Personal Topics :: Less Hiking/Outdoors/etc

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Airplane museum in Valle

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 07 2015 5:14 pm

If you have not been to the Planes of Fame air museum in Valle, just south of Grand Canyon, you may want to check it out. It's a lot more extensive than I expected, with many finely restored planes inside the big hangar, and more outside. There are all sorts of military history displays, etc. etc. Costs $6.95 to get in, or less for AAA & children. Free for active military. http://planesoffame.org/index.php?page= ... z-location
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

desertdryad
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Airplane museum in Valle

Post by desertdryad » Jul 09 2015 12:41 pm

Thanks for this! I'm going up to the Grand Canyon soon, and my other half would LOVE to see this place... even though we are going to the North rim, and it's 'just a little' out of the way. I imagine it is better (quicker) to get to the North rim from Valle by going back down to Flag, vs. skirting the S. rim?

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 09 2015 1:40 pm

desertdryad wrote:I imagine it is better (quicker)
Looks like it's about 30 miles farther to go back to Flagstaff. The time difference is wildly variable though. Depending on the time of day, Hwy64 (Desert View Drive) can be pretty quick, and definitely shorter than going back to Flagstaff. I think it's posted 50mph most of the way. But unless you are driving it early in the morning or after sunset, I'm sure it can be dreadfully slow if you get caught behind sight-seeing tourists. (Also if there's a line to wait in just to enter the park!)

I would personally try to take the shorter route along the south rim. It's more scenic, and if you haven't been there you can make a stop or two at the viewpoints along the way. But traffic and time of day would definitely be a factor in that decision.

HAZ members azbackpackr and hippiepunkpirate drive for tour companies up there and I'd take whatever they have to say as more valuable than my thoughts.
Highway to hell

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jul 09 2015 2:11 pm

azbackpackr wrote:If you have not been to the Planes of Fame air museum in Valle, just south of Grand Canyon, you may want to check it out. It's a lot more extensive than I expected, with many finely restored planes inside the big hangar, and more outside. There are all sorts of military history displays, etc. etc. Costs $6.95 to get in, or less for AAA & children. Free for active military. http://planesoffame.org/index.php?page= ... z-location
https://www.groupon.com/deals/planes-of ... 283_ap*1t1
desertdryad wrote:Thanks for this! I'm going up to the Grand Canyon soon, and my other half would LOVE to see this place... even though we are going to the North rim, and it's 'just a little' out of the way. I imagine it is better (quicker) to get to the North rim from Valle by going back down to Flag, vs. skirting the S. rim?
It appears that they will have a P-51 Mustang flight on August 22nd in Valle, but I suspect it will likely be at Pulliam in Flagstaff, as that is the weekend for the 'Thunder over Flagstaff' Fly-in with war bird, vintage and homebuilt planes invited. I even heard that for a fee you can take a ride in an Otter or a P-51!
Attachments
P-51D.jpg
kurt

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 09 2015 3:12 pm

I drive the "East Rim" on 64 several times a week and usually find traffic moves along at 45 to 50 mph in the Park, with very few problems. (Occasionally there is a giant bull elk that everyone wants to stop to see.) Posted speed is 45 until you leave the park past Desert View, when it eventually goes up to 65. People generally zip along at speed limit or slightly above.

From Valle I would not even consider going all the way back to Flag to get to Cameron and N. Rim. Even on a holiday weekend with very long wait to get in you will still save time by going into the Park, I feel. If you are going on a weekday it should not be much of a problem.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

desertdryad
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by desertdryad » Jul 12 2015 6:34 am

Just checking back in.. ah. Good to know. I just figure a place like the GC, one needed to avoid the main entrance at all costs :) .. It's been a few years since I've been to the S. rim, so I'm not familiar with how the traffic can be these days!
I think we will take the advice here and drive the E. rim road on the way to the N. rim, especially as this will be on a Monday.

Return to “HAZ - Member Related”