Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
ASUAviator
TruckQuadChickapelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

What do you do for a living??

Post by ASUAviator » Feb 15 2013 5:41 pm

I couldnt help but wonder what everyone does for a living. It seems like some of go out every other day and I get envious of whatever job it is you have. lol. If youre retired, props to you. Can't wait for my day :oplz:

Im currently a grade checker for a construction company moving dirt mon-fri. The career goal is to hopefully become an air traffic controller. Its a long process but im on my way.

So what do you do?
Last edited by ASUAviator on Aug 05 2013 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TrackerAZ
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Re: What do you do for a living??

Post by TrackerAZ » Feb 17 2013 3:33 pm

I instruct outdoor rec classes at Yavapai College in Prescott.
Backcountry skills,Introduction to wild life tracking,also Outdoor cooking on Verde YC campus this spring :y:

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 17 2013 3:42 pm

Now that sounds like fun!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Hippy
Grand-opelli
City, State: Grand Canyon

Post by Hippy » Feb 17 2013 4:55 pm

Jim_H wrote:Casa Grande would be a huge step up for me right now,
well, that's just depressing, I lived down in CG for a year and worked as the bartender at THE bowling alley... :yuck: although I will admit I truly loved that job!

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 17 2013 4:56 pm

@The Hippy
You're old enough to Bartend? :o
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Feb 17 2013 5:12 pm

I am the guy at the local bookstore that judges you when you buy a book that I think is lame :sl: . Just kidding (mostly)! I am the inventory watchdog and loss prevention nitpicker at a bookstore. The management also makes me deal with the really irate customers since I apparently have a special way with people :D
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Tortoise_Hiker
Genuinepelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Feb 17 2013 5:56 pm

Preston the yeti wrote: hike on his lunch breaks,
: app :
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

MtnBart01
Chipita Whirlybird
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Feb 17 2013 6:45 pm

I work in the hairy gangrenous big toe of the US called Louisana. I get paid to do a variety of things from sleeping to walking in circles to turtle watching to keep them from being blown up by oil companies. I transport all sorts of things from cigarettes and Cajuns to radioactive hazmat all so you can put fuel in your car. :D
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

ASUAviator
TruckQuadChickapelli

Post by ASUAviator » Feb 17 2013 7:42 pm

TrackerAZ wrote:I instruct outdoor rec classes at Yavapai College in Prescott.
Backcountry skills,Introduction to wild life tracking,also Outdoor cooking on Verde YC campus this spring :y:
Are you friends with Cody Lundin? Are you Cody Lundin??

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Feb 17 2013 8:02 pm

Rob del Desierto wrote:
Jim_H wrote:Casa Grande would be a huge step up for me right now, so I can't complain about that area at all.
Well it is true that you and I have disagreed about the merits of various communities, so perhaps you would really enjoy it here. I feel it is a soul-less, trashy town without good local recreation or scenic views. Your mileage may vary.
Have you been to Alamogordo? Or new Mexico for that matter. There is a reason AMC chose this state as the setting for a show centered around Meth. Soulless? Well, whatever. Trashy? This place, oh this place. I think C.G. has better views and the recreation may be a little drive, but the same ATV trail as a local hike is not appealing. For the mileage, the drive from CG to the Pusch is more attractive and the recreation opportunities far better.

You know, there real question, is not the boring one of what do you do, or what are your goals, but is if your job is tolerable, enjoyable, or are you at the end of your rope? How about, do you like where you live, and get to enjoy it? I think few of us really care about what other do to support themselves, but can we tolerate our own job? Jobs, careers, goals, I find them empty and worthless. It's about living where you want to exist an doing what you want to do, something few of us can actually do.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 17 2013 8:21 pm

Jim_H wrote:
Rob del Desierto wrote:
Jim_H wrote:Casa Grande would be a huge step up for me right now, so I can't complain about that area at all.
Well it is true that you and I have disagreed about the merits of various communities, so perhaps you would really enjoy it here. I feel it is a soul-less, trashy town without good local recreation or scenic views. Your mileage may vary.
Have you been to Alamogordo? Or new Mexico for that matter. There is a reason AMC chose this state as the setting for a show centered around Meth. Soulless? Well, whatever. Trashy? This place, oh this place. I think C.G. has better views and the recreation may be a little drive, but the same ATV trail as a local hike is not appealing. For the mileage, the drive from CG to the Pusch is more attractive and the recreation opportunities far better.
I've spent quite a bit of time in New Mexico, both on and off the Rez. Back in college I did a bit of fieldwork north of Santa Fe. The most popular hiking trail here is a 4x4 access road up to radio towers - an ATV path might be an improvement there. If I want to hike anywhere besides Casa Grande Mountain I'm facing an hour drive at minimum (excepting Picacho). Anyway, if you do move out here before I manage to escape we'll have to get together on some hikes. Maybe having someone else in town who likes to hike would change some of my perception of this place.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

hippiepunkpirate
Chameleon Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Feb 17 2013 8:44 pm

