Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Tortoise_Hiker
Genuinepelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Arizona's Birthday

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Feb 14 2012 6:22 pm

Happy Birthday Arizona!
I've been enjoying this great state for most of my 50years! I was wondering how many Arizona Natives (besides me) are HAZ members. Arizona rocks as do all you Hazers!
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

fricknaley
Yikesapelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Arizona's Birthday

Post by fricknaley » Feb 15 2012 9:49 am

@chumley Lumberyard makes an imperial red that's quite good too
hi

SkyIslander18
Lucky Catchapelli
City, State: Small Town USA

Post by SkyIslander18 » Feb 15 2012 10:07 am

Born in Safford 1970
Grew up and lived all around Maricopa County for 30 years.
Escaped back to Safford 12 years ago!
Some of my oldest memories growing up in AZ were - Metrocenter (back when it was the biggest shopping center in AZ), Family trips out to Legend City and me & my brother appearing on the Wallace & Ladmo show with my brother winning the Ladmo Bag .......... Which still bothers me to this very day :x

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Feb 15 2012 10:29 am

Born at Good Sam, family home was on the NW corner of Scottsdale Rd. and McDonald.
My mom's friend tried to get her to date Wallace, she didn't.
I was scarred for life.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Feb 15 2012 10:46 am

Alston Neal wrote:My mom's friend tried to get her to date Wallace, she didn't.
I was scarred for life.
That explains so much...

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 15 2012 10:49 am

@Alston Neal :lol:
@AZWaterRat
Man, I forgot about Legend City! :lol: That was a frequent destination. I remember too, what a big deal it was when Big Surf opened. Safford's a nice town, don't blame you a bit for going back. I spent so much time there during a road project once that I joined the local Volleyball league for the entire season.... :sweat:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Feb 15 2012 3:36 pm

I was born in Preskit .... both my parents born in AZ.... Seligman and Buckeye... Dad's parents moved here to homestead in Wintersburg.. Mom's parents followed the railroad... have never lived outside of AZ...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 15 2012 5:11 pm

Dschur wrote:I was born in Preskit .... both my parents born in AZ.... Seligman and Buckeye... Dad's parents moved here to homestead in Wintersburg.. Mom's parents followed the railroad... have never lived outside of AZ...
You win! :)
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Feb 15 2012 5:57 pm

If I was born and raised in Arizona, or various parts of other western states, I don't think I would appreciate Arizona as much as I do when I had to seek it out as an adult. Now, when can I move back to Arizona? ;) Being as I'm in Utah.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

New2hyk
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: scottsdale, AZ

Post by New2hyk » Feb 15 2012 7:38 pm

chumley wrote:A good way to celebrate the anniversary is by going local! :)
what :o No chili beer :scared:

Moovyoaz
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Moovyoaz » Feb 15 2012 7:54 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote: Moovyoaz wrote:I was born in Phoenix 57 years ago at Good Sam Hospital. About 20 years ago I bought an Arizona 50th Anniversary 'Days & Ways' book published by the Az Republic. It's interesting to see all the companies that are long gone (O'Mally's, Yellow Front) and other memories of Arizona and Phoenix. There's even a picture of my father milking cows on our dairy west of Tolleson to remind me why I moved to Phoenix!
As for what it was like in the 'Good Ol' Days'.. well, it was hot! : rambo :

You're a youngster. I almost remember before I-17 went in. And the long gone A-1 Beer. But it was a dry heat. And we would chase the fish on the Salt River near Tempe to catch them before the monsoon rains came. They were so used to our dry rivers that they would drown when the water came. :)
Actually it wasn't the Arizona heat I remember; it was the humility.
Nimbus brought A-1 back. It's not the same, but apparently it wasn't really ever the same, having been much different in the 70s than it was in the 40s.
I also remember Al McCoy's tag line Good! Like A-1 Beer! when the Hawk would glide to the hole. :DANCE:
The owner of Phoenix Brewery recently told me that Nimbus lost the rights to A-1. Don't know for sure, but their website no longer shows A-1.
A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Al_HikesAZ
Ol' Kokopelli

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Feb 15 2012 8:32 pm

Moovyoaz wrote:Actually it wasn't the Arizona heat I remember; it was the humility.
Art Brock the weatherman humididity :)
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

rwstorm
Car Campin Kopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Feb 15 2012 8:43 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:Art Brock the weatherman humididity
I used to love Art Brock do the weather as a kid!
Onward into oblivion!

