there can be picked up for a song! Main issue is there are no interesting destinations nearby...
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Feb 24 2011 10:12 pm

I think the Picacho Mtn Petroglyph Sites will keep your interest among a wide range of other options only an hour away. Now will the 303 go that far south?
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

PrestonSands
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by PrestonSands » Feb 24 2011 10:23 pm

Time to visit the Sierra Ancha, Rob! :)
"I'm going for a coffee, but you never know when a hike might break out." -Jim Gaffigan

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Feb 25 2011 4:34 am

Brutal commute ... :scared:

The traffic on 8 is why I go out of my way (through Florence) to get from Phoenix to Tucson ...
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 25 2011 5:21 am

Oh, no! I will miss you up here on the Colorado Plateau, Rob! Let's see, what should your screen name be? GrandeRob? CasaRob? Nah. Hmmmm.... Robosaurus? RockartRob?

(This is why my husband usually named the kids and pets. I am no good at naming, except for the one good one I came up with for my daughter: Rose.)

Well, you said, end of the year? We really should get together and do Soap and maybe also one up nearer Page.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 25 2011 6:37 am

I was thinking of CG Rob. We're planning on sometime in Fall being in CG full time. I plan on doing lots of hiking up here before taking off - I'll try to post most of them as events so if people want to come along they know in advance.
Echo Peaks needs to happen.
Spencer-Dominguez Loop needs to happen.
The Steps Trail needs to happen.
Rainbow Bridge is still going to happen.
Several others that are still possibilities too, like Horseshoe Canyon.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Feb 25 2011 8:08 am

paulhubbard wrote:houses there can be picked up for a song!
Yeah, but can you fill your vehicle with a song? Not even wailing the blues will keep gas prices reasonable... it will be more like moaning as gas creeps past $3.50/gallon. And with the unrest in some of the major oil-producing countries I don't doubt it we'll see it topping $4 by late this year.

@PageRob I wish you good luck and hope you find work before you have to move...
CannondaleKid

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 25 2011 9:05 am

CannondaleKid wrote:
paulhubbard wrote:houses there can be picked up for a song!
Yeah, but can you fill your vehicle with a song?
Gas is cheaper there than here, on average.
-Old Spiritual

Sun_Ray
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Sun_Ray » Feb 25 2011 9:11 am

Wishing you the very best on your families move! I'll wave as I pass by CG on way to Tucson (we go 2-3 times a year). You will be closer to me than when you were in Page so look forward to a future hike together....Brian
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Feb 25 2011 10:03 am

So will we have any members in northern Coconino County, Apache or Navajo County?
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 25 2011 10:07 am

Toad-of-the-Rocks still lives in Page, if we can get him to post on here. SkyIslandHiker (Bill B.) of Green Valley has bought a cabin in Show Low and has joined TRACKS, so he does post about the White Mtns. now and then.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 25 2011 10:24 am

That's quite a change. I wish you the best of luck in finding a good job quickly.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Feb 25 2011 11:12 am

I would ask if you will miss living at altitude, or if you think it will be weird living down low again, but Page isn't very high for the plateau. You'll get really nice temps except for what, June, July and August?

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Feb 25 2011 7:43 pm

Jim_H wrote:I would ask if you will miss living at altitude, or if you think it will be weird living down low again, but Page isn't very high for the plateau. You'll get really nice temps except for what, June, July and August?
...May, September, and also April and October in most years.

You'll be a short drive from the Superstitions, Pinals, and Santa Catalinas. Cool!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Feb 26 2011 9:40 am

It's over 100 by April and it still is in October?

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Feb 26 2011 10:37 am

@Jim - Oh yeah. It's uncommon but not unheard of in April, and in October it's pretty regular.

I've driven through too many massive duststorms in Casa Grande to ever consider moving there. But, I'm lucky enough to have gotten a house in Tucson before the real estate insanity of the early 2000s.

I'm excited to have you close by! All the adventures we can have!

W
-----------------------------------
It troubles me that these days no matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up
- Lilly Tomlin

Randal_Schulhauser
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Feb 26 2011 11:49 am

Welcome to the neighborhood (kind of) :)

How does the move affect Rainbow Bridge plans?

PaleoRob

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 26 2011 10:15 pm

Jim H wrote:So will we have any members in northern Coconino County, Apache or Navajo County?
That new Navajo guy from Cedar Ridge that has posting on the LCR photosets would count as northern Coconino County.
azbackpackr wrote:Toad-of-the-Rocks still lives in Page
In fact we plan on hiking next weekend - Spencer/Dominguez. I'll post it as an event.
Jim Lyding wrote:You'll be a short drive from the Superstitions, Pinals, and Santa Catalinas. Cool!
I am excited about this.
writelots wrote:I've driven through too many massive duststorms in Casa Grande to ever consider moving there. But, I'm lucky enough to have gotten a house in Tucson before the real estate insanity of the early 2000s.

I'm excited to have you close by! All the adventures we can have!"
I too have been in these dust storm - not looking forward to that! I am excited about being able to hike more often will all of my HAZ friends.
Randal Schulhauser wrote:Welcome to the neighborhood (kind of) :)

How does the move affect Rainbow Bridge plans?
No change to the RB plans - we won't be leaving Page until June at the earliest. One possibility on the job horizon is actually a charter school in Ahwatukee, interestingly enough...
-Old Spiritual

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 27 2011 7:52 am

So, I'm hearing about houses with pools selling for $85K in Avondale. How much is an ordinary house in Casa Grande? Has to be cheaper than $85K, right? But I'm told you now have to have pristine credit in order to get a loan, and they want big downpayments as well.

Guess I will have to keep my house in Eagar for awhile.

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”