Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Stavman
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Glendale

3 day Hike Mogollon Rim, any Suggestions

Post by Stavman » Aug 23 2017 11:33 am

I need to escape, doldrums of life is getting to me ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Planing on leaving this Sunday 8/27 for like 3 days. Was debating on Car Camping and now thinking maybe a backpack trip. Havent been out in months so not in great Hiking shape :scared:

Want to Fish, relax, campfire if possible but I know that may be a stretch. If I hike Id say maybe 5mi a day or so, just to be relaxed and not stressed

I know the lakes look fun, never been to any of them. Chevelon is on my List, and Willow and Woods Canyon. I have a 8' Zodiac and Elec Motor so am also considering bringing It

So any ideas all you pro's would be great. Never really been up there in like 30yrs, so its all new to me

Thanks All

Stav

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: 3 day Hike Mogollon Rim, any Suggestions

Post by outdoor_lover » Aug 23 2017 8:47 pm

The Zodiac and Electric Motor might make your Pack a bit heavy if you're looking to Backpack....
On Weekdays, Woods Canyon and Willow would be much nicer and the Fishing is usually pretty good, especially on Willow... You've also got Bear Canyon Lake and Knoll Lake in the Vicinity and there's Hiking at Woods, Willow, Bear and even Knoll if you're a Glutton for Punishment.... Black Canyon Lake is also a nice Option.... Chevelon is difficult to get a Boat to, you have to Hike in...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Stavman
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Stavman » Aug 24 2017 7:34 am

Ya.. that Xtra 120# of boat may limit my backpacking distance...LOL

Im Kinda leaning towards Woods or Willow, Not sure what the Camping situation is there but landing Sunday may work in my favor

Starting my final research and planning now

trekkin_gecko
Capra Collisopelli
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Aug 24 2017 7:54 am

I've camped at sinkhole campground - about a mile from willow springs lake
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/asnf/re ... ecid=44697

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Aug 24 2017 10:11 am

There is also Dispersed Camping within a few miles of either Direction from those Lakes....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Stavman
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Stavman » Aug 24 2017 10:24 am

For sure thats where Im going.

Found some good trail logs from the Willow/Woods lakes. Thin k Ill pack up my crud, and do some recon up there.
Found nice light Deep cycle battery for the Zodiac. Now to just get my Poop in a group for Camping.

Man its been years since I car Camped, Guess Ill load up all my Backpacking vomit and some Creature Comforts and go relax

ALMAL
Huck Finn Kokopelli
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL » Aug 25 2017 1:11 pm

@Stavman
Cruise into Knoll lake with your boat and take your pick of campsites on Sunday afternoon. The one at the end of Babe Haught trail is nice. Then you can launch many different day hikes from camp.
The fishing is still pretty good if you know what to use...
You aren't late if you don't show up!

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli

Post by outdoor_lover » Aug 25 2017 2:05 pm

ALMAL wrote:Cruise into Knoll lake with your boat and take your pick of campsites on Sunday afternoon. The one at the end of Babe Haught trail is nice. Then you can launch many different day hikes from camp.
The fishing is still pretty good if you know what to use...
@Oregon_Hiker Memories.... :D

Return to “Looking for a Hike”