Showshoeing

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Crocodile Ryan
City, State: Tempe, Az

Showshoeing

Post by Crocodile Ryan » Nov 25 2006 12:56 pm

does anyone know any good areas to go snowshoeing, that are reasonably accessible?

Id like to go anytime from mid december through january

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 25 2006 3:55 pm

Pole Knoll is nice, near Sunrise and Greer. Anywhere in the White Mtns. when there is enough snow!

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Nov 26 2006 6:36 am

I usually end up going up into Utah, since they seem to get more snow. Brian Head/Cedar Breaks area, and Bryce in particular. This year I may end up doing some on the Kaibab, for my job, depending on how much it snows and where the birds go.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Nov 27 2006 4:03 pm

The Dry Lake Hills near Schultz Pass outside of Flagstaff.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Crocodile Ryan

Post by Crocodile Ryan » Dec 05 2006 8:42 pm

Im a little crazy after last years trip to reavis in march when we were snowed in overnight, but i would like to do an overnighter, it was just too beautiful out there with all the snow, i mean how many people have seen the superstition wilderness like my group did last year?

http://hikearizona.com/photocodeZOOM.php?ID=2282

look a jaybirds write up of the adventure, good for a laugh!

so are any of these locations good for an overnight trip?

Crocodile Ryan

Post by Crocodile Ryan » Dec 05 2006 8:45 pm

I am the 4th moron -lol

Akâ Tavy
City, State: Mesa, AZ

A little late, but better than never.

Post by Akâ Tavy » May 17 2007 12:49 pm

The Jones Crossing area (the last turn-off before Clints Well coming from the south) is more than decent, and even easier to access. I snowshoed (snowshod?) up to Dry Lake from there in January. The snow was deep and there were no trails making for some tiring work but it was very enjoyable.

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Showshoeing

Post by Jim_H » Nov 25 2019 9:13 am

No need for a new thread.

I'm look for new areas that are Not The San Francisco Peaks, or around Flagstaff, and preferably not more than 2 to 3 hours from the Valley. Also, car accessible. Also, I'm not going to the White Mts, or Jacob Lake. Those are not within my drive radius.

The Mogollon Rim is about it. Aside from the Babe Haught to Knoll Lake route popularized in 2016, which certainly appears promising, are there other areas that are recommended? I had considered parking on the side of HWY 87 and hiking to Baker Butte, and maybe the Rim itself, for a view. I should point out that I would want to have views along the Rim, so Clint's Wells is probably not great.
:o

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 25 2019 10:24 am

The challenge is paved/open road access to somewhere with deep enough snow for snowshoeing.

Babe works because the hatchery plows the road even during a snow event. Pine Canyon is another quick up from a paved lot (or at least the restaurant across the street). The other rim trails (See, Drew, Devin) require a dirt road which may be impassable after snow. If little or no snow and you can make the drive, then you are hiking up to elevation before switching to snowshoes.

There are no views on the Baker Butte route, and ADOT does not plow the pullout at 300 on the west side anyway. There is an ADOT maintenance road about a mile away but you have to hoof it on the 87, which is treacherous at best. ADOT does plow the 300 pullout/visitor center on the east side, but often not for a day or two after a storm, so you can't count on being able to park anywhere near where you want to.

You're basically asking the haz equivalent of the hiking trail with waterfalls and no people within half an hour of Phoenix. Some things are worth a little extra effort. Put it in and you'll be rewarded.
Profound observer

toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak » Nov 25 2019 2:24 pm

Jim_H wrote:I should point out that I would want to have views along the Rim, so Clint's Wells is probably not great.
If you snowshoe about 5 miles west from Clint's Well you'll have great rim views - down into West Clear Creek :D

DmN
City, State: Laveen, Arizona

Re:

Post by DmN » Nov 25 2019 4:03 pm

PaleoRob wrote:
Nov 26 2006 6:36 am
Brian Head/Cedar Breaks area, and Bryce in particular.
Seconding this. When I used to live in Utah the above mentioned areas where favorites for x-country and shoeing. Good stuff! :D
Embrace the suck.

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » Nov 26 2019 9:23 am

@DmN
While Bryce Canyon NP would be really cool this weekend, it's kinda far. Cedar Breaks would also be a neat winter destination for snowshoeing.
:o

LindaAnn
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by LindaAnn » Nov 26 2019 10:51 am

Most anywhere on the Markagunt Plateau will have good snowshoeing. Rent a room in Brian Head or Duck Creek Village and just start walking. The ridge on the south side of Navajo Lake has great views, especially to the south looking at Zion.

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 26 2019 1:00 pm

JimH: The White Mountains are too far
HAZ: try Utah!
:lol: ](*,)
Profound observer

Nighthiker
City, State: Payson

Post by Nighthiker » Nov 26 2019 11:03 pm

I was thinking of the [ Bearfoot Trail ] near Pine.
bf.png
Snowcast
[ point forecast ]
jk

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Nov 27 2019 7:40 am

Has anyone tried snowless snowshoeing? I hear it's the latest fad in Phoenix. You can do it while wearing shorts and fishing for sand trout.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Looking for a Hike”