Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Mt Charleston primitive camping w/ car

Post by te_wa » Jul 06 2019 7:25 pm

hey all, looking for some tips for at-large/primitive camping near Mt Charleston

btw, Hilltop was my first choice if I had to stay at a campground, but it is Closed for remodeling.. we're trying to stay near the Trail canyon/South Loop area without paying redonkulous prices at the "campgrounds" full of RV's and noise...

I get that it's doable to find a spot off the main road, I just don't see much info about where to go, what the better spots are, etc..

plan is next weekend, so holla back with your ideas.. GPS coords are fine. regular driving directions like "turn left at the red post, go 40 feet past the large rock" are good too.. :D
:D

LindaAnn
TangyPlaid Slemonindapelli
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: Mt Charleston primitive camping w/ car

Post by LindaAnn » Jul 06 2019 7:36 pm

Are you wanting to be up in the pines, or down in the pinyon-type trees a little lower off Kyle Canyon Rd? If you don’t mind high desert/pinyon, I know of some spots. 4wd not necessary, but helpful, at least medium clearance.
Last edited by LindaAnn on Jul 06 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toddak
Solo Adventurepelli
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Jul 06 2019 7:50 pm

I've camped along Mack's Canyon Road off Highway 156 at about 7500', decent.

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jul 07 2019 7:02 am

There is free camping off of Harris Mtn. Rd as well as some sites on Telephone Canyon Rd.. and Champion Road which is also called Road 203.

From July3, 2015

"Spring Mountains National Recreation Area is expected to fill up fast this holiday weekend, and there just aren’t enough developed campsites to go around, despite $55 million in renovations over the past three years.
That effort(?) actually resulted in far less campsites — not more — at the Las Vegas Valley’s favorite place to escape the summer heat.
Though some new campsites were built, the recreation area wound up losing two entire campgrounds as a result of the work(?) that began in 2012 and wrapped up this spring. Total sites went DOWN; from 219 to 129. Old wooden tables and fire rings on bare ground were replaced by new tables and raised grills on concrete pads that can accommodate wheelchairs.
The Old Mill and Kyle Canyon picnic areas used to be campgrounds with about 100 spaces between them, according to a Forest Service visitor guide from 2010. Both areas have since been converted to day use only, mostly out of concern about flooding."
."
Last edited by hikeaz on Jul 07 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Jul 07 2019 8:06 am

thanks guys. now that I have the general areas pinned, im thinking to drive up Telephone and check for good spots next weekend. hoping the weekend warriors got the 2x a year "camping" out of their systems... and I have the place to myself.. ha
likely if nothing along Telephone i'll keep going and check out Mack's or Champion.

te_wa
Squirrelock Holmes

Post by te_wa » Jul 10 2019 5:46 pm

lastly, what does anyone know about the Cave spring? I've not found anything notable telling me of it's reliablility. although it was a wet winter, hits on my question are rare. gal on a phone today told me that the ranger station near Kyle canyon doesn't have a phone! what the...
any links to info about the Cave Spring out there? sheeshush.

chumley
Highway Artist
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 10 2019 5:49 pm

@te_wa
There's a really good website for over there at www.hikenv.com

Check it out. It even has water reports for springs like Cave Spring!

:)
Highway to hell

Return to “Looking for a Hike”