Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
ASUAviator
TruckQuadChickapelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

What do you do for a living??

Post by ASUAviator » Feb 15 2013 5:41 pm

I couldnt help but wonder what everyone does for a living. It seems like some of go out every other day and I get envious of whatever job it is you have. lol. If youre retired, props to you. Can't wait for my day :oplz:

Im currently a grade checker for a construction company moving dirt mon-fri. The career goal is to hopefully become an air traffic controller. Its a long process but im on my way.

So what do you do?
Last edited by ASUAviator on Aug 05 2013 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DBmooner
Dabbles in Adventure
City, State: chandler, Az

Re: What do you do for a living??

Post by DBmooner » Feb 18 2013 6:52 pm

i rebuild Industrial Gas Turbines for power plants

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Feb 18 2013 6:54 pm

I got a tour of a nuke plant once, and the thing I remember is that they were house-sized ... :o
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

DBmooner
Dabbles in Adventure
City, State: chandler, Az

Post by DBmooner » Feb 18 2013 7:25 pm

yeah they can pretty big but i never see them all together they send me parts of the turbine and what ever can be saved i make it like new again :D

imike
Finger Rock Kokopelli
City, State: Cloudcroft, NM

Post by imike » Feb 20 2013 9:09 am

Volunteer work: building handicap ramps for shut-ins, hiking trail maintenance, Food bank deliveries, Habitat for Humanity projects... and classes at the local library...
Ageless Mind... Timeless Body... No Way! Use It and Lose It. Just the way it is...

Bradshaws
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Bradshaws » Feb 20 2013 9:32 am

I'm a auto mechanic for Phoenix police. I do get a lot of time off (weekend, holidays and vacation) but very little gets used hiking :( . I have 2 pre-teen girls that burn up all my free time and then some! :doh: :lol:
Last edited by Bradshaws on Feb 20 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
“ you know what I think?... It doesn’t matter what I think”

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Feb 20 2013 9:32 am

Registered Sales Assistant and Operations Manager for 2 independent Branch Managers at Wells Fargo Advisors Financial Network - Scottsdale.

Current side job: picket post fence painter :sweat:
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 20 2013 10:24 am

After one day at a minimum wage job, I had to spend half what I made at the chiropractor. So, today I quit that job. Meanwhile, I lost the chance to make money at my on-call job for the rest of the week, which pays really well when they do call me. I am hoping for an interview at another part time job which pays pretty well, where I wouldn't have to go to the chiropractor every day, and could keep my on-call job.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Feb 20 2013 11:42 am

Jim_H wrote: Unlikely I'll be in CG any time soon, but if I get lucky.....
I may wind up close to CG (if I'm lucky...)... Although, after doing my homework, I'm not totally convinced Florence is the garden spot of AZ, either. Still... it's not Kalifornia!!

SAMBA
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SAMBA » Feb 20 2013 12:30 pm

@PLC92084

"I'm not totally convinced Florence is the garden spot of AZ, either"? Box Canyon! Martinez Canyon! Kilns of Cochran! AZT #'s 16 & 17! Martinez Mine! Gila River! Donnelly Slope! Me thinks your "garden spot" standards may be a tad lofty. IMn-sHO (computerese for "In My not-so Humble Opinion), the area east of Florence is one of the best (the best?) outdoor playgrounds in Southern Arizona provided you consider pursuits such as hiking, biking, backpacking, off-roading to be your idea of fun.

PLC92084
∞kopelli
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Feb 20 2013 12:54 pm

@SAMBA
I should have been more clear... the town of Florence isn't a garden spot (the numerous prisons are interesting, though...) The areas around it are awesome!! I didn't even realize the Gila River was close by until I started seeing lots of ads for boats and such; at first I was wondering why people would need them in that part of the desert...

I certainly don't want to perpetuate any stereotypes about snooty Californians (welcome to AZ... now Go Home!!).

SAMBA
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by SAMBA » Feb 20 2013 3:15 pm

@PLC92084
Legend has it that sometime in the 1800's representatives from Florence and Tucson flipped a coin to decide which city would get the prison and which one could get the university. The Florence rep WON!!!!

SpiderLegs
Former Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » Feb 20 2013 3:49 pm

SAMBA wrote:@PLC92084
Legend has it that sometime in the 1800's representatives from Florence and Tucson flipped a coin to decide which city would get the prison and which one could get the university. The Florence rep WON!!!!
Took an Arizona history class in college. The poor guy who came back to Tucson with the university was almost tarred & feathered plus run out of town. People in Tucson really wanted the prison.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

Trishness
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Feb 20 2013 8:38 pm

SAMBA wrote:@PLC92084
I think each city has their historic place in Arizona history. Some areas of Florence are gorgeous as in the Catholic church downtown.........it's just beautiful. I think you need to look for the beauty within
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

SAMBA
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by SAMBA » Feb 21 2013 9:23 am

@Trishness
Yo T,

I never said or implied anything negative about Florence. Please re-read my previous post. I actually think Florence is a "kewl" little town. The operative word, though, in the previous sentence is "little". On second thought, though, my goal to bike to, and sample the wares at ALL the neighborhood watering holes of Tucson, e.g. http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=23616 , would have been considerably easier if the Tucson rep had won the coin toss.

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 21 2013 6:19 pm

I just applied for a job as assistant director of a museum and Indian ruins. Sounds fantastic, right? Well, not exactly. It pays $8 an hour and is part time. So, don't everyone run up here and apply! But it might work for me since I have worked there before, and know it inside and out. But before, I was only a "tour guide." I like the title of "Assistant Director" a lot better! At least it would look nice on a resume!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Feb 21 2013 6:32 pm

Good luck!

BEEBEE
Hamopelli
City, State: Mesa AZ

Post by BEEBEE » Feb 22 2013 7:22 am

Commericial Pilot and Aircraft Mechanic in previous life back east Paramedic and Part-time public Safety Dispatcher
"I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts."

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 22 2013 8:48 am

big_load wrote:Good luck!
Thank you! I'm heading over there to talk to them right now! Hope I'm not too late!

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 23 2013 9:14 am

Let us know what happens!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 23 2013 9:57 am

Well, so far, the director was excited I had applied, and I have the "official" interview on Wed. but he and I talked for about half an hour yesterday morning, right before I came down here to Tucson.

I really do want to move back here to Tucson but it's not in the cards at the moment, and it's nice to have a job opportunity I'm actually excited about, even if it's only part-time. Could lead to something else interesting...

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”