Moovyoaz
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Moovyoaz » Feb 15 2012 8:58 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:Art Brock the weatherman humididity :)
And part time Madison Square Garden announcer of such memorable wrestling matches as Tito Montez vs Bulldog Kent! That's when it was real, not like today's WWF. :oplz:

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 16 2012 3:50 am

Moovyoaz wrote:Actually it wasn't the Arizona heat I remember; it was the humility.
Ah, Arizona. Be it ever so humble.

:D
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Feb 16 2012 12:48 pm

everyone loves Arizona Highways right... (I'm more into hiking myself)

here you go, knock yourself out
AZ660.pdf
Arizona's Transportation History
(2.69 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Tortoise_Hiker
Genuinepelli

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Feb 17 2012 7:30 pm

Moovyoaz wrote:Good Sam Hospital
me too :)
Moovyoaz wrote:Yellow Front
Same people had checkers auto back then and the smaller towns had the checkers inside the Yellow Fronts.
Al_HikesAZ wrote: A-1 Beer
They had some neat collector cans
Jim Lyding wrote:remember the monsoons being stronger when I was a kid (mid-80s),
I think it was early 80's when the big flood hit.It wiped out most of the bridges.Central held up after they removed the downed power lines.The freeway by the airport had a little pillar damage and the second mill bridge washd away.The 1st Mill bridge was the only way across that night.
joe bartels wrote: soapbox races
Lou Grubb was in to this.He just passed away in the last couple months.He was a big csr dealer.

Tortoise_Hiker
Genuinepelli

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Feb 17 2012 7:38 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote:Art Brock
I don't remember him.I remember Dewy Hopper.I liked Bill Close and his Bolla Tie.Remember when he was taken hostage on air?
AZWaterRat wrote: Legend City
Loved the bumper cars.If you went to a PHX Giants game you got into Legend City free after the game.Isn't that where Compton Terrece was before it moved to Firebird Lake?
Outdoor Lover wrote:Big Surf
Loved the wave machine

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 17 2012 7:59 pm

@Tortoise Hiker I remember Dewey and Bill. And my Dad used to play baseball with Bill Denny whom I met once while he was still broadcasting. And yep, Compton Terrace was a very cool (or hot) place to go for Outdoor Concerts. I saw a few bands there. Does anybody else remember TG&Y? Dime Store that was in Papago Plaza for years and years.....Ok, now I'm really aging myself... ;)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Feb 17 2012 10:40 pm

TG&Y in the late 70's in OKC was among my favorite places. However my biggest purchase of the decade was at Target. The super-pioneer stereo-record-player set and yes there was mono. It was a little wobbly riding home the baby-powder-blue banana-seat sissy-bar Huffy but I managed with a stop off at Taco Tico. The Bee Gees christened the needle and Kiss double platinum tore it up. Thirty years later I released my first single "Cinder a Letter on the Arizona Trail". Casey can you play Cinder a Letter for Arizona's hundredth birthday...
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Moovyoaz
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Moovyoaz » Feb 18 2012 5:07 am

Tortoise Hiker wrote:Loved the bumper cars.If you went to a PHX Giants game you got into Legend City free after the game.Isn't that where Compton Terrace was before it moved to Firebird Lake?
Compton Terrace was started by Jess Nicks, and named in tribute to William Edward Compton III, who died in a car accident on June 21, 1977. It was was situated on land adjacent to the old Legend City and the premier rock concert venue for many years. Fleetwood Mac always put on an unforgettable show at Compton Terrace, which was the only venue Stevie would play when in the Valley.
In 1969 Bill Compton started the pioneering Phoenix album-rock station, KCAC, the early KDKB. The KCAC Lives blog about the people behind both stations, including William Edward Compton, Dwight Tindle, Hank Cookenboo, and 'The Toad' (aka Russell Shaw, now a realtor). http://kcaclives.blogspot.com/

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”