Moody Point Access

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
GeeEss
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Moody Point Access

Post by GeeEss » Mar 19 2020 12:58 pm

I see three access trails others have used to reach Moody Point (203, 203a, and Aztec), but wonder about a fourth. Has anyone tried reaching the ruin by hiking to the uranium mine along Deep Creek from 203a? Why can't we just cross Deep Creek near the first mine, then shoot up to the ridge line SW of the ruin? Looks a lot easier than any of the other routes, at least on paper.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Moody Point Access

Post by Grasshopper » Mar 19 2020 5:05 pm

@GeeEss
Yes, this Upper Deep Creek route from FR203A crossDeep Creek from the Uranium Mine then up the ridge on the other side (Oregon_Hiker & I named Bull Canyon Rim Hike) is a doable route and this rugged off trail route up the ridge to the top is where this [ photo ] was taken of Moody Point Ruins in April'18. It is also the ridge route where I lost my Canon camera on the bushwhack up to the ridge top :sweat: At the top of the Ridge where this pic was taken, go left to Moody Point Ruins. We took the ridge top to the right for other reasons.

Just to confirm: there is no easy hiking route to access the Moody Point Ruins.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

GeeEss

Post by GeeEss » Mar 19 2020 5:33 pm

Gosh, sorry to hear about your camera.

Thanks for the info. So you believe this is at least no more difficult an access route than any other? 'Cause it's a super easy hike to the mine. And this seems much shorter than the more conventional approach without many of the ups and downs.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Mar 19 2020 5:51 pm

GeeEss wrote:So you believe this is at least no more difficult an access route than any other?
I would say not any more difficult than the other 3 option routes We actually had plans and a drawn .gpx planning route from the top of the ridge left (north) to the ruins, but after reaching the ridge top, we both knew we did not have enough time nor energy for an out and back or a loop via Moody Pt Tr 140 to connect wth the Deep Creek Trail #128 back to the TH Start..
Read Oregon_Hiker's 4/21/18 triplog for more details. Also, I just realized that HAZ-FOTG did the loop hike on the same date as OH and I did, earlier in the day [ photoset ]

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Mar 19 2020 7:00 pm

@GeeEss I’ve done what you are talking about. An old overgrown road bed will take you to the bottom of Deep Creek, where you cross and just pick the path of least resistance to the ridgeline. I have also taken the trail. It looks like it took me six hours RT via trail. I could probably do the shortcut in less time, but not entirely sure if that makes the shortcut a better option...

DarthStiller
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Mar 19 2020 10:31 pm

Grasshopper wrote:Just to confirm: there is no easy hiking route to access the Moody Point Ruins.
I concur...

[ photoset ]

GeeEss

Post by GeeEss » Mar 20 2020 5:28 pm

friendofThundergod wrote:I could probably do the shortcut in less time, but not entirely sure if that makes the shortcut a better option...
Hell, it's a 6-MILE shortcut. How bad could it be?

friendofThundergod
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Mar 20 2020 7:20 pm

@GeeEss Ya go for it, if that’s the difference, I mean I did it with a 13 year old dog and a grumpy hiking partner, it’s not that bad...

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Mar 20 2020 8:31 pm

friendofThundergod wrote: it’s not that bad...
Baloney! I say- maybe not that bad using the short cut route from FR203A-TH Start via Deep Creek-Up the Ridge- then off-trail north [ photo ] to Moody Point Ruins, but doing the same reverse route (the shortcut route) back from the ruins site will be no shortcut physically. I know that I'm thinking now like an old guy which I am, but I think I'm correct on this one. To me it would make better sense after reaching the ruin site via the shortcut route, to connect with the short section of overgrown, route finding Moody Point Tr 140 to connect with some overgrowth, route finding Deep Creek Tr 128 back to FR203A-TH Start and different scenery to enjoy and a loop hike (which Oregon_Hiker would agree with) 😉

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Mar 21 2020 6:58 am

:stp: :stp: :stp: I’m thinking during this thread I could have driven from Colorado visited the dwelling and driven back by now.
:) Just go hike it already and post pics. I haven’t been to the Sierra Ancha in 6+ years!
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

GeeEss

Post by GeeEss » Mar 21 2020 12:00 pm

@MtnBart01
Sounds good in theory, but truth is I'm still recovering from bagging Woolsey Peak four days ago (brutal!), and Moody Point is another hike probably right at the very limit of my ability. I'll get there, but want to make Cooper Forks first, and that outing is imminent.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Mar 21 2020 12:20 pm

GeeEss wrote: but want to make Cooper Forks first, and that outing is imminent.
Plan to be wet crossing Cherry Creek for an imminent outing to Cooper Forks as I would bet there will be few, if any, close proximity rock hop opportunities with the present Cherry Creek flow level.

GeeEss

Post by GeeEss » Mar 21 2020 12:48 pm

@Grasshopper
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll plan on carrying my boots across.

GeeEss

Post by GeeEss » Mar 26 2020 5:14 pm

I'm starting to rethink this whole Cooper Forks thing. This will be a VERY difficult, wet half mile hiking along Cherry Creek due to a high water level, yes?

Would Devil's Chasm be a better choice? Have not done that either, but will water level possibly prove an obstacle there, as well?

If so, then it will be Moody Point this coming Tuesday. But then I'm wondering, just how deep is Deep Creek? LOL

I've had all three of these on my radar for quite a long time now, and I'm in really good hiking shape (for me) right now, so really want to hike one of these sites while I can.

Return to “Looking for a Hike”