Looking for a route from Flagstaff to Sedona

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SteveHall
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Looking for a route from Flagstaff to Sedona

Post by SteveHall » Jun 18 2020 5:17 pm

I'm doing some research for a possible future hike from Flag to Sedona. If you have any info or suggestions please let me know. Thanks

nonot
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Looking for a route from Flagstaff to Sedona

Post by nonot » Jun 18 2020 6:15 pm

This comes up every once in awhile, and I don't know a way to do this without some amount of off trail travel or road walking.

The easiest way is probably to use the Flagstaff Loop trail to get out of town where you can road walk unpaved roads near the highway until you can drop into Kelly canyon and Pumphouse wash to get you to 89, then Telephone to Purtymon back to 89 then Sterling trail to Brins Mesa, and you pop out in downtown Sedona. Considering you're pretty close to the highway most of the times it's not my idea of a great route, but it is perhaps the shortest unless you decide to just hike 89 the whole way (which may be illegal?).
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jun 18 2020 6:39 pm

[ Flagstaff Loop Trail ] to [ Rogers Trail - Coconino NF ] gets you pointed in the direction [ Flagstaff trails leading towards Sedona :: map ]

The [ Black Canyon Trail :: map ] Coalition's long-term dream is for the trail to extend all the way to Williams.
Perhaps by 2052 the [ Maricopa Trail :: map ] to Flagstaff will be a central loop with the [ Arizona Trail :: map ] .
Unless the BCT goes oddly west of Sycamore then Sedona is reasonable to network over.
- joe

no avatar
ShatteredArm

Post by ShatteredArm » Jun 18 2020 7:17 pm

If you're willing to do a couple of ~10 mile dirt road stretches, you could head over to Sycamore Canyon for some miles, and then head back towards Sedona via Dogie or Taylor Cabin trail. Something like this:
[ Flagstaff to Sedona :: map ]

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jun 18 2020 7:31 pm

@ShatteredArm
That would be my thought, though I might head down Loy from Secret Mtn instead of going all the way over to Sycamore.

On the opposite side, you could piece together roads and relatively open forest off-trail hiking east of I-17, cross at Munds Park, and hit the top of Schnebly Hill taking Munds Wagon Trail down right into town.

It all really depends what your priorities/goals are.
Not guilty plea on all 3 counts

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jun 19 2020 8:26 am

Sterling Pass to Secret/Dry Creek?
“In de taal zit een vrijheid verborgen waar de censor niet bij kan. Al onze schrijvers kennen dat geheim.”

SteveHall
City, State: Cave Creek, AZ

Post by SteveHall » Jun 20 2020 11:07 am

Thanks all for the replies. @ShatterdArm I will take a closer look at your route. Thanks for the suggestions!

Return to “Looking for a Hike”