Personal Topics :: Less Hiking/Outdoors/etc

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Those People

Post by Jim_H » Dec 14 2012 9:50 pm

You know them, and maybe you are one of them. Those people, who come from another state, and move to Arizona, or Florida, or some other state, and they often make annoying statements about things that are or were better in their home state, or talk about how they did things in their home state, or just talk or post about stuff "back home". They're, "those people", or the back home crowd. You see them here, in the forum, talking about NY weather, or how it is always colder in Wisconsin, or the way things were better in Massachusetts, or some other state, perhaps California, or Montana. Point is, you know them, and maybe you are one.

It probably just comes from moving to some place after having grown up in a particular spot, and becoming who you are in that location. You can take the boy out of xxxxxxxxxxx, but you can't take the xxxxxxxxx out of the boy, so to speak. I try not to speak about where I come from, and stay out of many conversations on my state of origin. I won't even mention it here. I sometimes mention Florida, but not too often. This usually comes from me first encountering "those people" in Florida, after I moved there, and still really liked the place, and found those people who talked about NY, Michigan, or their home state so fondly, to be quite irritating. If it was so great, why did you leave? Go back there! So, I never really talk fondly of my home state. Mostly, I have few fond memories I want to relate to other people, but really, I liked where I moved to and wanted to be there, not, "back home".

However, I have finally become one of, "those people", but for Arizona. I realize I now speak fondly of it, and more or less view Flagstaff, as my default home town. Northern Arizona, at the very least. I talk about it, and probably annoy others doing so, with some regularity. I think fondly of it, and I compare, perhaps unfairly, New Mexico to AZ. I want NM to be AZ, but it never will be. I find it a little funny, but I like it this way. I would much rather AZ be my home state, and even if I was almost 27 when I moved to Flagstaff, I rather like the idea of it being my home town. Sure, I love traveling to other western states and areas, like the Sierra in California, the Rockies in Colorado, the Tetons in Wyoming, the Snake River Plain in Idaho, and the central park lands in Utah, but I always loved coming home to Arizona.

I wonder, do other lost sons of Arizona develop this, or do those who recently moved to Grand Junction, the Bay Area, or other locations drop off the map and see those places as their new home, doing as I did in the past and never speaking of, that place they came from which shall remain unspoken.
:o

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Those People

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Dec 14 2012 9:57 pm

Yeah. I know one of "those people". He talks about how great the Steelers are and how much better they are than the Cardinals. Oh wait - He's Right :sl:

From my experience, it takes about 3-4 years before you settle in and really know a place and feel that it is home. Any time I lived somewhere for less that 2-3 years, AZ always seemed like home - especially since this is where my family was and is. And even then there are still strong feelings for home. My wife is from Milwaukee and even after almost 40 years she still has fond memories and some feeling that that is home - partly since many of her family still live there.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Dec 14 2012 10:07 pm

Bored Jim? :sl:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Dec 14 2012 10:13 pm

I've become one of "those people", but about Flagstaff specifically and how much better it is than....well, Jim, you already know what I mean from all those PMs we have traded. I do try not complain too much to people, as when I lived in Flag I always despised the college kids that would move up from suburban Phoenix and complain about the lack of indistinct chain restaurants and stores....
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 14 2012 10:21 pm

That would be annoying, but when I speak of AZ, it's more the positive things I miss, the Peaks, the Tucson MTs, the Sonoran desert, Basha's, that sort of thing. Arizona has so much diversity in so dense an area. California probably has more diversity overall, but you have to travel further to get it. 2 hours from 1000' high hot, sun baked, Saguaro studded desert to the base of a 12,000' snow covered (at times) alpine volcano. Well, I guess the Death Valley to Mt Whitney drive is shorter but the Mohave is nowhere near as lush as the Sonoran Desert, not in the wetter areas of the north valley. We do lack oceans, but still.

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Dec 14 2012 10:52 pm

I find it interesting that you consider Flagstaff home, considering your past record of Flag-bashing ;) . It also makes me feel a little bit warm inside.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 14 2012 10:53 pm

Can I predict how much I'll whine after I pull up stakes? I don't tend to dwell on things that bother me. Three times I've moved to a radically new place after very long periods where I was. I can only think of a few differences that irked me each time, none badly enough to spoil my fun. AZ has some qualities I expect to fall in that bucket. Fortunately, it has good hiking and Mexican food, geology and ruins, and some friendly folks. That might be enough to keep me from going on about the greener grass. No promises, though. :D

no avatar
----

Post by ---- » Dec 15 2012 12:11 am

My wife and I visited the valley in December 2010 for interview stuff and were completely sold. We have lived in different places and different environments, even in a caribbean country, but this was to be our new home at least for now. We take the good with the bad, the heat with the uhh, well okay not so cold, and we love the mountains here. The Supes have become our home. We particularly get sick of people complaining of the heat during the summer. Why live here if you can't adapt?

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Dec 15 2012 6:26 am

Devils Mountain wrote:We particularly get sick of people complaining of the heat during the summer. Why live here if you can't adapt?
The people who complain about how hot it gets in the summer are the same people who complain how cold is gets in the winter.

SAMBA
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SAMBA » Dec 15 2012 7:30 am

gummo wrote:The people who complain about how hot it gets in the summer are the same people who complain how cold is gets in the winter.
Au contraire!!!! I'm one of "those" one-way guys who hates not only southern Arizona winters, but any northern hemisphere winter. SAMBA don't do cold!

