Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
vipyr
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Best Hiking In Pinetop or Greer

Post by vipyr »

This will be my familys first trip to Pinetop, this weekend. We have a partial day to hike on friday, and a full day on Saturday. We have never been to this part of Arizona, and my kids are really excited about going on some good hikes. Their ages are 14, 12, and 9. We do not want something that is too easy that presents no challange, but maybe something moderate, with streams or creeks, and has alot of wooded area in the pines. Can someone give me any suggestions on maybe a 5- 7 mile hike that would be pleasureable for my wife and I, and the kids ? It can be in Greer, Big Lake, or Pinetop/Lakeside. We are leaving tomorrow, so all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Mark in North Phoenix.
Kenny
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Kenny »

Mark
Try South Fork trail
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?TN=S ... Trail%2097

Great stream hike with shade.
Take a look at the pictures.

http://hikearizona.com/photocodeZOOM.php?ID=754

Kenny
no avatar
vipyr

Post by vipyr »

Thank you so very much for the quick reply. Can you tell me what area this is in ? Is it in Greer or Pinetop ? Ill check it out... and thanks again.
no avatar
vipyr

Too Long ?

Post by vipyr »

In response to vipyr's reply:

I just saw that the south fork trail is 14 miles ? Is that correct ? That might be just a tad bit too long for us. Let me know.
no avatar
vipyr

Post by vipyr »

In response to Kenny's reply:

One last thing , is a permit required, and is this a one way 14 mile hike ? That might just be a little too much.
bryanmertz

Post by bryanmertz »

Mt Baldy is pretty good - although you can't get to the summit due to local Indian restrictions.

Bryan
jmangum
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by jmangum »

Try the Los Burros Trail in the Pinetop area, it a great trail - There are two loops a long loop and a short loop. The short loop is only 7-8 miles and the long loop is about 14. I did it in July and it was beautiful. There isn't a lot of elevation gain so it would be good for kids.
"You know, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't work."
-Calvin
Kenny
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Kenny »

No permit required, you can hike as far as you like, (7 mi one way) or until you find a nice place for lunch.
I did not make it to Mex Hay lake, too many kids and slackers :D , so I can't tell you about the whole trail.
Location is east of Greer, about 5 or 7 miles west of Eagar, big sign on the side of the road.

Happy trails

K
no avatar
vipyr

Post by vipyr »

In response to Kenny's reply:

Thanks for the info, as this seems like the trail to hike, since it has streams and alot of pines, wooded areas. As long as we can turn around, but I thought that this was a one way hike ? Or does that just mean it is not a loop ? Thanks for the great info though.... much appreciated
BelladonnaTook
City, State: Lakeside, AZ

Re: Best Hiking In Pinetop or Greer

Post by BelladonnaTook »

East Fork is pretty and easy. A couple miles upstream from trailhead, sign indicates cross the creek and on to Mexican Hay Lake. Don't. Continue on stream-side trail for another mile until path appears to end. Now cross and you can walk several more miles upstream. Two ponderosa pines at the trailhead are among the largest I've seen anywhere.

Trail along west fork of Little Colorado is gorgeous right now. Follow Main Street through Greer past end of pavement all the way to end of road at parking lot with 2 toilets. Walk upsteam as far as you want. This is not an official trail so is unmanicured and vague in places, but you can't get lost.

Thompson Trail west of Big Lake is prettiest in White Mountains. Follows west fork (Black River) downstream about 3 miles. At the end you can cross the creek and continue up the West Fork trail through old growth fir and pine.

Contact Springerville ranger station for more information (928-333-4372).

Return to “Looking for a Hike”