Personal Topics :: Less Hiking/Outdoors/etc

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
ASUAviator
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

What do you do for a living??

Post by ASUAviator » Feb 15 2013 5:41 pm

I couldnt help but wonder what everyone does for a living. It seems like some of go out every other day and I get envious of whatever job it is you have. lol. If youre retired, props to you. Can't wait for my day :oplz:

Im currently a grade checker for a construction company moving dirt mon-fri. The career goal is to hopefully become an air traffic controller. Its a long process but im on my way.

So what do you do?
Last edited by ASUAviator on Aug 05 2013 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jim_H

Re: What do you do for a living??

Post by Jim_H » Feb 23 2013 10:21 am

Who knows, Liz, maybe the bad place will be a good place to finish up your working life?
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Feb 23 2013 6:37 pm

SAMBA wrote:@Trishness
Yo T,

I never said or implied anything negative about Florence. Please re-read my previous post. I actually think Florence is a "kewl" little town. The operative word, though, in the previous sentence is "little". On second thought, though, my goal to bike to, and sample the wares at ALL the neighborhood watering holes of Tucson, e.g. http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=23616 , would have been considerably easier if the Tucson rep had won the coin toss.
Oh no Samba...not taken negatively at all!!!!!
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Feb 25 2013 8:15 pm

Today I accepted a job with Canyon Dave Tours, a private company that does educational rim tours at the Grand Canyon. I will be a guide, picking up tourists in Flagstaff, Williams, and Tusayan, then hitting all the South Rim viewpoints while giving talks about Canyon geology. I'm pretty excited!
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 25 2013 8:17 pm

WTG Jake!!! :DANCE: :y: : app : : app : : app :
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 25 2013 8:23 pm

That sounds fantastic! Will you be able to move away from Phoenix, back to Flag?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Feb 25 2013 8:30 pm

Nice! How many more HAZer's can we get to the Canyon?! :D
(I know one - though I don't think she has officially announced it on here yet ...)
Last edited by cactuscat on Feb 25 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where is the "dislike" button?

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Feb 25 2013 8:31 pm

@azbackpackr
My wife just got a promotion at her job in Phoenix, so we will be working separate cities for the time being. I'll be crashing with my parents 4-5 days a week in Flag, and then will probably go to the valley on my days off. Of course, when its 100+ degrees in Phoenix, my wife will probably want to come up to Flag instead!
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 25 2013 9:27 pm

Congrats Jake!
@cactuscat: Count me among the former Canyon residents from my time with the Peregrine Fund.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 26 2013 6:09 am

I have two job interviews this week!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

fotogirl53
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by fotogirl53 » Feb 26 2013 2:30 pm

Congrats, Jake! And goood luck, Liz.

Re the job: I work for Flag's school district as a speech/language pathologist. Call me if you need help with your speech after a head injury when hiking--just kidding. I worked at the hospital for over 10 years and had to leave because it made me sad. Working with little kids is alot more fun.

Am I the only SLP on HAZ? LOL
Allergic to cities.

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Feb 26 2013 2:33 pm

Mpqhw- what wmyyq iiq.

(I hit my head alot. Just ask my hike partners ...) :stretch:
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Feb 26 2013 3:37 pm

@fotogirl53
My wife is an SLP. :) She just took a transfer with her company so we're heading to Colorado. So technically your not the only one, but she does not know her login and only is logged on hikes she does with me so you probably are technically the only one. :sl:
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 26 2013 3:54 pm

One interview down (went well, I thought) one to go. And yes, I do plan on trying to get both jobs and also keeping the other two I have. I have had four jobs before. Keeps life interesting!

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Feb 26 2013 4:14 pm

hippiepunkpirate wrote:Today I accepted a job with Canyon Dave Tours, a private company that does educational rim tours at the Grand Canyon.
I know Dave Thayer from our days with the Southwest Paleonological Society in Mesa was a club there.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

sirena
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by sirena » Feb 26 2013 6:27 pm

Congrats Jake! All this Canyon talk is making me antsy for river season!!

Here's my current job situation: I'm the Gateway Community Liaison for the Arizona Trail Association, traveling all over AZ to the towns on or near the trail doing talks, planning events, and working with business communities. I am working six trips this summer with Arizona River Runners. And I have also had a massage therapy business for the last 11 years. But I don't tell my clients on the river that, I work hard enough as it is... :)
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

SgtLumpy
City, State: N Phoenix, AZ

Post by SgtLumpy » Mar 03 2013 8:22 am

I'm a retired voice-over artist from Hollywood. That means I did all those commercials, cartoons, public service announcements, nuclear missle launch count downs etc. That and studio musician allowed me to retire from LA at age 25. After that, I traveled around the western US having fun at "idle beater" jobs like paramedic, deputy sheriff. Had a blast till I got blasted myself, literally. Now I live in N Phoenix and coach a handful of great music and voice students about performance.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Jul 31 2013 5:05 pm

Not wanting to start a new thread unless response is super low, I will post here.

I am curious, for those that work, what sort of hours do you work? I know many of the top AEG performers don't work, but some must. Do you work days, evenings, nights? What about length of the shift? 8, 10, or 12 hours which can become 13 hours or more hours? Commute times, are they an issue for your work day?

I ask because I would like to get back to a more sociable work schedule of 8 hour days, or 4 tens, with hours that allow me to hike before or after work, and also have weekends off for regular socialization. That may sound like an odd thing, but when you have off when everyone else is working, and visa versa, it gets old.
Society's constraints are stifling! The only way to hike is fully nude!

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Jul 31 2013 8:31 pm

Need to re-read the "4 Hour Workweek" so I can figure out a way to get in some more AEG. Would hate for work to get in the way of my hiking, running and other pursuits.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

johnlp
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp » Jul 31 2013 9:06 pm

Most of the "top AEG performers" work. Six of the top eight do for sure. Joe puts in 12+ hours a day on the website, so I would call that working too. That makes seven of eight. Not sure about MrBadBern, but I will guess he works as well. Getting in more hiking is merely prioritizing it in your life. :)
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

Charger55
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Charger55 » Aug 01 2013 2:04 am

@Jim_H
I pull four 10s right now and it's a sweet deal IMO. At least it was before I took on more hours at my part time gig. I work behind-the-scenes in television full time and then work weekends as an on-air personality (DJ) at a radio station, about 55 hours a week total. I took up hiking as a hobby because my days off are Monday and Tuesday. Like you said, it gets old when no one you know has the same days off as you. So I hike...
"I've driven across deserts, driven by the irony, that only being shackled to the road could ever I be free"
- Frank Turner "The Road"

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”