Yo gummo, you speak as one who doesn't have a favorite re-hydrating watering hole which dispenses $1.00 pints of tasty malt beverages. I do (Che's Lounge)! And I "do" it well!!! I'm usually deep into my third (fourth?) pint of "goodness" before I'm making even a dent in my parchedness. The only real downside to "doing stuff" in summer in the Old Pueblo is my inability to find anyone who shares my predilection for the Tucson furnace. But that's not all that bad; I don't have to share my FREE bowl of SALTY snack-mix at Che's.

SAMBA (aka LaFong)

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Dec 15 2012 7:32 am

I have been known to talk about my home state, Colorado. I lived there for the first part of my life, 12 years. We then moved to Arizona. After graduating high school, I moved up to Idaho for a year, then moved back. I do complain about the heat in the summer here, but when I start hiking in the Supes, I know my home is here. No question about it. After 25 years here, I have grown into a desert rat, and have no intentions of moving anywhere else. Yes, it's hot, and don't tell me " But it's a dry heat" go F yourself! It's F'ing hot, but it only lasts for a couple of months, so shut up and deal with it. The rest of the year is awesome. Yes, when you have the Supes, you can deal with anything for a period of time. God bless the Supes!
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 15 2012 7:46 am

I learned long ago to stop imagining the other side of the fence being greener. Instead I seek only to make my side of the fence more enjoyable.

:bdh:
Why dwell on the past? You are where you are for the time being so make the best of it. Whining is like worrying, it's a waste of energy that could be put to better use thinking positively.
CannondaleKid

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Dec 15 2012 8:16 am

SAMBA wrote:
gummo wrote:The people who complain about how hot it gets in the summer are the same people who complain how cold is gets in the winter.
Au contraire!!!! I'm one of "those" one-way guys who hates not only southern Arizona winters, but any northern hemisphere winter. SAMBA don't do cold!

Yo gummo, you speak as one who doesn't have a favorite re-hydrating watering hole which dispenses $1.00 pints of tasty malt beverages. I do (Che's Lounge)! And I "do" it well!!! I'm usually deep into my third (fourth?) pint of "goodness" before I'm making even a dent in my parchedness. The only real downside to "doing stuff" in summer in the Old Pueblo is my inability to find anyone who shares my predilection for the Tucson furnace. But that's not all that bad; I don't have to share my FREE bowl of SALTY snack-mix at Che's.

SAMBA (aka LaFong)
You're correct. I don't have a favorite watering hole. I don't do well with bars and social gatherings. The only thing I drink on tap is water.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 15 2012 10:56 am

I don't blame people for missing and remembering their past. I just think it is funny that I now do it for Arizona. Not constantly, but enough that I noticed it the other day. Is the grass greener in AZ? Yes, because it rains there in winter, unlike this place... ;)

no avatar
----

Post by ---- » Dec 15 2012 11:03 am

@kevinweitzel75
Yes, it's hot, and don't tell me " But it's a dry heat" go F yourself!
:sl:
Hearing that from people is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

big_load

Post by big_load » Dec 15 2012 11:30 am

I'd rather have 120F in Yuma than 100F in Houston or DC.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 15 2012 11:36 am

I'm planning to eventually move back to my home town, or at least very near to it. I'm from San Diego, originally. I haven't lived there for 34 years, though. I plan to move to the north county area. I fully expect I will miss Arizona, and hope to get back to this state from time to time to do some backpacking and river running.

I lived in San Diego from birth 1953 to 1978. I lived on the Big Island of Hawaii from 1978 to 1986. I lived in Tucson from 1986 to 1999. Now I have lived here in Eagar since 1999 EXCEPT for two winters in Yuma ('07, and '08--'09), 13 months in Flagstaff (Nov '10 to Dec '11) and 4 months in Costa Rica (Jan-May of this year.) I liked all those places. (I would NOT want to retire in Costa Rica, however!) I would not want to live in Hawaii again permanently, just would like to visit for a couple of months. I would still like wintering in Yuma, but probably not summering. I would still like living in Tucson or Flagstaff, and miss both those towns very much from time to time. Tucson summers are not all that bad, comparitively speaking.

Here in Eagar: I enjoyed this four-season high mountain climate at first, but now I really would like to get out of the cold. I really do not enjoy it any longer. Cross country skiing is the only thing I like about the snow. Well, ok, it's pretty when it first falls, especially if it's not on a workday! My house is for sale or rent. Anyone interested?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

DarthStiller
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Dec 15 2012 12:25 pm

@Al_HikesAZ
I just root for another team. I moved here in 1999 and never looked back. Even my visits are few and far between.

I tend to notice the parochialism from back where I'm from amongst those who never left. as someone who's moved away, you're viewed almost as a traitor or someone who thinks you're better than them because you moved. Just another reason to visit less.

Alston_Neal

Post by Alston_Neal » Dec 15 2012 12:58 pm

Does comparing the place I used to live in to the place I now live in even though it's the same place count?
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

big_load

Post by big_load » Dec 15 2012 1:05 pm

@Alston Neal There's a limit on pining for how it was the old days. You can get away with exceeding if people think you're old enough. :D

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”