Beginner 2 Night Trip Nearer to Phoenix

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

no avatar
wonderwoman78
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Beginner 2 Night Trip Nearer to Phoenix

Post by wonderwoman78 » Jan 15 2019 11:04 am

Hi! My husband and I are beginner backpackers though we are in pretty good shape as we trail run long distances. We want to do a TWO night overnight at the beginning of March.

I saw the forum about 1 night overnights for beginners but didn't see any suggestions for 2 nighters. We'd prefer to drive under 3 hours to get to our destination and we can take a shuttle if need be, (we can also take two cars and leave one at the other trailhead) as we don't want to do an out and back.

Any suggestions? We have no idea what to expect for miles per hour or how much to think we can do in a day, obviously trail running is so different with no pack on our back. :). Any help would be appreciated. We are here to learn.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Beginner 2 Night Trip Nearer to Phoenix

Post by big_load » Jan 15 2019 12:58 pm

One simple approach is to do two nights at Reavis Ranch, with a side trip to Circlestone on the middle day.
For a more traditional two-nighter, some version of the Charlebois Loop is good.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jan 15 2019 3:42 pm

March is perfect for the Sups.... most main creeks should contain some water, lightening your load and allowing you to do loops that are more problematic in drier times.
I would suggest purchasing (or checking out at the library) Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness (Carlson/Stewart) and formulate a trip that has what you may be looking for. Book has maps, stories, mileages, etc. It is well-written with great history and stories and the routes/trails are well-described.

I have backpacked with seasoned runners before - to a (wo) man I have heard "This is a LOT more difficult than I thought it would be".
That said.... suggest you plan on no more than 2mph moving average with your overnight(2) backpack; you may be faster, but better in camp early than a mid-trail bivouac.
Last edited by hikeaz on Jan 15 2019 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kurt

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jan 15 2019 5:08 pm

get permits for aravaipa. the leaves should be coming in, and it is a nice place to explore some nooks and side canyons, provided you will have an extra day. come in from the west, stay near booger canyon. look around. settle in. have some wine. live. just live.
:D

nonot

Post by nonot » Jan 15 2019 8:07 pm

I think March is perfect for the lower desert, so consider a Superstitions Backpack: Peralta to Charlesbois for night 1, shuttle over to LaBarge Spring for night 2, and bring it back home via Bluff Springs.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

DbleDutch

Post by DbleDutch » Jan 16 2019 9:42 pm

te_wa wrote:get permits for aravaipa. …….. stay near booger canyon.
Ssshhhhh it's a secret.

no avatar
wonderwoman78

Post by wonderwoman78 » Jan 17 2019 10:14 am

Thank you everyone! These suggestions are very helpful!

no avatar
wonderwoman78

Post by wonderwoman78 » Jan 21 2019 3:39 pm

I think we are going to do the Reavis Canyon option. Couple of questions....If we camp there both nights and on the 2nd day make a trip up to Circlestone, can we just leave our tent up with our stuff in it, other than a day pack or is that going to get our stuff stolen :) Also do we need something to put our food in to keep the critters/bears?? away? How do we handle food? And lastly we were thinking about borrowing or renting a GPS device for this trip. Needed for safety or navigation? Thanks!

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Jan 21 2019 4:17 pm

In my experience of having left a tent setup with gear - Have never had an issue in 30 years of backpacking.
A 'ratsack' or the like should suffice. If not available, cookie tins or metal canister(s) should suffice.
Route Scout on this site will be all the nav. you will need. (free)
kurt

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jan 21 2019 5:06 pm

For Circlestone you'll likely either be doing
Out-n-Back RS Import ID 34368
or loop
West Pinto Tr #212 > Campaign Tr #256 > Fireline Tr #118 > Circlestone > Fireline > Reavis Ranch Tr #109 RS Import ID 25647

Import either into Route Scout
Import > Search or ID > Enter ID

RS is just navigation. A Personal Locating Beacon or Satellite Messenger is for mishap type safety.

Superstition Wilderness Map by Beartooth is a great map too.
Likely available local at REI & Wide World of Maps
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 21 2019 6:24 pm

hikeaz wrote:In my experience of having left a tent setup with gear - Have never had an issue in 30 years of backpacking.
Me neither. I use an Ursack for food protection. I've seen several bears up there and nearly always see bear sign, so some form of food protection is definitely in order.

Return to “Looking for a Hike”