Hikes With Scrambles At The End?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
SpiderLegs
Brand Emphasizer
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Hikes With Scrambles At The End?

Postby SpiderLegs » Jun 08 2017 9:25 pm

So is there a way to search for hikes that I haven't found where you can see if there is a scramble or a bit of climbing at the end? My favorite peaks generally involve a class 3 or class 4 at the end of the hike.

chumley
Pitchin' Tent Expert
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Hikes With Scrambles At The End?

Postby chumley » Jun 08 2017 10:52 pm

I think if it's class 3 or 4 most generally consider it still to be "hiking" and I don't know of any way to search HAZ for hikes like that. There is a category in trailDEX that is "hike and climb" but it only features hikes that end with technical climbing (Weaver's Needle is the best example near Phx).

Bighorn Peak (just picking one you have done) seems to be what you are asking about, but I don't know a way to identify that as a hike with a scramble at the end versus other hikes that don't have a class 3-4 scramble at the end.
3-minute master!

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Needles, CA

Postby azbackpackr » Jun 10 2017 3:04 am

Cathedral
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

xthine
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Sedona, AZ

Postby xthine » Jun 14 2017 3:43 pm

This summer I am hoping to do a 14er with a class 3 section to the summit, so interested in finding hikes here in northern AZ that have class 3 sections/stretches. This will be my first class 3 14er, I've been on one with a class 3 move, but not a long section. I have not been able to find any practice hikes in the area, the longer the class 3 section the better, more practice.

zlewis
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Dallas, TX

Postby zlewis » Jun 14 2017 6:25 pm

xthine wrote:This summer I am hoping to do a 14er with a class 3 section to the summit, so interested in finding hikes here in northern AZ that have class 3 sections/stretches. This will be my first class 3 14er, I've been on one with a class 3 move, but not a long section. I have not been able to find any practice hikes in the area, the longer the class 3 section the better, more practice.

Luckily, you don't need to practice. Class 3 practice was also known as childhood; I've seen plenty of grade-school children on top of Class 3 summits. It has no technical component, and is much over-hyped by certain people on the interwebs. Class 4 and above are a different story. That being said, I still encourage you to seek out Class 3 hikes, because they're the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Once you get above Class 2, you're basically going off trail, so find any old rocky section of terrain and have at it.
"He who climbs Mt. Fuji is a wise man; he who climbs it twice is a fool." - Japanese proverb

xthine
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Sedona, AZ

Postby xthine » Oct 16 2017 2:01 pm

@zlewis Still looking for hikes with Class 3 here in town, have not made any progress. I have however enrolled at a climbing gym and now addicted to bouldering. :y: Figure that would help with > class 3 hikes, I think it's the exposure that might get me a bit though. :scared:

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Postby nonot » Oct 16 2017 7:29 pm

Class 3 is not hiking, so you won't really find any "class 3 hikes". This is scrambling territory, and you want to look for terrain that would involve scrambling. I'd bet if you went to climb Bear Mountain or Wilson Mountain for example, but tried to not use the trail at all, you would encounter some class 3 terrain along the way, as well as get thoroughly thrashed in the process. Class 3 terrain is generally pretty crappy - it involves usually some breakdown scree slope, or other nasty stuff that isn't that steep (a slope for sure, but nowhere near vertical) but where you have to carefully place your feet and use your hands for stabilization. On mountains, you at least forego the manzanita jungle that you will encounter in your travels near Sedona. Wear a helmet!
Last edited by nonot on Oct 16 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Postby nonot » Oct 16 2017 7:31 pm

I would describe the Chute used to get to Brown's Peak as mostly class 3. The little wall you have to climb in there perhaps is class 4.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

traildirt
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Postby traildirt » Oct 20 2017 9:17 am

I agree with the above description of brown's chute...its a pleasant hike and a decent scramble...the drive from town is kinda crappy tho

as far as in town scrambles you can get in some class 3/4 at papago park...the east side of the squaw peak summit as well...there is some ok scrambling around camelback if you know where to look (ie: west summit)

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Postby azbackpackr » Oct 28 2017 5:35 am

Would like to find someone to hike Wabayuma Peak with me.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

chumley
Pitchin' Tent Expert
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Postby chumley » Oct 28 2017 6:04 am

@azbackpackr
I'll hike it if you drive.
3-minute master!

azbackpackr
River Paddler

Postby azbackpackr » Oct 28 2017 6:07 am

@chumley
Hmm, yeah, I read your drive description! :o

Return to “Looking for a Hike”