I interviewed for an exciting new job today in Flagstaff...I will know later in the week if I get it. I'll divulge the details if I get it....
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Feb 17 2013 8:48 pm

Northern NM is a whole another animal. Unlikely I'll be in CG any time soon, but if I get lucky.....
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 18 2013 4:37 am

hippiepunkpirate wrote:I interviewed for an exciting new job today in Flagstaff...I will know later in the week if I get it. I'll divulge the details if I get it....
Good luck, Jake! I'm starting a new job today, at minimum wage, which is normal for Round Valley. I sure want out of this cowtown. I am going to end up just walking away from my house at some point. I really hate it here. I miss Flagstaff. I miss Tucson. I sure enjoyed living in Flag in 2011, but I think I will move to Tucson for the warmer weather and bigger job market.

Plus I woke up to an automated call from my bank, which noticed unusual activity on my account. Someone in British Columbia has my card number and has removed $125 from my bank account, going to Burger King and the grocery store, of all places. It's about 4:30 a.m. but I am heading for the ATM machine to get the rest of my money out. The bank is closed today, so I will have to ask for a new card and a reimbursement tomorrow.

How do they use my card number at Burger King if they don't have my card? Do they make a fake card?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Feb 18 2013 6:04 am

@Rob del Desierto

What about Table Top?? I think that's an underrated hike for sonoran desert scenery. Or the maricopas--of which there is some access right off of I -8. And anything off the El Camino----Yes it's a drive for you but a heck of a lot closer than someone in say North Phoenix or far east of Tucson.
And you have a pretty straight shot to San Diego, again a drive but usually better weather in winter than trips up north unless you want the snow. Lots of good desert between Casa Grande and there.
Just my opinion, Brian has a pretty poor opinion of Globe and it's corruption and drug culture, but he has chosen to live there for almost 20 years, mainly because of the location to some awesome landscape.

cactuscat
Zion Dreamer
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Feb 18 2013 6:37 am

@azbackpackr
I wondered that too, when someone used my card number at a store in Phoenix while I was in Tucson all day.
Where is the "dislike" button?

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 18 2013 7:30 am

RedRoxx44 wrote:@Rob del Desierto

What about Table Top?? I think that's an underrated hike for sonoran desert scenery. Or the maricopas--of which there is some access right off of I -8. And anything off the El Camino----Yes it's a drive for you but a heck of a lot closer than someone in say North Phoenix or far east of Tucson.
And you have a pretty straight shot to San Diego, again a drive but usually better weather in winter than trips up north unless you want the snow. Lots of good desert between Casa Grande and there.
Just my opinion, Brian has a pretty poor opinion of Globe and it's corruption and drug culture, but he has chosen to live there for almost 20 years, mainly because of the location to some awesome landscape.
There is some awesome-looking desert west of here. The problem is the large amount of smuggling and border violence. Last I heard, Table Top is closed by the border patrol. Vigilantes, smugglers, and BP all wander around the desert and it seems like two of the three get into a shootout with someone dead every few months. There was one in Eloy a few months ago, so we're about due for another one soon. I feel like I can't park my truck off-road anywhere between here and El Centro, especially south of the 8. Seems like half of my friends down here have had their vehicles vandalized when they do so (or worse). That limits my hiking options to east/northeast/north. I think that is part of my frustration - the areas I want to check out are only doable with risks I am not willing to take at the moment.
Randall and I did some hiking in the Anza-Borrego last year and I loved it. It is only 3.5 hours away, so not an undue burden of travel, even for a day trip. I generally try to steer clear of California in general, however.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Feb 18 2013 7:56 am

azbackpackr wrote:How do they use my card number at Burger King if they don't have my card? Do they make a fake card?
You can get a little gadget to reprogram a credit card's magnetic strip. Someone can use their own card and show their own ID but put your account info on the strip.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Dschur
Fossil Kokopelli
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Feb 18 2013 8:18 am

Electronic Assembler... that means I solder and assemble stuff.. what I can't tell you....Been doing that for over 35 yrs.. wanted to be a Park Ranger when I was in elemetary school.. Even went to college for a yr for it but didn't work out..
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Sredfield
Volunteer Kokopelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Feb 18 2013 1:29 pm

I heard this NPR program today on the way back from my "work" and found it very relevant to this discussion.
http://www.npr.org/2013/02/18/171926131 ... appy-hours
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

whereveriroam
Roaming Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by whereveriroam » Feb 18 2013 3:55 pm

As little as possible.

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”