Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
leelogan
Exploring Kokopelli

Apache Sitegreaves Backpacking Ideas

Post by leelogan » Jun 27 2018 2:54 pm

Hi all, new to the forum. Looks like a good source of knowledge for hiking in AZ. I'm from CA but will be spending some time in Prescott. Looking for trip ideas for a 2-3 night backpacking trip.

I've more or less narrowed my scope down to Apache Sitegreaves, specifically the Alpine RD. I'd prefer hiking near running water, and would also love to cast a line or two if possible (my understanding is the Black River and Blue River are both running right now). If anyone has any inspiration for me that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
LL

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Apache Sitegreaves Backpacking Ideas

Post by hikeaz » Jun 27 2018 4:32 pm

You do not mention the time of year for your trip, but I would suggest the Black over the Blue this time of year due to elevation and better chance for fish. Bear Wallow is one access point - nice camping near the Black/B.W. confluence. Note: Investigate White Mountain Apache Tribal permit requirements.
kurt

no avatar
leelogan
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by leelogan » Jun 27 2018 6:03 pm

@hikeaz Thank you for the reply. In the next week or two!

no avatar
leelogan
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by leelogan » Jun 27 2018 6:37 pm

Apologies for the several separate replies. But thanks for the idea about the Black/BW confluence idea. Looks like a good one, I'll have to call some folks tomorrow to figure out the reservation permit situation.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 27 2018 8:19 pm

Hiking upstream or downstream from Wildcat Crossing on the Black River Mainstem is very nice, but you need to wear the kind of shoes you'd wear to Aravaipa Canyon. You have to cross the river a lot. You also need at least one hiking pole, although two are better. See my triplongs and photos on here: [ Black River - Mainstem ]
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

no avatar
lhalloran
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by lhalloran » Jun 27 2018 9:51 pm

One of the spots in question that I came across was [ Steeple Mesa - Grant Creek ] that I have been strongly considering for the group that I am bringing in two weeks time.

I corresponded with a wonderfully friendly guide over in Alpine, AZ- Wendy Kreuger- who works at a nearby lodge about my plans for the trip, and she warned against that route on account of the amount of burned forest and limited flow of KP and Grant creeks. She suggested instead, as others in this thread have mentioned, that the Black River is the place to go. She did also warn of recent bear activity along the BR, so be cautious of scents and be sure to store your food in a safe location - either a bear can or suspended from a branch in a scent-proof container.

Here is the copied text from her last email:

Hi [my name]- yes it is running and you have plenty to filter. I would stay as high in elevation as you can for the heat. It was 83 in Alpine at 3pm today. To access the Black river at bear creek, take 191 to FS rd 26. Go west on 26 to a T intersection- 9 miles. Take left at T,FS 24, go about 2 miles to Bear creek- a trickle across the road. Go through this and up a short hill to a cattle guard. You will see an old loading chute and turn right to the circular drive trail head. The walk to Black river is about 1.5 miles. You will want to be mindful of bears- I have seen more than usual lately- they are targeting water areas.

Sounds like a nice time hiking that.

no avatar
leelogan
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by leelogan » Jun 27 2018 9:57 pm

Cool, all suggestions seem to be honing in on the Black River. Sounds like there are several different segments to explore (mainsteam above and below FR25, the forks) but I'll do my own research for those details! Thank you to all, maybe see you out there!

no avatar
lhalloran
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by lhalloran » Jun 27 2018 10:13 pm

I'll be out there weekend of the 6th in a group of 4, and am more than happy to share a campsite.
Last edited by lhalloran on Jun 27 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
lhalloran
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by lhalloran » Jun 27 2018 11:38 pm

Edited - you'll see us out there if you're there that weekend.
Last edited by lhalloran on Jun 28 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jun 28 2018 4:04 am

@lhalloran
I used to know Wendy when I lived in Eagar. And yes, Bear Creek is a good starting point. Lots of swimming holes, both up and downstream from there. Make sure your people have hiking poles, and shoes they can hike in wet. I can't emphasize poles enough.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Looking for a Hike”