Mt. Whitney Alternative

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Mt. Whitney Alternative

Post by SpiderLegs »

So 2020 strikes again, Mt Whitney and the areas around it are closing at 5 PM today due to smoke and potential fire risk. The closure is day to day right now, so I am scrambling for a back up plan. Our permit is in 10 days, so hopefully things reopen within a week.

In prep for Mt. Whitney, our party has plans to camp in Cedar Breaks National Monument to next week Sunday through Tuesday. What would be a worthy peak or long death march that is within a 4-6 hour drive of southern Utah to add to our list of back-ups to vote on as a group?

I was thinking Wheeler Peak in Nevada and another is thinking about peaks around Durango.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Mt. Whitney Alternative

Post by joebartels »

Albeit a scorcher on the near sea level approach, the upper end is refreshing.
[ Telescope Peak from Shorty's Well ]
- joe
SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs »

@joebartels - That's been on my short list for a while. But I'm not holding my breath that anything in California will be open. Or if it is, I'll be able to breath without an oxygen tank.
outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover »

I hope the fires die down before your trip. Last time there was a bad fire in Cali, I was in Colorado and it sucked for air quality as well. Utah was horrid and I was on the east side. Even I had a hard time breathing and got pretty sick from all of it. Spent a lot of time in my car, really sick. Two weeks on a smoky road about killed me I think.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"
Jim_H
City, State: Rancho Relaxo

Post by Jim_H »

Wait and see.

But if Whitney is closed, it seems unlikely western Nevada is going to be better. You'll gain a clearer picture of the conditions in a week. Personally, if Whitney ended up having good air right before, I would want to do that since you've been planning for it.

I nominate Mt Charleston from the North and Trail Canyon as a substitute. [ Charleston Peak from Trail Canyon ]
Reaching new standards in excelence.
toddak
City, State: Puhoynix, AZ

Post by toddak »

I thoroughly enjoyed the Rattlesnake Creek - Ashdown Gorge route, doing it both directions would be a good death march
[ Rattlesnake Creek - Ashdown Gorge Trail ]
SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs »

Jim_H wrote: Sep 07 2020 2:41 pm Wait and see.

But if Whitney is closed, it seems unlikely western Nevada is going to be better. You'll gain a clearer picture of the conditions in a week. Personally, if Whitney ended up having good air right before, I would want to do that since you've been planning for it.

I nominate Mt Charleston from the North and Trail Canyon as a substitute. [ Charleston Peak from Trail Canyon ]
That's on the short list as well. Appears Whitney is shut down due to fire risk and not from smoke from the current fires. The entire area is shut down as of 10 minutes ago. California will have to wait until next year.
sidhayes

Post by sidhayes »

@SpiderLegs
Wheeler Pk.would not be a Worthy peak but you mentioned the peaks around Durango. The day trek to Chicago Basin and climbing all of the three 14ers above it and return would be Worthy. This is not riding the non existant train service, but taking the Purgatory Trail as access.
PrestonSands
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by PrestonSands »

@SpiderLegs Do you know if there is a website that has current closure info for Mount Whitney?
"As soon as I can I’m sneaking back in them mountains..." -Johnny Paycheck
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

Championing breakfast since 1994.
PrestonSands

Post by PrestonSands »

@chumley Thank you! I don’t know California geography very well.
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

@PrestonSands
This is actually a common dilemma for a lot of hikers, even here within Arizona. The HAZ map has an excellent feature under the options menu called "find boundaries" (in the crosshair section). Just center the map on your area of interest and HAZ will identify the forest (or other public land), county, and the USGS 24k Topo quad name. In this case, click on "Inyo" and if it was working right, the map boundaries of the Inyo Forest would be highlighted on the map. Of course, once you are aware of the land management agency for the location you are interested in, it's much easier to visit the official website when researching current conditions, permit requirements, etc. It's one of the great tools that the HAZ map provides.
Attachments
inyo.jpg
Championing breakfast since 1994.
wallyfrack
City, State: AZ

Post by wallyfrack »

@PrestonSands Some guys were photographed by the Wilderness sign a few years back. :lol:

[ photo ]
PrestonSands

Post by PrestonSands »

@wallyfrack That was such a great trip! 😃

Return to “Looking for a Hike”